1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Insider] Should Rockets trade Lin, Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Broford, Jul 10, 2013.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Harden, Parsons, Bev, Smith...

2. visible

visible Member

3. visible

visible Member

4. recboil

recboil Member

i'm pretty sure morey and mchale have better things to do than play mind games and run plays just to increase a player's trade value. we're trying to win now and we're not wasting time now that we have D12.

5. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Excellent post. I don't understand why some people want to get rid of two great assets rather than just seeing if they'll fit for another year.

6. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Bev, harden, Parsons, morey....

7. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Personally I think Harden is the better playmaker, but that's my opinion. No you're saying run EXTRA plays so we can showcase him. That means less touches for others and changing the game plan so we cater to him.Lin isn't that good or special.

8. JasonXXX

JasonXXX Member

Here's the thing. Harden is a much, much, much, much better SG than Lin. So you can argue that you'll have a decent to good PG in Lin and an excellent SG in Harden. That's far better than a poor SG in Lin and a decent to good PG in Harden, which is what you have now. What's better for the team is obvious to me, but I'm not trying to tell others what they should believe with their own eyes.

1 person likes this.
  9. visible

visible Member

very good point.

10. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

In OKC, Harden was assisted on 85 to 90% of his 3's. He's an excellent spot up shooter.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Howard needs a playmaker on the floor. So if we are bringing Howard off the bench than lets bring Lin off the bench. I get what some of you are sayig. Popovich brought Ginobli off the bench for many years because he had enough scorers and wanted more D to start and a spark plug to come off the bench. But he didn't bring Parker off the bench he brought Ginobli the scorer. So what you really our suggesting is Harden should be that guy. Okay I know many are angered by the thought but the point is Harden would be a much better spark off the bench and could still get most of his minutes.

Okay that's never going to happen and it shouldn't. The biggest problem with Lin and Harden on the floor together is that we lose some of Lin's playmaking skills because Harden handles the ball most of the time. Okay so why not stop Harden from bringing the ball up the court and handling it so much. If we are truly trying to utilize Howards skills than that is in an inside out game. That is not anything like what we played last year and means we need a playmaker even more and means without improving at all Jeremy Lin is more important to this team. He is the better playmaker

Now if all of that was just garbage what they told Howard and they intend to continue to run the offense through Harden first just like LA ran through Kobe last season than maybe Beverly is the better option but even that is not automatic. It really depends on 3 pt shooting. If Lin has improved a lot more than Beverly in that area you still need that skillset and Lin over Beverly is a no-brainer then.

So lin off the bench does not mean better stats and more wins. It at best means Lin did not improve much and we are going more with harden than expected. In the end the Rockets will do what is best for the team. SO if you see Lin starting clearly McHale believes that is what's best for the team. He thought that last year and an improved Lin playing along side Howard will make him think that even more this year. Of course we can just what and see the reality of his decision.

12. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

I think this qualifies Lin with underrated-defense

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/RgnKxyNXick?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/RgnKxyNXick?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Another analysis video I found a few days ago

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Hmh9Q4Mx73I?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Hmh9Q4Mx73I?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Josh Smith on display

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/7qrrxlQ1Leg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/7qrrxlQ1Leg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Though if the Rockets really wanted to trade Lin they would be showing his defensive highlight videos as well.

13. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Lin should start because his is the best playmaker on the team and the best playmaker should be on the floor with Howard.

This talk gets old, the only thing that Beverley is better at is pressuring the ball. I'm glad he's good at it and I'm glad that he's on the team but he isn't as good as Lin, plain and simple.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

The weird thing about this post is that Howard's best success came with non-PG playmakers on the team. I mean, for christ sakes Orlando's finals run came with Rafer FREAKING Alston. Let that sink into you on just how not necessary a playmaking point is with Dwight. He went to the finals on the great performances of one Rafer Alston. The most non-playmaking PG on the Rockets in the past 2 decades.

Heck, go back to Hakeem's days, when Kenny Smith the old, 3-pt shooting PG started while the aggressive, playmaking Cassell came off the bench. Seriously, top centers needs 3-pt shooting PGs are a perfect fit.

15. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Championships don't come overnight, guys. Don't expect to have all the pieces right away. If all we need is a power forward...that will come in time, you can count on it. For myself though, I would rather look to the players that are Rockets now in the hope they develop, rather than looking at what current Rocket we can stab in the back in the hopes of some better player on some other team. Here's rooting then for Jones, and DMo, see if these guys can live up to their potential and give us something special this year. Jeremy too--he has all the tools to be a super special player.

16. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Fans on CF know a lot less about Beverley than they think. How much did they follow Bev in his college days, or in Euro league, to be able to make this outstanding claims about how great he'd be as our starting pg? They watch Bev run around at 50 mph in a few Rockets games and they're ready to give him MVP honors!

Bev is a nice player but his NBA resume is really quite small. He was only with the Rox for half a season last year and played limited minutes off the bench. Most of his stats were against other teams' second units. People don't remember, either, his slumps. Bev went four games in a row where he failed to score a single point. As for his defense...yes, Bev is active as a defender, yet he does unintelligent things like overplays on double teams. There was a reason why Reggie Jackson scored 20-plus points on Bev two games in a row in the playoffs...

That said, Bev is a great guy to have off the bench. And in terms of starting, one point I would concede is that having Bev would allow Harden to be more the true point in the starting lineup; then you can have Lin off the bench with the second unit where he can run the show w/out Harden.

Rox fans shouldn't complain. It's nice to have options.

17. ILoveWhiteGirls

Yes, options is always a plus.

18. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

That's just it. He wouldn't get more minutes, just better minutes. Lin would get 30 m/g, just Bev would be on the court with Harden, and never on w/o him.

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

With Teague signing an offer sheet with Milwaukee for more than Lin money, do you think they would do this deal: Asik, Lin and TJones for Horford?

20. kcd

kcd Member

I think Lin is a good defender, not a lock down defender, he doesn't have the size or length to be. I believe Gary Payton, who Lin worked with said something like that. He's not terrible like some people think.