1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Insider: Summer Grades By Chad Ford

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gatorfan76, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

"You're damn right!"
    -Herschel Walker

2. Toast

Toast Member

I didn't know Herschel Walker played Shaft!

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"I agree!"

-- Bob McAdoo

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I concur with this assessment !

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:

My head hurts.

6. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

dispite his outrageous contracts and failures as a "franchise player" - as a third option, Howard is better than Cat

2003-04 stats
    Howard
    17 pts
    7 rebounds
    2 assists

Cat
    15.8 pts
    4.5 rebs
    3.2 assists

Cat may be a better 3 pts shooter (which is what SGs are suppose to do) - but Howard is a better rebounder (which is what PFs are suppose to do) -

at worse - they are equal (which makes the trade imbalanced for the Rockets)

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i didn't realize an all-star point guard, top 10 shooting guard, and shot-blocking center was nothing these days. not that we shouldn't do that trade every day of the week and twice on sundays but lets be reasonable. though that may be too much to ask of chad.

and mobley is definitely better than howard. juwan put up 17 as the second option, mobley has put up 21 as the second option before and his defense is much better than howard's. i'm pretty sure orlando didn't give us tmac for francis and then decide to hand over an equal player for mobley for kicks. it's more like mobley makes up for the francis/tmac differential and then some so howard helps make up for the cato/lue differential while getting rid of a bad contract for orlando.

8. indaclubam2pm

indaclubam2pm Contributing Member

we dint give up yao, hes our present, and our future, he is our team.

9. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

Chad Ford gets a D- in english.

10. mikelowery

mikelowery Member

I personally think both teams got what they each need...So i think they both won...even draw..

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I'd much rather have mobley over howard.

12. Sane

Sane Member

Common, you were asking for it:

T-Mac
    Kobe
    Pierce
    Vince Carter
    Iverson
    Michael Redd
    Ray Allen
    Lebron James

Those guys are all definitely better than Mobley, and I'm sure two of the following list are:

Rip Hamilton (My pick)
    Jamaal Crawford
    Manu Ginobili (My pick)
    Jason Richardson
    Bonzi Wells
    Quentin Richardson
    Derek Anderson
    Michael Finley
    Marquis Daniels
    Jimmy Jackson

Remember, we're talking top 10 SG at the moment, so don't tell me who has more potential... Mobley is way past the point of being considered a "potential" player... He's 29 years old, he's not really young anymore..

Eddie Jones, Allan Houston, Latrell Sprewell..... There's a large list.

Sure, you will pick apart each player, and name a weakness from each of these players and give me your incredibly optimistic view... But in the end, that's what it is, optimistic.... Realistically, Mobley is a top 15 SG. There are 15 teams in the league, so if you're #15, then you are the average SG.

Don't forget that Mobley won't have a post presence to play with next year, so expect his FG% and 3pt% to drop slightly. It's not a coincidence that Mobley became a terriffic 3-pt shooter once we centered the offense around a big man.

13. SlizardOO

SlizardOO Member

actually, if you check mobley's stats before YM came to the rockets you will see that his FG% and 3p% were actually higher. Cat was also scoring 6 more points a game without an inside presence.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/cuttino_mobley/index.html?nav=page