1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Insider: Hollinger on Deadline aftermath: Rockets mention

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by spaceage808, Feb 22, 2010.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you post his Diem from today?

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Did Houston really do that good? McGrady jerseys have been flying off the shelves in NY. Fans have been surprised by his offensive performance. The trade will look really good, if T-Mac keeps improving.

3. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Not surprising since the last NY jersey to fly off the shelves was....ummm...Ewing? You think that fan base is a little starved for some star power? They have been having to kid themselves into thinking a Nate Robinson jersey is a respectable thing.

....doesn't really matter how well Tmac does. We weren't going to keep Tmac after this year anyway and didn't have enough money from his expiring to make some noise in the FA market anyway so to get the Knicks to give us several potential lottery picks to rent Tmac for a couple of months is a steal - especially in how we ended up with Martin. NY fans may be excited like a starving man who is fed a cracker, but you don't see Kings fans pissed that they missed out on Tmac...and you won't find too many fans here or in Orlando or Toronto who are sad to see him go either so there must be something to that.

5. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I dont think this'll happen. This article might indicate that Houston hustled NY and Sac, but every time Landry drops in 20 + points, Sac will be thanking Houston. And if NY does land Labron and Bosh (or any other 2 stars, or 1.5 stars even), they'll be thanking Morey. And on the flip side, if we become contenders next year with Martin + a sign and trade player that we get, we could be thanking Sac and NY. While Houston got most in this deal, the other 2 teams accomplished what they set out to as well in this deal.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I find it silly he thinks ray Allen for Kevin Martin is a better deal. The 34 year old Ray Allen?

Yes he gets them some cap room (Which they get any ways...) but he would not be in their future plans.

ALSO how does he figure they could have got the same from NYK that we did? Did he forget midway into his article that the Knicks did not want to give all that up for Tmac...what makes him think they would give it up Allen and K.Thomas? Rockets FORCED the Knicks hand.
    So basically, Kings are trading Kevin Martin for J.Hill+Jeffries+2 first round picks. I think he's reaching a bit with that Boston thing.

I think if Kmart was really on the market, he'd get offers from building teams...Not Boston would give the best offer. I know ESPN would LOVE for Boston to get Kmart, but it would be hard for a contender to part ways with a key player. It would likely be a team like Minny who could give the Kings a young player in return...but it was The Rockets who have been stacking up on young talent.

7. Rocketrock

Rocketrock Member

I find Hollinger didn't mention one fact: the Rocket-King deal agreed upon Wednesday night. The other teams has plenty of time to bid on the Tmac-Landry package.

The problem is that Kings are looking for a young inside scorer as Morey claimed. Can Ray Allen & first round pick provide that? No. Can big-Z and Hickson offer that? No. which team is willing to take on salaries yet have a young inside scorer to give! The key is that Morey is genius to find this out and sell it!

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't know if he's right about the Kings in general, or if other teams think they could have beaten the Rockets offer-- and he's probably right on both given that he's plugged in to this kind of stuff as a reporter.

However, I don't don't get his analysis comparing the Boston potential offer with the Rockets. Hollinger says the Kings messed up because they could have gotten the package of picks and Jordan Hill from the Knicks, instead of Landry.

The fact is, the Kings could have gotten those along with Landry anyway. They just need to have agreed to take on Jared Jeffries because the original deal would have the Kings end up with McGrady's expiring contract. My guess is they thought aboujt it and they chose not to take on the Jeffries salary.

The only difference between the Boston proposal and the Rockets one, assuming the thought the "Knicks goodies" would be worth the Jeffries contract, is that, instead of Carl Landry, they would have gotten a very late 1st rounder and dumped Nocioni's salary. The Knicks goodies part of the comparision is really a red herring. I guess they would also have the use of Ray Allen for the rest of the season, but what's that really worth to such a young team? Ray ain't coming back and, at this age, probably isn't worth much as a S&T bait.

Hell, they could have probably gotten the Knicks goodies without either a Houston or a Boston deal-- just send Kenny T to NY for Jeffries + Goodies.

Of course, one might argue that the only reason why they wouldn't take the Jeffries contract is that they didn't dump the Noc salary to Boston. But that's not a matter of lazyness, just a matter of being cheap. It's not like they are gonna be paying the tax anyway, and with the Houston deal, they are already dumping Martin's $11-12 mil a year.

In any case, what happened is a matter of the Kings making choice to not spend money, not a matter of being lazy.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yeah.. that's not it at all.. [​IMG]

10. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

me likes .. great article .. I guess Hollinger hasn't fully taken in the greatness of Morey! :grin:

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

12. blackistan

blackistan Member

I don't care if we hustled the kings we still had to give up LANDRY and tmac who if given a chance couldve really helped us this season but I know its only one game in we will see who wins in the long run

13. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

The Rockets did well, but I don't quite understand how landing Landry (who's not only a great player, but also a great value) for Martin is at all a bad deal.

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

And you think Donnie Walsh feels ripped off and won't trade with us again?

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Broken link for me

16. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

articles like these make it tough for morey to work his magic.

no need to read anything here folks... keep moving.

17. A00man

A00man Member

Good insightful interview. I'm looking forward to this offseason to see if we can pull off a miracle and get Bosh, or even get Amare. Getting either makes us contenders if Yao stays healthy... I guess we will see.

18. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I think Sac's main interest was Landry (rather than a Thomas for Hill/picks deal with NY), so they were happy to do what was essentially a Martin-for-Landry deal with us. Since the salaries didn't match, Houston had to choose who else to send. Dorsey + Cook weren't enough, so TMac had to be involved.

At this point, Sac could have just taken the deal with us and then made the exact same trade we did with NY to get Hill and the picks.

I am guessing there were two reasons this didn't happen:

1) Sac probably didn't want to take on Jeffries salary. This is not because they were saving cap space, but because they truly did not want to spend more money next year (their market has not been doing well).

2) The other, and probably more likely explanation, is that Morey put a condition on the Sac deal, i.e. if NY caved then Houston would only go through as a 3-way. Morey has mentioned that he has a good relationship with the Kings, and he probably got them to agree to this as a secret handshake. For Sac, it's not unreasonable since they still get their man Landry, dump their malcontent Martin, and buy some good will from Morey. Sure, they could have played tough with us, but it looks like they weren't willing to brave the heat like Morey did with NY.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

didn't notice this was already posted when i created the thread, but its a pretty good listen.... he of course loves what we did with the trade and expects us to look even better next year... talked about how martin along with hill, jeffries and armstrong can fit for us..also talked about our playoffs odds the rest of the way

20. scottie brooks

God Bird, as our beloved fans and china might say...