1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN INSIDER] FORD: West Forecast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sloth, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Stephen1616

Stephen1616 Contributing Member

asking myself the same question. Look at every other teams major subtractions they are actually major Weaterspoon barely played 5 mins last season. LOL Ford is a fool

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Something tells me that's the first time those two phrases have ever been used back-to-back.

3. droxford

droxford Member

I notice that he didn't list Shaun Bradley's retirement as a subtraction for Dallas. No major loss there, I guess - just saves the team some humiliation.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

By putting the Kings as the second seed he lost all credibility. That is absurd. The Kings will be lucky if they make the playoffs.

5. Toast

Toast Member

Actually, I think the Kings at 2 is not out of the realm of possibility. I think they've done a helluva job this summer. And I have a feeling they'll be tough to beat in the regular season (barring any injury or other major setback).

Suns at 3 is ridiculous though. Everyone's afraid to rank them as low as they really should be. Which is about 6 or 7.

I like the fact that he ranked the Clippers ahead of the Lakers though :D

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

You don't see some major chemistry issues on this team? Wells, talented, but a major head case. Rahim has bounced around the league for years, there must be a reason. Peja has been streaky and frequently injured of late. Bibby is flat out good and Miller is solid, but I have serious questions about how this mix of players is going to blend. They look good on paper, but it remains to be seen how they play. No way they are going to challenge the Spurs. No way. Not even close. The Rockets, Suns, and Mavs should dominate this team. The window of opportunity for the Kings has closed.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Tough to judge how these things will fall out. Roster moves await. Additions and subtractions.

So here's the list again: 1. Spurs 2. Kings 3. Suns 4. Rockets 5. Nuggets 6. Warriors 7. Mavs 8. Sonics 9. Timberwolves 10. Clippers 11. Lakers 12. Jazz 13. Grizzlies 14. Blazers 15. Hornets

Going by talent rather than playoff seeding, I'd list the teams:

1. Spurs (a lock)
    2. Kings (depending on chemistry)
    3. Rockets
    4. Mavericks (they finished strong last year, and have depth)
    5. Suns (gotta wait and see; vastly changed)
    6. Nuggets (if they get a good shooting guard, maybe even higher)
    7. Jazz (if healthy, should compete)
    8. Warriors (benefit of the doubt)
    9. Timberwolves (depending on future roster moves; need to make changes)
    10. Clippers (Cassell's attitude will bury them; he and Cat will come to fisticuffs over the basketball)
    11. Lakers (Kobe + five small forwards + two shooting guards + two PF's)
    12. Sonics (won't re-sign enough free agents)
    13. Grizzlies (will implode)
    14. Blazers (need to make a move or two, if possible)
    15. Hornets (an easy call)

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Kings at #2?
    what an idiot.

The Kings might not even make the playoffs.

Watch out for the Clippers, Rockets West!

9. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I can't believe people (with the exception of Sloth if he indeed paid for insider as opposed to going to another team's board and getting it off there) pay to see that crap.

Kings ahead of the Rockets? Ford has sunk to a new low.

#29 JBIIRockets, Aug 30, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think some of you guys are seriously underrating the Kings. They've got a ton of talent on their front five, and they've regained some of the lost depthy they used to have in 02/03. They may not have the inside presence to take them far in the playoffs, but they'll be a killer regular season team. Think about it, when your worst starting player is Bonzi Wells (only because of attitude problems), you've got a pretty good team.

I'm pretty worried about our season opener against them. I want to start off strong and keep going, but they'll make it hard to win the first one.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When your best starting defensive player is Bonzi Wells, you're going to have a pretty bad defense.

12. thiagu88

thiagu88 Contributing Member

it would make sense that we were 4, if the seeds 1-3 had to be divison leaders in chad fors so called "seedings" projection. But to be 4th when he doesnt follow that seems absurd. the kings and suns are too high, and although i dont like the mavericks they deserve a higher seed than 7

13. Billyp

Billyp Contributing Member

A lot of the Kings chemistry issues will come from the lack of a true leader. It's true that they have a great starting five, some good backups, and a good coach but I don't see a player that is going to step up and be the leader of this team. They also don't have a true interior presence (tough rebounder, shotblocker) in their starting five. Peja will suffer from this too because he needs a big man to draw attention of him and then zip him a good pass. I wouldn't be surprised to see Peja being traded soon because of his modest contract and the fact that he will probably want some big money in 2006.

Anyways, I'd rank the West like this:

1) Spurs - duh

2) Rockets - I feel weird doing this because I don't feel like they are really at this stage but I don't see any West team better than them right now

3) Suns - Lost some ground but will still be a good team to contend with. Marion playing at SF will give him a boost while Amare might not have such a great year since he will be playing agaisnt faster, more athletic PFs.

4) Kings - Issues already described but they still have a great starting five

5) Nuggets - Biggest issue was a missing shooter, enter Lenard back into the picture. Spreewell might be a good pickup and Carmelo has been working out like a demon to prepare for this year.

6) Mavs - Avery Johnson has this team ready to implode, they lost Finley, and Doughboy Christie has nothing left to contribute. Have fun Cuban

7) Warriors - Great end of season, Baron Davis seems extremely motivated for next season, and good draft picks.

8) Lakers - Will have a decent year. I still see a trade in the future to try to improve, especially when they figure out they aren't getting Yao, Amare, or Dirk in the offseason.

9) T'Wolves - Didn't get any significant pieces when they let Cassell and Spree go.

10) Clippers
    11) Sonics
    12) Jazz
    13) Grizzlies
    14) Blazers
    15) Hornets

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Maybe he's judging by pounds.

15. MrButtocks

When your best starting defensive player, by far, is Joe Johnson you're going to have a pretty bad defense, too. But that didn't exactly stop Phoenix from being a killer regular season team. In fact, they went to the WCF without him there for the Dallas series. Sactown ain't winning a championship, but they'll make a decent playoff push.

16. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I agree with Ford on the Kings. I also agree that chemistry issues could sink them because SAR & Bonzi don't play "Kings" basketball (as someone earlier said). Adelman is a good offensive coach and can probably make it work.

The Suns should not be #3. People who put them this high assume they will ride the coattails of last year. Despite still having Amare, Nash & Marion, they are very different from last year. The magic is gone from that team and they will finish no higher than 5th.

Mavs: As much as I hate the Mavs, they won't finish #7 unless the players get tired of Avery and they slump midway or late in the season. Otherwise, the Mavs are a lock for a top 4 W-L record in the WC.

Warriors: I just have a hunch Montgomery does not belong in the NBA. Their roster is good enough to make the playoffs but I don't think this guy has what it takes to lead them there. Just MHO.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

phoenix had a different offensive philosophy than sacramento though. without having the passing ability of vlade,webber and christie anymore that princeton style offense will have to change. peja isnt a passer he is the beneficiary of the passes. miller and bibby are the only two good passers on that team now. bonzi has always been a big ? when it comes to being a team player. his passing ability is average at best and that is the same with SAR. the kings rely heavily on the passing abilities of their entire starting five not just 2 of the five. they'll be a 50+ team for sure but i see first round exit.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Exactly, I skipped to where he wrote about the Rockets....and stopped reading when I read Spoon as a major loss. :rolleyes:

19. Sloth

Sloth Contributing Member

Actually, I just signed up for it and I'm in the free trial portion. So, my credit card hasn't been billed yet. I don't plan on keeping it. I just wanted to see if Ford had anything useful to say...guess not

20. MrButtocks

Let me rephrase that. When your best starting defensive player is Dirk Nowitski, you have a poor defense. But the mavs of 02/03 got to the WCF, anyways. Offense can take you far, but not to the finals.