1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Insider] Todd McShay Mock 3.0

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by FishBulb913, Mar 2, 2016.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Treadwell is NOT a speedster, but got better hands than coleman

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Still a chance if this was the Texans saying this:

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A large part of catching the ball is creating space between yourself and the DB (i.e. getting open).

The stated concern with Treadwell is whether his speed will be an issue limiting his ability to create separation. The most traditional way of getting open is by being faster/quicker than the DB in order to create separation. Apparently, Treadwell has had an above average number of contested catches in college. The stated logic is that the step up in athletic ability of DB's from college to the NFL will make that a bigger problem.

Separation, however, was also the concern with Anquan Boldin, who has been able to make it happen with a combination of other physical skills and good route running, and Kelvin Benjamin and Devin Funchess, who have been able to create a catch window with their size and length. So I think it is far from a fully realized problem, but rather more of a possible concern.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

He does for sure but think he has enough athleticism to play some 3-4 DE as well, at least for a season with Wilfork still in the middle.

Interesting note from Braddock on 790 this morning was that the Texans tried to trade back up into the first for Bud Dupree last year but couldn't get a deal done. That was right after we gave Mercilus that extension and drafted Clowney the year before. If true, the Texans still wanted to bolster their outside pass rush and even though Mercilus had a good season, wonder if last season changed anything.

5. 713

713 Member

Ryan Kelly is the best pick at 22. Logan Mankins clone. No need to swing for the fences with the 1st pick.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's just kind of wasteful to use that good of a pick on a center though. Even if they are an all pro caliber center they aren't as good as a very solid #2 WR. The difference between just a good center than you can get in the 2nd or 3rd round and the best center in the draft just isn't significant enough.

7. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Laquon Treadwell is the consensus No. 1 wide receiver in this draft amongst draftniks. Playmaker Score, however, disagrees. Even factoring his status as sure first-round pick, Playmaker Score ranks him as only the fifth best receiver available. So why is Treadwell's Playmaker so low?

Treadwell's rate statistics are not particularly impressive. Treadwell's best season was his junior year, when he recorded 1,153 yards and 11 touchdowns. Those are certainly fine numbers for a college wide receiver, but fall short of the numbers most highly drafted NFL wide receivers produce. For example, Amari Cooper produced 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns in his final season, even though his team passed less than Treadwell's team did. As another example, Nelson Agholor, who was considered only a fringe first-round prospect, put up 1,313 yards and 12 touchdowns in his final season on a team that also passed less than Treadwell's.

Treadwell's career yards per reception is also a below-average 11.8 yards per catch, although that number did improve as his college career progressed. Possession receivers in college rarely pan out in the NFL, and Treadwell did not have the rushing attempts that would mark him as the kind of "jack of all trades" wide receiver that sometimes succeeds in the NFL despite low yards per reception numbers.

Treadwell is coming out as a junior, but he is poised to have one of the worst projections ever for a first-round underclassman. Assuming that Treadwell is drafted in the first round, the list of first-round underclassmen wide receivers with the worst projections would be Jon Baldwin, Cordarrelle Patterson, Treadwell, Anthony Gonzalez, and Yatil Green.

8. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Didn't say I didn't like Treadwell, I actually prefer him to all the guys in consideration aside from Doctson. Just answering why the hype train has slowed down.

9. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Reading Coleman's draft profile he actually sounds like exactly what we need. I retract my support of Treadwell, haha. But still feel we should go DE/OL if a good one is available first round

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/sterling-shepard?id=2555295

Although if we don't get him in the first round I still say Shephard is the go to guy for the second round.

10. Marteen

Marteen Member

I'm not a doctor, but seeing how much improvement Duane has had over his injury has me not minding the Texans bypassing addressing their offensive line in the first few rounds.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

As much of a crapshoot as the draft is, you can say that about any position, but, as long as we get a C that fills the hole, and I think no later than the 3rd. I wouldn't push Ryan in the warroom.

I just think Hop, Strong and Shorts aren't the weakest spot, though Strong will probably face some suspension, Losing Crick needs to be addressed, and losing Jones needs to be addressed. Slot receiver/return man, Center, DE that can move inside, OL that can be ready for injury replacement, S/LB that can cover TE's, from those, BPA with emphasis on high motors.

I'll be really happy if we draft any 4 that make the team. No goobers like is Rick's mid-round pattern.

* I'd have Mike Mathews F/A contract printed and ready

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's the biggest thing...the mid rounders need to contribute something. Texans can't have another year where it's an absolute disappearing act

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

^Forgot to add one more tidbit to that:

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand why Greg Mancz is a non-factor in most people's minds, but I think that is a mistake. He has qualities that might grow into a legit NFL starter - certainly way above the average UFA. Before the Senior Bowl injury last year, he was on track to be a mid round draft pick, but he couldn't workout for teams after getting hurt. But he was getting a lot of positive press early during Senior Bowl week.

16. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Well hopefully Mancz can step in. We def don't need a project starting at OL next year. We have a real chance to get to a strong start with a weakened AFC and hopefully suspended Brady

17. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Why has Laquon Treadwells stock dropped?

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

His 40 time. Think he ran 4.67

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Draft needs, pre draft visits, and roster overview:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.