1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN: Insider] Hollinger Player Profiles: Houston Rockets: 2012-13 roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by burnshroom, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

How can one get the Premium Super Insider access? :)

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It seems like he's making his picks based solely on statistical projections. Maybe he projects Jones to be the best of the group at the 4 spot who knows.

Knowing how poor Patterson's stats were last year, I can see why someone like Hollinger would be down on him.

That being said, following the Rockets like we do, we know that come training camp and preseason, the job is Patterson's to lose. However, he might very well lose his spot in the starting lineup pretty quick if the hard work in practice, leadership qualities, etc. dont translate to quality play on the court, and someone like Terrence Jones is clearly out performing him. Its certainly not difficult to imagine that happening pretty early in the season.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That comes with Hollinger Cheerleader Profiles, he introduces a whole new meaning to their PER's. Playa Efficiency Rating.

4. heypartner

Please rewrite that response to include the lack of a Motiejunas mention, and how that will also hamper Jones' ability to be a starter in November.

5. BayAreaBaller

BayAreaBaller Member

Well, I think he was fair with everyone. His job is to project and to analyze using the tools he has and I think he does a pretty good job. Let's face it, if the Rockets get last season's versions of Martin, Patterson, Morris, and Douglas, and if the rookies play like rookies, then it's going to be tough to win games. Morey's betting that more things work out than will not. And if they don't, the silver lining is a likely high selection in the 2013 draft.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Oh yeah, forgot him... geez. actually Royce White will steal Motiejunas' spot in April, after Motiejunas stole his spot for Jones in February, who stole his Patterson in December. There you go. Thats how its going to happen folks.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Too much logjam, either nobody develops properly, or everyone tries their best to fight for that spot and we find an all star

8. BayAreaBaller

BayAreaBaller Member

I think most observers view Motiejunas as playing center most likely. Not sure how the Rockets' brass see it, but it seems the general consensus is that D-Mo will get minutes as Asik's back-up.

9. heypartner

yeah, the post of mine that you responded to I was responding to a post about the lack of a Motie profile mention by Hollinger. That's what I meant by "our likely future starting PF"

10. Arthurprescott2

Yea, Hollinger was pretty fair. Still, it was a bit of a brutal reminder of how terrible many of the players on the roster were last year. I knew it coming into the offseason, but I seem to have engaged in selective memory-wiping (or been brainwashed by the homers in GARM).

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

his profiles overall this year are very good, imo.

Most of them seemed spot on, even the Pacers' ones - and as a Pacers fan, i generally sigh at national media Pacers articles, they are rarely good.

But Hollinger did a great job with these this summer.

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Is it just me, or were those stat projections just last year's Per 40 Minute stats. Did he make stat projections for this season?

13. heypartner

would have been nice to hear Hollinger's take on that. oh well, he missed it.

Calling Motie a backup C is misleading. He never really played center, last year. If he plays with another PF, that will be a dual PF lineup. Motie will play his normal way, which isn't the Center position. In fact, when he plays with Patterson, I'm quite certain PPat will be guarding the opposing center.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

God it will be lie the Scola Patpat nightmare all over again...

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

indeed

16. BayAreaBaller

BayAreaBaller Member

Yeah, I agree. I think he can play the 4 at 7'0" a la Pau Gasol. It's probably his best position. But with all the PF's the Rockets have, it's hard not to see him being used at the 5 spot for the time being.

17. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Does Morey have something against good free throw shooters? Must be some statistical anomaly that good free throw shooters make crappy basketball players.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

I see Donuts as the starting PF. Why waste his shooting ability at center?

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

well, centers can shoot. Anyway, positions to me are all about defense. Donatas will never be a good rim protector and he isn't strong enough yet to defend good low post guys, so he wouldn't make sense at 5, defensively.
    But he could potentially be a disruptive defender at 4, given time. He has the hands, IQ, quickness, size for it. It would seem wrong to force him into the low post, defensively.

20. heypartner

"indeed"

Donatas position will be defined by who he is guarding, not whether he is the tallest Rocket player on the court.

Forget the fact he's 7'. There are many, many PFs who play many minutes as the tallest player on their team on court at any given time. And there are many teams who use PFs as "backup centers." Many teams go dual PF.

The problem with saying Donatas should learn a new position because we have a longjam at PF and since he's the tallest he has to switch, is it stunts is growth in his natural position (PF). Why would we do that to our best PF prospect from the draft in years?

imo: Donatas should be our last PF to have to guard centers and change his position.

#40 heypartner, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012