1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Insider] Jalen Green's Feel

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ShiniKashi, Oct 29, 2022.

1. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

3. Jalen Green's feel
    The Houston Rockets burst with frenetic energy. That exuberance can explode in all directions at once -- producing dizzying end-to-end sequences that morph from ragged to spectacular and back again.

When their young stars go one-on-one, they might roast some veteran with such ease, you wonder how youth ever loses. One audacious possession later, you'll remember why: In its bravado and eagerness to claim its place, youth sometimes forgets the limits of individual brilliance. The glimpses of Houston's young stars combining their talents -- amplifying each other -- offer tantalizing sustenance.

Green can do pretty much whatever he wants on offense. At times, he and Kevin Porter Jr. default to ultra-difficult isolation play. (It's also on Stephen Silas to install more of a system.)

But stuff like this holds promise:

Alperen Sengun unlocks more high-post offense, and I wish the Rockets would start Sengun now -- and see how Sengun, Green, and Porter mesh in something like an equal opportunity offense. The defense would wilt, though Porter has made strides on and off the ball. It's going to be bad regardless.

Green's instincts as a cutter are why I'm holding out hope for his passing and defense. If he sees the floor well enough to do one, he can hone the other two. He tries on defense, and has the length and speed to be at least average. He is prone to miscommunication and smacking into picks, but that's to be expected at this point.

Green telegraphs some passes and misses others -- again, expected.

The Rockets are sneakily well-positioned. Green is a star in the making. Sengun and Jabari Smith Jr. are potential plus starters. I have been a Porter skeptic, but he's busting into this conversation. Jae'Sean Tate is the no-frills role guy every good team needs. Tari Eason should become (at worst) a better version of that; he's a good multi-positional defender now. There are several other intriguing prospects here. Even Usman Garuba has shown flashes as a switchable stopper.

The Rockets also have cap space; free agency appeal; extra first-rounders galore; and a chance at another high pick in a draft you may have heard something about.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...ilthy-ja-morant-banishment-stupidest-nba-rule

topfive, ArtV, Rudyc281 and 5 others like this.
  2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with much of what this article says, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating to look at our young Rockets bumble away possessions or run around like headless chickens. Yes, we have youth and athleticism--but half the time it seems like we don't take advantage of that at all and let the offense bog down into something nigh-unwatchable.

Is it KPJ's fault? Is it Silas' fault? JGreen? Sengun? Ours?? Maybe everyone's? **** if I know.

I'd like wins just as much as anyone, but I (and probably many of us on Clutchfans) can tolerate fun, competitive losses too. We haven't had any of those in the last week, even with the weaker level of competition.

I have no doubt that will change. Maybe I'll look stupid for thinking that things will be better a week, a month-- or sh*t, even half a season from now. But I really don't think it'll get much worse, and maybe that's something promising in and of itself.

snowconeman22, Rudyc281 and Reeko like this.
  3. WestendMassive

I just saw this and I feel like I woke up in bizarro-land. When was the last thing Zach Lowe said something positive about the Rockets??

Best line of the excerpt for me: (It's also on Stephen Silas to install more of a system.)

Nice Guy has had 2 years to put some sort of framework in place and you can't even describe what the Rockets have on the floor now as organised chaos. The myth of Silas being an offensive genius needs to die. His "scheme" might have worked with Luka running the show but it's clear that whatever structure he's speaking doesn't work with this team. Adapt to suit your roster, or get in the bin. And stop scowling like Training Day Denzel on the sidelines, you look like an idiot.

clutchdabear, Rudyc281 and ashleyem like this.
  4. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m concerned by Jalen’s seemingly total lack of passing IQ. What separates the best players in the league from the flashes in the pans is the ability to make the right pass. So far, Jalen is much closer to an off the bench volume scorer like Lou Williams, Jamal Crawford or even Eric Gordon. His passing is pretty abominable, and while the lack of a system is partially the culprit, it’s also his lack of feel and court sense. I worry that without improving on this, he’s going to be easily neutralized by smart defense.

on the other hand, I do think the lack of a system is really affecting Jabari. All the iso plays often leave him looking confused as to where he should be on the floor. And given that neither of our two main iso guys are particularly good passers, he ends up finding himself standing alone on the perimeter with no way to contribute offensively. There’s almost no point in him (or any of the other guys) cutting because other than Sengun, nobody is going to reward them.

More than anything, I think Silas is trying to implement a system like he did for Luka. The problem is that we don’t have anyone remotely close to Luka and even if we did, it’s an offense that requires the Luka equivalent to play out of his minds every game. As we saw with Harden, this kind of offense almost always gets neutralized by playoff style defense, so that’s just not a realistic way to win a championship.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree, IMO Luka's best chance would be Antetokounmpo and that is not looking likely.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Jalen green little to lack of iq in passing?

I don't think we are watching the same dude. I think he's one of the better passer on the team. Like sure he does a dumb pass here or there but man has better court vision than kpj. I could b using court vision and passing iq interchangeably. Man see the open man and can make the pass to him.

I would rather green give it a go at pg, but like folks have mentioned his handles isn't at the level that most folks are comfortable with yet.

#6 DatRocketFan, Oct 30, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    PeterKingX likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Man for once it would be amazing for a Houston sports writer to actually ask Silas "You've been here for 2 years. Can you describe your offensive system by now?"

Like does anyone have the balls to ask him this? Silas needs to know there is SOME pressure on him to look somewhat competent.

bmelo likes this.