1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Insider: Rockets are considering offering a "monster deal" to James Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Progs

Progs Member

Harden

I like James Harden but I don't think he is worth the MAX I see him more as a number 2 option in a champioship team... Even if the Rockets sign Harden they still would be a superstar away from being NBA championship contenders...

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Disagree on the former, agree on the latter.

Harden's disappearance in the Finals had as much to do with the refs jumping on him. He was taken out of his game pretty quickly. I believe without apologizing that King James' first ring was already sized before that series even started.

That said, Harden doesn't come across as Alpha Dog, so acquiring him means, as many have pointed out, that a second All Star (Harden ould become an All Star if given more of the spotlight, whether he wants it or not) must be coaxed into playing here. This is a little more possible with the 4 NY and LA teams having no more cap space for such players; but damned if I know who it'd be (Josh Smith being a good but not a great catch).

3. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Harden just isn't a superstar. Lamb's ceiling is higher than Harden's insofar as he's taller and longer (more defensive upside, will be able to score against a wider variety of defenses [we all saw how Harden performed against the athletic and aggressive Heat]).

His value will shrink if the NBA is serious about these new penalties for flopping, and the only skill he holds that Lamb will have trouble developing is Harden's ability to pass in the pick and roll situation.

Harden is like Eric Gordon (an undersized scorer and decent passer), and really only deserves the kind of contract he got, but will receive more money by virtue of being healthier and more exposure.

I see Harden getting max money, but going back to AZ or some other mediocre team where he's the difference between the 8-9 seed and the 5-6 seed.

RudyTBag likes this.
  4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Here we go again.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

honestly, i get that some of you guys like Lamb etc and don't like Harden... but calling Harden "a decent passer" is like saying that Yao has decent height.

6. Prince

Prince Member

James Harden who?

7. Prince

Prince Member

Daryl "Mediocre" Morey.

8. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Harden won't do any good as number 1 option + he's not a player you build your franchise around but I'm sure next offseason we'll go after Paul, Josh Smith, Harden and others. If we get a big guy first like Smith, putting Harden next to him would be nice but no way he's worth the max.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

0 chance of getting Paul. If we can get Jsmoove and Harden that would be great but one of them would not be good enough.

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Jsmoove
    Asik

is a pretty good team. Not a contender but maybe a second round team.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I believe he's restricted this year, UFA next. They can match, trade whatever AFTER they make their run towards a hoped-for June Parade. It would take absolutely unforseen events to change OKC's thinking before they score their last bucket.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If they match, they would need his consent to trade him for a year. That is a risky move if they can't afford him for a year.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

They don't have to go through the actual legal procedure the way the Hornets did. The Pacers "matched" Hibbert too, but in legal sense they didn't and can trade him.
    Either way, it's all moot because they can afford him.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I count 61 million among 7 players. He will put them in the luxury tax area or they will have to amnesty Perkins. Perkins is a lot of salary to eat considering that they would still need to get a backup center and those guys aren't cheap.

14. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

I'm not sold on Harden. Like has been said, his efficiency will go down if the league is serious about cutting down flopping. He is also not a leader and disappeared in the playoffs. Don't think he is a guy the Rockets should build around.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

yes, i mean with a Perkins amnesty.

Frankly, we are now talking about how much money Clay Bennett has saved up and how much of it is he willing to spend to keep a star, which we just don't know.
    We are talking 17.5 mil amnesty fee here, spread out over two years. And considering someone is sure to pick him up off waivers, it's more like 13.5 and under. Would Bennett be willing to spend that? I don't know, but it's not that big a price.
    Besides, they can always add a pick or two and look for takers, if that price is too high.

16. azsrx

azsrx New Member

Asu James Harden! Not worth max but if Gordon is he will.

RudyTBag likes this.
  17. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

I thought i would never say this but i think okc feels that they found something in Perry Jones!! He's looked very good, could very well replace harden for a heck of alot cheaper

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Where did the article said that Houston was interested?

A super star is a super star. With such much cap space, I wouldn't see why Rockets were not interested. Is it overpaid? Yes. But it is just like the Asik deal and that's how you going to get the players to come here for the first place.

19. shoops

shoops Member

Harden isn't really first option material...

RudyTBag likes this.
  20. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Come on now.... Harden is no superstar. He is a very good player and probable multiple all star, maybe one or two all nba caliber player but thats it. Basically a Joe Johnson. His best upside is maybe Manu(unlikely in my opinion) but even peak Manu was no 1st option(due to not being able to play the minutes mostly).

RudyTBag likes this.