1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Howard destinations, Houston mentioned as facilitator

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Feb 13, 2012.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If we do this deal, we will not have a 2 guard under contract for next year. That means we would have to spend a considerable amount on that position, which limits us on any meaningful FA acquisition. The only SG available next year worth a damn is Gordon, and we would have to offer near max money to get him.

2. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Please stop that, just please. He's said where he wants to go. Does he want to go to New Orleans? Detroit? I haven't heard him say he wouldn't want to go there either. Please stop with that.

3. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

Initially yes, but it's not like we are a title contender with this squad anyways.

Yes Gasol's contract is pretty big, but Scola's is due 8, 9, 10, and 11 million for the next 4 years and they are the same age.

Kevin Martin will be in the last year of his contract next season, and I have a feeling that the Rockets would not be willing to give him a long contract.

Is it the best deal? In terms of talent no, but it's the best deal available. It's not like teams are dying to trade you their superstars for a package of Scola and Martin.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Random trade idea post is random trade idea.

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I wouldn't trade Scola and Martin for Pau. Period.

Martin isn't the best defender, and he's been in a slump, but he's damn efficient.

Scola doesn't have the height, but he's not a big softie like Pau.

The only piece I wouldn't mind is Matt Barnes. Underrated defender. Headcase. Mini Ron Artest, but plays hard.

I hope Morey isn't still getting a boner for Pau. He's not the answer. He could have been if Nene signed here.

Kevin McHale is one of the reasons we don't have NeNe on our squad.

6. jlwee

jlwee Member

I will rather Morey goes after Chris Kaman than helping Lakers to land a C, PF and PG to solve all their weakness now and in the future.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Again, huh? Scola and Martin take up more cap room than Gasol. You would have more room for the upcoming free agent splurge.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is in the running for worst trade proposals of all time.

ESPN has outdone the GARM's worst. Holy. Crap.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I can't stand Barnes, and I don't want to lose Parsons, who's on a Budinger type contract. The only good thing about Barnes is that he's an expiring deal, but only for $1.9 million. And yes, we wouldn't have a shooting guard under contract for next year. Lee has to be resigned, no sure thing. Dragic would be gone (he's a reasonable option at the 2). Our point position goes from one of the deepest in the league (IMO), to Lowry and that kid from the T-Wolves, who hasn't showed us jack. No, I don't like this at all. The only positive I see is that we could move the LA 1st to New Jersey, and get that Williams obligation (Morey's big blunder) out of the way. At least I assume we can. We might end up with a bit more cap room, but not much. I'd have to check that. Getting Gasol over Scola is an upgrade. No doubt about that, at least.

10. The Cat

I just don't think that's the way you look at building a team. The model is stars and worry about the rest later. Look at Miami, who found bargain basement role-player types in Mike Miller, Shane Battier, James Jones, etc. There's also the draft (Mario Chalmers). If the Rockets had a meaningful FA acquisition along with Gasol and Lowry, they'd be able to find a decent two-guard who would sign on the cheap for a shot at a ring.

11. The Cat

He's not the answer. He doesn't have to be. As long as he's an upgrade, which he clearly is. (Gasol is one of the best big men in the game, particularly on defense, where Scola is hopeless.)

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's said where he WOULD go, he hasn't ruled any team out entirely, except Orlando. He's been very specific about that.

13. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

It doesn't make a difference where he WOULD go.

It matters where he WOULD sign an extension, and Houston is not currently built to his liking.

I wouldn't take a gamble on Dwight without getting an extension. It is too heavy of a cost and I don't believe Dwight is the answer that can deliver a title RIGHT NOW. If he signs an extension, then he would be worth whatever we have to give up.

14. cod

cod Member

The weakest positions are still SF and C. With a Gasol deal the most money and depth will be at PF with Pau, Pat, and Donuts.

It also weakens depth at PG and SG.

15. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

I love the idea of Luis going to LA with Kobe. He deserves a chance to get a ring.

Dwight
    Luis
    Kobe

That's big.

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

still think we should get kaman over gasol

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If Gasol was Dwight, I would agree with you. But he's a marginal upgrade on what we have at the 4. If the deal would have happened at the beginning of the year, we would also have Nene, Lin, and possibly Hayes still on the team. Then we could have used our MLE in the offseason for a 2, and kept Lee using his bird rights.

Now, we essentially lost this year's MLE and next year's MLE, and Lee's Bird's right to make a Max contract splash. We lost about 15 million dollars in players because of Stern's sorry ass.

18. joesr

joesr Member

I would do it.

This gives us a fresh start with Lee and more bargaining chips to keep him here. "hey Lee, start with us instead of being a back up, again"

Doesnt really change Pats playtime...shucks :(

I would try to negotiate Parsons off that list.

matt barnes is a 2 mil expiring so why are you guys crying

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

He never said this. He has been careful not to rule any team out.

I think there is an argument for picking him up and banking on getting another superstar (like D-Will) to convince him to stay. I also think there is a lesser argument that he won't pass up millions of dollars to leave the team which trades for him.

20. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

If we would get douchebag Barnes...for-get-it.

Marc Gasol please