1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] How to fix the Rockets...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jared Novak, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Just saw this on ESPN, my apologies if it has already been posted.

LINK

Houston Rockets
    What went wrong: To put it simply, Tracy McGrady's back went out. They couldn't win without him, even with Yao Ming returning from toe surgery and producing monster numbers. You marry yourself to a superstar, and you put yourself one superstar injury away from being barely better than the Knicks. The scary part is that McGrady's back injury might only get worse.

What needs to be fixed: If Jeff Van Gundy is such a great coach, what exactly has he done since 1999 except earn a lot of money and alienate everyone around him except his assistant coaches? A new GM is coming in, and Daryl Morey will spend a year apprenticing under Carroll Dawson before assuming control. At some point, he's going to have to bring in some youth.

How they can fix it: They're tied into McGrady long-term the same way they're tied into Yao, so all they can do is cross their fingers and hope McGrady's back injury doesn't worsen. They'll be in the draft lottery, and they'll likely use their mid-level exception to replace a couple of their older players.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Once again ESPN proves why they are superior to all other sports sites out there. It's analysis like this that makes me thank my lucky stars for the internet. Great work! :rolleyes:

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Let me guess: this fine piece of analysis can only be found on ESPN Insider?

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

In other news

ESPN INSIDER EXCLUSIVE WRITES:

"To Fix a burnt out light Bulb... change it with a new one."

5. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

i actually thought it was a good analysis.

6. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

THANKS! IT took me awhile to figure out how to appropriately describe the detail naunces of fixing the light bulb problem without getting too technical. :)

7. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

In what possible way? All they said is T-Mac was hurt, JVG sucks, and we have a lottery pick. Ooohhhhhh the wisdom of ESPN.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The crux of this article essentially reads: Hope McGrady stays healthy and it might be a good idea to use the MLE and draft to replace some of our older players.

Do you really consider that quality and thorough analysis? Please tell me you're joking. I would rather purchase a lemon flavored paper doormat than subscribe to ESPN Insider.

9. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

well the writer obviously understands something very simple that many on this board don't: "They're tied into McGrady long-term"

10. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

did u know read in between the lines?

O god, are you guys are blind.

This is fascinating ****. I don't even know where to began deciphering this huge amount of wisdom.

11. looper

looper Member

This paragraph gives NO new information whatsoever. I think I should apply for a job at ESPN, man...

12. xlr817

xlr817 Member

The "genius" at ESPN insider should just analyze that besides Yao & T-Mac everyone else on the Roxs just plain SUCKS! ;)

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

and people pay for this??

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

You guys don't understand. The real 'genius' of ESPN is that they've got people who pay them for this insight. If you can sell a turd for a dollar, I call you smart. If you can get people to subscribe to a monthly flow of fecal matter, I call you a genius.

15. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

IMHO this post makes a lot of sense.

16. Rocket Rowdie

Rocket Rowdie Member

The ESPN reg. version of this went:

T-Mac's back = hurt

JVG = bad coach

Rockets losing season = lottery pick

17. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

I thought you cant use a MLE and LLE two years in a row?

18. compucomp

compucomp Member

No, you forget, this is ESPN we're talking about. According to them Yao sucks too. Before he started going crazy they might have put together a Sportcenter Top 10 Posterizations on Yao like they did with Bradley. Now of course they can't do that, but they still refuse to give him props. If you read that analysis carefully you'll see that the person writing it thinks Yao is nothing and T-Mac is everything.

I must say a few people at ESPN (Bucher being an example) have sung Yao's praises, but for the most part ESPN is the most anti-Yao network I've seen.

19. Fenel

Fenel Member

BSPN is the biggest yao's hater in Chinese opinion

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

You can use the mid-level every year. You were right about the LLE though.