1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Insider - 2007-08 outlook: Who's improved thanks to offseason moves?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slick Rick, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I knew something good is going to happen when they fire Carroll Dawson.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Damn skippy. :)

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

Rockets have added pieces but they won't know if they've improved or not until the first game of regular season.

4. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

no, until the first game of the 2nd round :D .

if we're still playing then, i expect us to go ALL THE WAY.

5. Omer

Omer Member

I was thinking the same thing to myself the other day.

I thought, hmm, it seems like my Rockets are the only team in the NBA this offseason who have made some major upgrade moves (other than Portland and Seattle, but that was draft). I wasn't what was going down with other teams but just felt like it was the Rockets mainly steaming ahead and felt like it was too good to be true.

I guess it is mostly true, up to this point at least.

:D

6. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

I think the craziest thing about this offseason has been the Rockets catupult from a 7 man rotation to the deepest team in the Association(if everything goes as it should). After truly anylizing our weaknesses from last year and what we have added this offseason I believe we will contend for the best record in the league if Mac and Ming have their heads screwed on right.

7. scola

scola Member

Thanks for posting the article.

8. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFGYu82uwJA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFGYu82uwJA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    This should be the team's new thing in the locker room. Everyone's gonna be walking around asking if they're gellin'.

"yo Tracy, you gellin'?"
    "gellin' while my back is swellin'. Yo Bonzz you gellin'?"
    "gellin' while I eat this pie of melon'. Hey yo V-gina you gellin'?"
    "I cry like a loser"
    "So not gellin'.."

9. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

how is Portland not number 1?

10. abundance

abundance Member

Morey is working on trading JLIII.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4967808.html

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Because it's for the upcoming season only. Portland gained Oden, but lost their best scorer. At least for next year, they're not looking at net positive.

12. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Hollinger on Rockets was well said! :D

MOREY, YOU ARE THE MAN!

GO ROCKETS!

13. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

That just made my day!

14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

If we traded James for Alston, please tell me why we are keeping Alston now that we have James back and a chance to get Steve? I'm perplexed.

15. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I'm not sure if we could get Steve. Besides, we can always trade him later IF Steve comes. I'm not a fan of Steve coming back, but I'll take him over Alston any time of the year.

16. wingz0

wingz0 Member

^ What Yaozer said.

'Sides, if you look at it from a warped perspective, it actually makes sense. Why'd we trade Mike James for Rafer? Cuz that was the only way to get him. Why would you then trade Rafer now when you got back the guy you traded only cuz that was the only way to get a "true PG" in Rafer, when you now have the best of both worlds?

Doesn't really make sense I know, but just sayin' :D This offseason has got me all excited already. Except that a couple of things still bug me.

Everyone talks about Adelman's offensive upgrade and how he hopes to play more like the Spurs on offense. But what about defense? The saying goes: Offense comes and goes, but defense is constant. Adelman's teams have never been known for their defense, and what everyone's overlooking is that San Antonio's the best because they play both ends. They shut you down on defense, and then they get out and run with Parker and Ginobili. If you slow them down, they still have Duncan in the post, Parker slicing everywhere, and more than capable 3 point shooters in Ginobili, Bowen, Horry and Brent Barry. Defense is important guys, I just don't know how much our defensive effort and overall efficiency will change under Adelman.

And about Scola, I'm pumped that we stole him from SA, but still, I have to see him in action night in and night out against NBA starters to be fully sold on him. And even then, he never was a lengthy defender nor does he clean up all the rebounds in sight, a la Chuck Hayes, to patch up Yao's weaknesses.

17. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

I agree with this guy. The addition of Scola was like the icing on the cake. The Rockets are much improved. We will only see how good they are come November.

18. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Yes, Hollinger hit the nail on the head. We upgraded all over and go better depth. This team is real good this year. I can't believe we did all this with the little cap room we had, but Morey got it done. I can't wait until November, but since football season is about to start, it shouldn't be too hard :cool: .

19. aznhowie20

aznhowie20 Member

i agree! thats what ive been thinkin all along since rockets hired adelman. I was thinking rockets should sign JVG as an assistant coach to coach def, and adelman coach offense.

but in reality, i was also thinking that the rockets had an entire season of defense, so now they get an entire season of offense, but them together, and we got both sides!!! :D

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what a great problem to have....how long has it been since we've been able to say that???