1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Houston Could Get Melo AND Lebron

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Jun 25, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Melo and Lebron meaning we need two darn bonafide guards

no Lin and Beverley

2. torocan

torocan Member

Wow, I wish someone else would have thought of that. Oh wait...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=255445&page=22

I wonder if Broussard is going to give me credit for that? Nah, probably not...

It's always been feasible. And it's only going to happen if Lebron is absolutely determined to play for Houston WITH Melo (IE, NY and Miami don't have a choice or they both walk).

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Unless Lebron thinks Melo is a better SuperFriend.

But ok. Take it with a grain of salt. ESPN thinking ahead as always

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

No chance of this happening. I'd obviously trade Harden if it meant getting Lebron but this report is garbage.

5. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

Funny thing is that Harden + Wade + Bosh might still make the finals because the East is THAT bad.

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Is DocRocket a prophet?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>2 things: If <a href="https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard">@Chris_Broussard</a> says it, believe the EXACT oppo &amp; #2: nobody's moving Beard 2make room 4Melo &amp; LBJ! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBADraft?src=hash">#NBADraft</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RedNation?src=hash">#RedNation</a></p>&mdash; Doc Rocket (@Thedocrocket) <a href="https://twitter.com/Thedocrocket/statuses/481567048363831296">June 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This was posted way before Broussard threw this out.

7. Nook

Nook Member

This idea is nothing new. It gets a little credibility because the national media picked up on it. The idea of moving Harden/Howard to lure James and the buddy of his choice has been discussed a number of times.

The issue is that it is a real long shot, I just cannot see James going to a third organization in 4 years.

To the guy saying Morey doesn't have the balls to do it... Where have you been the last 5 years? If anything Morey has too big a set. He would be a professional poker player if not for basketball.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

Wow..

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

10. torocan

torocan Member

To be fair, Harden also has a mixed reputation in the NBA among fans, analysts and other players.

1. Elite scorer
    2. Ball dominant
    3. Doesn't even attempt to play defense

While Melo isn't exactly a defensive stopper, he does exert more effort than Harden on defense. And it's a LOT easier to find players to fit with Lebron/Melo than Harden/Melo or even Harden/Lebron.

Lebron/Melo can play with both a conventional PG and a 3&D PG. And it's also easier to find multiple SG's that 3&D than it is to find strong 3's and 4's.

While Melo isn't exactly going to stop LMA, his scoring makes the position a wash. There also aren't very many high scoring 3's and 4's in the NBA versus the many high scoring guards.

You can then load up with a stronger defensive 2 which makes your perimeter defense (along with Lebron and Beverley) MUCH stronger and still have Howard at the rim and Lebron's shot blocking to erase mistakes.

Guards are the deepest positions in the NBA. 3's and 4's, not so much which would give the Rockets a significant advantage against a TON of teams and also limits the number of teams that can field a player that can really exploit the Melo match up.

And no, no "Stars" would hold trading Harden for LBJ against the Rockets. EVERY Team in the NBA would trade Harden for LBJ without the slightest thought and every player and fan knows it.

11. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I see a loser trying to get attached to a winning team in Anthony. I know that Phil Jackson sees the same thing as well. That's why he asked him to take a pay cut to stay in New York. He doesn't care about Anthony staying and I don't blame him. I think that we need to stay away and keep our guy, Harden.

12. Fundamental

Fundamental Rookie

Houston should not hesitate to move Harden for Melo/Lebron...I guarantee that Harden will continue to dissapoint

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sorry, torocan, but you would have to stand in line behind me.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9026518&postcount=171

My posts about this scenario were not made because I wanted to trade Harden. I don't... unless it resulted in getting the best player in the league. If Morey had assurances that if we obtained Melo, James would come to Houston to play with Howard and his buddy, and that it would be OK with Lebron if it cost Houston James Harden, would we do that? I would, because you always grab the chance to get the best guy in the NBA. You trade picks, you trade your best player, you trade some of your young talent, even Parsons, to end up with Lebron James, Dwight Howard, Melo, Beverley, and change. I think Morey would do it, and I certainly would.

#73 Deckard, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. I'll preface by saying I don't want Melo in any case. But, I doubly don't want Melo and Lebron on the same team, because they play pretty much the same role on the floor. I don't want two franchise players that can both play small forward or power forward, and then have no guards to speak of.

2. I don't like Lebron, but I do know he's the best player in the league. Of course I would trade Harden for him. But, I wouldn't trade Harden for Melo. If we make a play for Lebron, fine, but let the Big 3 be Lebron, Harden, and Howard and let Melo go some place else.

15. torocan

torocan Member

16. Nook

Nook Member

Harden is All NBA 1st Team at 24 years old and his game is still noticeably improving. Anthony is an elite player but is 30 years old with a lot of mileage. All of the question marks surrounding Harden have surrounded Anthony for a decade.

Defensively, Anthony and Harden lack effort on the perimeter. Melo's saving grace is he is adequate in the post if he is willing to play there.

17. Swag

Swag Member

harden aint going no where

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Actually, later I did take a shot at a trade scenario. Here it is...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9037096&postcount=39

Now whether it makes sense, or would work is something else entirely. ;-)-

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So whose going to play PG in this scenario?

Sorry but I'd rather keep Harden and Dwight and add either one. The team is more balanced.

Elite guard.
    Elite forward.
    Elite center.

Simple.

20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

So anyone want to post the article?