1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Insider]Next Moves for Rockets and Heat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manny Ramirez, Jul 11, 2014.

1. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

This sounds just like the people who celebrated when they thought we had Bosh in the bag signed.

Let's wait for the next 48 hours to play out and then determine how good or bad Morey finished this free agency period.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I've been a Rocket fan ever since the team drafted (H)Akeem Olajuwon #1 overall when he came out a year early from Phi Slamma Jamma. I have endured a lot over the years:

1) Watching the Rockets be proclaimed a dynasty with Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson ("The Twin Towers") only to see it dissolve because of Sampson's knee issues. The best they could ever do was a finals appearance in The Dream's 2nd season where they were beaten soundly by Larry Legend and Co.

2) Seeing Olajuwon become the man and the team desperately try to find the right mix around him (Buck Johnson, Sleepy Floyd, etc. - anyone?) These teams were mediocre for the most part but occasionally win 50 games or so only to get booted out of the playoffs fairly quickly. This was when The Dream was still maturing as a superstar and as a human.

3) Olajuwon has finally blossomed into a dominant force - arguably the greatest center in the NBA but we can't get any luck, most notably the '93 playoffs where we lost to the @$!% Sonics in the 2nd round.

4) '94 and '95 - not much needs to be said other than we won 2 championships (the first one with ONE bona fide superstar and the second with TWO bona fide superstars)

5) Barkley comes in and we make one last push but injuries and age prevent the Rockets from winning another championship

6) Quitten - nothing else needs to be said about the disaster/cancer

7) Rebuilding around Steve Francis and later Yao - wilderness years to be a Rockets fan, for sure.

8) McGrady comes in - some hope is born because of T-Mac and Yao along with JVG but once again, it is never realized.

9) Realization that trying to win a championship around 2 injury-plagued players in Yao and McGrady is never going to happen. Thus another rebuilding job which consists of many players that were good but not great like Kevin Martin, Kyle Lowry, Chase Budinger, etc. This was frustrating because these teams were competitive (finishing with winning records) and not even making the playoffs!

10) The present with James Harden and Dwight Howard - too early to comment but we have got to do better than making the playoffs and exiting every year in the first round.

I know times have changed and to win in today's NBA, you can't just rely on one superstar (like we did in '94) or sometimes even on TWO superstars (like we did in '95). But we have got to concentrate on getting the right mix of role players to surround James and Dwight with just like we did in the '90s. Who is going to step up on this team and be our Robert Horry, our Mario Elie, our Kenny Smith, our Chucky Brown, etc.?

We get the right mix of role players like our mid '90s Rockets teams have and we can still win a title with just 2 superstars. Eff this talk about having to have 3 superstars.

1 person likes this.
  3. Fantasma Negro

Did you see what happened when we played the warriors last season? Jermaine O'Neal worked Dwight Howard. It was embarrassing

4. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Its all good bro....... we have options... we will be ok. Patience is gonna be a key. We aint have Asik most of the season and lin was trash but we still managed to do good. Now its gonna be a youth movement with 2 superstars. I dont wanna match parsons, so we can have cap flexibility going forward... Durant, Love, Rando, Westbrook all coming up on FA.

The team gonna have a year together under their belt, and they are gonna get better individually as well. So that can go a long way for the team, especially with jones and daniels. We will see tho, we have taken a little step back, but lets see if they have improved. I know Morey gonna be working around the clock to make this team better.... I have a feeling they might match parsons.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Yep Vegas was wrong last year, and they'll double down on stupid for next year.

Never said we lose Parsons. We have his bird rights. We developed him.

Asik & Lin gone is absolutely a plus. You could throw darts blindfolded and get better results with that kind of money.

Without Bosh we can't beat the Trailblazers? Without Lin we beat the Trailblazers. We've done that. With an intact coaching trio we beat the Trailblazers, we'll fill that gap. Are you the only person in the world afraid of Chris Kaman?

6. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

That's what you're gonna go with? The refs? If you say so. People need to be honest with themselves. This team is going nowhere fast. We're not even as good as we were last year as is and in a couple of day we will have no room to get better if Paraons garbage contract is matched. This is just pathetic. Stay chearing for the GM if you want too. He want even fire the dumb ass coach. By the way, that's why we lost to Portland. The coach, not the refs. The coach who follows the GM's orders.

7. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

It is ok.. I have a strong feeling that Kevin Durant will be a Rocket soon like next year or two because Harden and Durant have been a great friend.

8. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Investigate trades for any of the following:

PG
    Eric Bledsoe/Dragic
    Rajon Rondo

PF
    Kevin Love
    Paul Millsap/Al Horford
    Ersan Ilyasova (would ask for Zaza too)
    Ryan Anderson

Sign some combination of Luol Deng, Shawn Marion, Mo Williams, Aaron Brooks, Jermaine Oneal, emeka Okafor depending on timing and result of above trade agreements.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I'm with you Manny.

10. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I say we die

11. Fantasma Negro

And when property motivated Beasley is a straight up beast. I know you remember his Minnesota days. McHale traded for him then maybe he can get through to him again. And Blatche would be coming off the bench to provide defensive pressure. All should be affordable

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

hmm, i think a lot of people almost saw this coming, i think we were at 60% seeing worse out of this affair

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Beasley was a great college player. However, as a pro PF/SF tweener, he has never achieved the same level of success. The Heat awarded him a starting role, but he couldn't sustain the effort. If McHale actually can motivate him, he would be rotated from SF to PF depending on what player against whom he is pitted. Defense and offense considered as a whole, I'd rather take a risk with Blatche.

Turner's big defect, as far as Houston is concerned, is his poor 3-point shooting.

14. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Trade Asik+DMo+pick for Millsap
    use the cap space gained in Lin's trade to sign Kris Humphries

Howard, Humphries
    Millsap, Jones, Capela
    Parsons, Garcia, Covington
    Harden, Daniels,
    Beverley, Johnson, Canaan

15. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I'm sure Morey knew the odds also, but that was the right move to make. What move would you have made?

16. seeingred

seeingred Member

so who did you want us to sign that's been taken off the table ? who did we miss out on that would've made us a contender ? Jodie Meeks, C.J. Miles ? Gordon Hayward ? Chris Kaman ? The only free agent I would've wanted was Lowry and he stayed in Toronto for the 5th year (like Bosh).

http://www.nba.com/freeagents/2014/

you tell me who we missed out on by trying to become a dynasty.

1 person likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets have options and they will be a better team next year than last. Even the timing of the Asik trade shows that Morey has planned for every possibility. Parsons will most likely be matched which means we lost Asik and Lin. In regards to Asik, he missed most the season last year and Lin just needed to go, that had ran it's course. The Rockets have 15-16 million to add in the next 24 hours... Pierce, Ryan Anderson, Rondo, Stephenson, Deng and others all will be in play and would help the Rockets.

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

sooo.... seein as Chandler IS a max player, does that mean we had our 3 superstars - last year!?

19. JazzLakerHater

Of course!! Parsons probably think he's the best small forward in the league. Just like he showed in the playoffs lol!

20. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

So do we technically still have Asik or not?