1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN INSIDER] FORD: West Forecast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sloth, Aug 30, 2005.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

They wouldn't have beaten the Kings that year if Webber hadn't blown out his knee. And Michael Finley was still a respectable defender back then, LaFrentz could block an occaisional shot, plus they usually had a pretty decent defensive player starting at the 3, whether it was Najera, A.Griffin, or Raja Bell. They actually ranked 9th in the league that year in Defensive Effeciency ([points allowed/opponents possessions] x 100).

You at least need to be a somewhat respectable defensive squad, and I don't think the Kings will be that... From what I've read on KingsFans, most Sacto fans believe that they'll finish with the fourth or fifth best record in the West. Which sounds about right to me.

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Rahim hasn't exactly played for perennial powers every year. He played for Vancouver and Atlanta, not exactly playoff mainstays. Meanwhile, Portland was gutting their team and barely played a lot of key players like Rahim, Anderson, Stoudamire and the like, and even tried to dump Ratliff while Randolph was injured. The "Rahim teams don't make the playoffs" is just garbage started by one person. Sacramento should make the playoffs, as a 7th or 8th seed, but they will be very dangerous. They'll be this season's version of last year's Denver.

3. Asian Sensation

Chad Ford can eat a big fat #%*@.

4. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

ESPN Insider huh?? Must have been spending too much time inside.. :p

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

My 2005-06 forecast: Chad Ford will change his mind about Tracy McGrady three more times this year, yet will still be touted as an expert by ESPN.

6. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

These things are created with formats, and he had to put a name in there. You can quibble all you want with whether or not losing Spoon was a major or minor loss, but it's Chad's job to inform his readers as to the roster changes, and he's not going to just not mention Clarence just because he isn't a starter.

7. micah1j

micah1j Member

According to divisional winners getting the 1, 2 & 3 ceeds you would need to swap the Nuggets to #2 and bump the Suns & Rockets down one slot.

1. Spurs
    2. Kings
    3. Nuggets
    4. Suns
    5. Rockets (no homecourt :( )
    6. Warriors
    7. Mavs
    8. Sonics

8. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Thanks Chad

9. sun12

sun12 Member

Mark my words, Lakers will get into the playoff!
    Kwame Brown will average a double-double. Andrew Bynum will hold the middle for a while then break down because he does not have the endurance yet. Kobe will be clutch.

11. Lakers

Major additions: Kwame Brown, Aaron McKie
    Major subtractions: Caron Butler, Chucky Atkins, Brian Grant

The skinny: The Lakers are, without a doubt, the hardest team in the league to place right now. Can Phil Jackson fix everything that went wrong in L.A.? Will Kobe Bryant respond to his coaching and start sharing the ball? Will Brown, playing on a two-year deal, finally live up to his potential? Who's going to play point guard? Will high school rookie Andrew Bynum be ready to contribute in the middle? If all of these issues work themselves out, the Lakers will be back in the hunt for the playoffs. If they don't, the Lakers' soap opera might rival what will go on in New York this season.

10. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I would absolutely love to watch Yao take that Bynum kid apart. They could throw him in there once Mihm gets into his inevitable foul trouble, but it ain't gonna be pretty.

11. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I am not worried about the Lakers this season at all.

They added Kwame Brown, we added Stromile Swift, enough said.

They have Kobe, but we also have Tmac.

And finally, they have Mihm and Bynum in the middle, we have Yao, enough said.

Plus we have Deke, James and Howard on the bench.

If we happen to meet them in the playoff, I'd say it's going to be a 4-1 series with us advance to the next round.

#51 RocketForever, Aug 30, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  12. dream2franchise

I hate the seeding system, because for all we know the rockets could have the second best record in the west and all they'd get is fourth seed? (assuming as we all are that SA tops out). I've been b****in about this all off season, anyways my top 8 playoff seedings are: (Ofcourse where Finley and Spree sign can change alot of things)

1. San Antonio
    2. Phoenix
    3. Denver
    4. Houston (my pick for the bling, and although i've said this every season out of loyalty-i actually believe it this time).
    5. Dallas
    6. Sacramento
    7. Minnesota
    8. LA Lakers

But the legue is so unpredictable i just don't know what to do, you read so many different opinions and you try to take them all in but i guess you just gotta go with your gut. Let's hope for an injury free, productive season.

13. MONON

MONON Member

Actually, I think the Rockets will finish with the 2nd best record in the West & end up in the 4th playoff spot.

Chad may have to inform his readers of roster changes, but we also lost Scott Padgett. Now that is a much more major loss than Spoon.

14. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

You know what the worst thing is? If the two teams with the best record are in the same division, they will always meet in the second round if they win in round one. The NBA should really look to reseed for the second round. Or else don't seed by division winners, just go strictly by record.

15. MONON

MONON Member

Why did they go to the 3 divisions instead of 2 anyway??? :mad:

16. dream2franchise

I think it all had to do with the relocation of New Orleans (formerly charlotte) to the west, and the addition of the Bobcats, as for why they couldn't just add them to the original divisions, i have absolutely no idea, sorry.

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Petrie has not learned that the formula for winning in the NBA is to have 5 guys committed at the defensive end. To be a #2 seeded team you have to play some defense and this team won't play defense. Ford must be from Sacramento because only a homer would make the Kings the 2 seed.

These seedings will be affected by where Finley winds up, if he winds up in Phoenix then I would cede them the 2 spot. I like the Rox in the 4 spot and above especially if Yao has a breakout year and I think the dark horse of the west are the Warriors, I like the way they finished the season last year.

18. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

They switched to 3 division So the best basketball town aka NY knicks can get into the playoffs. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. batizy

batizy Member

Kings will maybe No. 2, but their win% rate will not.
    Kings will be better than Suns, and nobody in NW including Nuggets can win more than Kings, so Kings will get No.2

Without summer trade, Kings will not make playoff next season, but they did
    terrific job in this summer. It is reasonable they will win Pacific.

I doubt Spurs will lock No.1 , Rockets has chance to challenge them.

1. Spurs 56-60
    2. Kings 50-54
    3. Sonics 48-52
    4. Rockets 55-59
    5. Nuggets 50-54
    6. Mavs 48-52
    7. Suns 46-50
    8. Warriors 42-46
    9. Clippers 42-46
    10.Lakers 40-44
    11.Blazers 34-40
    12.Wolves 34-40
    13.Jazz 30-38
    14.Hornets 18-22

20. batizy

batizy Member

Rockets will win best/second best in the Western.