1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN: Insider] Hollinger Player Profiles: Houston Rockets: 2012-13 roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by burnshroom, Sep 27, 2012.

1. sidestep

sidestep Member

As for Asik getting into foul trouble, I've seen this point repeated in a lot of places in discussing his transition from the bench to the starting lineup, and it's a natural thing to bring up, but this seems to be something very much within Asik's control. Because his defensive fundamentals are all there. He defends by using his positioning and moving his feet, instead of by lazily reaching in, or biting on pump fakes or jumping at everything to try to block it. Last year, Roy Hibbert averaged 4 fouls per 40 min, while Asik averaged 5 fouls per 40, but the difference was that Asik knew he had fouls to give because he was only on court 15 min per game. In that way, I don't think Asik's fouling rate from last year is a reliable indicator for projecting his performance this year.
    He's a beast the way he moves and smothers people just by having his arms up looming over them. He also moves amazingly well for a big man when defending out on the perimeter.

2. amaru

amaru Member

The 7'6" center we used to have was a damn good shooter.......or have your forgotten?

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We don't have a backup center. And the one center we have has never been an NBA starter. So one or three of those nine PFs will have to chip in. It will come down to who can guard the opposing center. I'd say Patterson is probably the best post defender among those guys at this point.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wait. we have nine PFs now? Maybe we should play five at one time with White as the PF (point forward). Think about all the mismatches we'd have.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

He didn't have the range that Donuts "appears" to have. You all are misunderstanding. If we didn't have Asik, I would let Donuts take a shot at center, but since the Rockets already spent big money to cover that spot, I would rather have Donuts on the court. He is quick, mobile, and can "face up" and shoot.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Isn't it scary? We can have an entire rotation that consists of PFs only. :grin:

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You forget that JVG spend a lot of effort to get Yao in the low block rather than playing the stupid Detlef Shrempf role or high-post passing/shooting Brad Miller role. Note: Hakeem, Ewing and Robinson were just as good mid-range shooters as Yao.

Donatas has longer range.

But you see...if Donatas moves out like he does to shoot, faces up and runs classic PF low-post moves, plus runs the fast break like he loves to do, and he is playing with Patterson who then must play the low block, then the other team will put their center on Patterson and their PF on Donatas.

And Donuts and PPat won't switch in defensive transition, so PPat will actually be the center and clutchfans.net will call him the PF since he is shorter than Donuts and we can't deal with the fact we have an undersized center on the court, despite the fact he has Sasquatch arms and an immovable tree trunk of a body.

Patterson is our PF/Center. Deal with it. Let Motiejunas grow as a PF like he has been doing for the past two years.

#47 heypartner, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  8. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Lmao! Dude said that sheet! Props for the laugh

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I stopped reading after his ridiculous projection for Lin. It's very likely Lin's gonna be playing close to 40 minutes a game every night, so he could very well be a 20 ppg, 8apg, 3.5rpg point guard. That would make him a top 3-5 PG statwise. I think kid's got a lot of upside, and think he will average in the higher teens points wise, but 20 and 8? smh

10. trowa

trowa Member

i'm too excited to see T Jones!

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

He never said Lin is going to be playing 40 minutes a game. You just got to do a little bit of math to get down to about 36 minutes which is typical starters minutes.

12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I did calculate Lin's numbers at 36 minutes according to Hollinger's projections and it came out to 20 and 8. I just think that's seriously way too optimistic. I'll be doing backflips if our PG was putting up those numbers, but that's just not realistic IMO

13. amaru

amaru Member

Who said Donuts has to play back to the basket when given minutes at the 5?

14. nepopop

nepopop Member

no need to shake your head. thats probably because of his stats from last year.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/linje01.html

per 36: 19.6/8.3/4.1

========

i was hoping to see what he can say about Machado. =/

15. Arthurprescott2

Lin's advanced stats look amazing: nearly 20 PER, .140 WS/48, .55 TS%, and .478 eFG% for a 2nd year player. ON 28.1 USG%! Ridiculously efficient (if you ignore turnovers). Crazy.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont think it's unrealistic for Lin to get 8 assists....he's going to have several options and versatile players to pass to. That being said, the 20 pts may be hard to get.

17. sidestep

sidestep Member

Dunno if a 5 or a 4 is going to be running PnR with Lin this year, but Lin's assist rate will be helped this year by having stronger perimeter shooting teammates in KMart, Parsons, and hopefully Lamb.

Compare this to Landry Fields 3P% last year: an atrocious .256%, playing 28.7 min per game.
    And overall, Knicks were 10th worst in the league in 3 pt percentage, even with Novak's blistering .472 3P%, at 18.9 min per game.

I cannot count the number of times that Fields was open on the 3 pt line after receiving a pass from Lin but didn't shoot it. Almost like a set script, he would jab step then attempt to slash, since he had zero confidence in his jump shot, which was completely broken last year. So many potential assists were wasted this way.

Houston's assisted perimeter shooting this year will certainly be better than that.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is a hard year to predict for the Rockets. Lin is going to get a lot of opportunity to score and dish assists. Motiejunas is a power forward for now. Hopefully, he either improves his shot or he devotes more time in post.

19. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

just now...

20. mirus

mirus Member

Thanks Izak :D I was wondering why D Mo article is missing