1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Hollinger suggest Dwight Howard-Rockets Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Dec 3, 2011.

1. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Oh, I agree that Lee is definitely not as good as Lowry was, but there definitely are some parallels in regard to backing up an elite, no-defense scorer, and I certainly wouldn't mind if Morey signed him to a Jared Dudley/Thabo Sefolosha contract, even if he's a backup, considering KevMart's frail build and the fact he isn't a 38mpg player anyway.

In regards to T-Will, I don't know how you can count him out based on the flashes of talent he showed in his rookie year. I think it was obvious that he didn't get a fair shake last year, and while lots of that was on him, a lot of it was on Adelman as well. I think you have to give him a lot of rope, because if he repairs his trade value he could easily be one of the key pieces in a dollar for four quarters trade. It's not like this is a championship-caliber team; what chemistry is he going to ruin?

2. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

This is why Hollinger is just a writer at BSPN and not an NBA GM. This is also why Morey is one of the best NBA GM's in the league, he won't stoop to a level this low to just make a deal. If he can't get what he wants, then he walks away. Morey is way too smart to make a deal like this, and that is one of the many reasons I respect him, and appreciate the fact that he is our GM. I hope he's here forever....long live DM!

Pugs

P.S. I think that if he did leave, it would be then that some would finally realize how lucky we were to have him, kind of like the Matt Schaub situation....you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

1 person likes this.
  3. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

HELL 2 THE NO.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

For a 1 year rental? I thought we were over this with Melo last year. Cp3's not worth paying the max AND gutting your entire roster for. If he can't win with Ariza, Okafor and West in NO what makes you think he'll bring a dynasty in Houston with that lineup? More likely he'll bring us to the playoffs, we'll crash and burn in the first round, he leaves after the season to go to NY and we have to rebuild...again.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Any trade that nets us a max player, max room for another, and a solid player at the 2-3-4 is a no brainer yes.

6. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Man WTF! Why would you even put that in the title? You should have put the Rockets trading away two solid players (one is a great backup and good defender for Kmart, and the other has potential to be a star) for crap in return just so the other team can get Dwight Howard.

7. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Im so sick and tired of all this bull****! I keep hearing the Rockets are always trying to trade away good decent young players that still has lots of room to grow just for a center who is at best average and would never make this team any better but worst just because most of the people on this board are so desperate for a big center.

I don't give a damn if Chuck Hayes is undersized. He usually outplays most starting center in the NBA every single time and shuts them down completely. Just because he doesn't do those highlight reel blocks, he takes charge which people tend to overlook. The average of Hayes drawing charges per game is way more than the leading shot blocker in the NBA. Players are hesitant to drive to the lane because of big shot blockers but trust me, they are also hesitant to drive to the whole when Hayes is on the floor also because they know he will get into the right position at the right time to draw a charge and puts them in foul trouble. Which is better? A shot blocker that gives you maybe a block or sometimes 2 blocks a game then Chuck Hayes drawing charges around 3-4 per game and puts the other player in foul trouble while a shot blocker just blocks it out of bounds.

Im not saying a shot blocker isn't important, it is. But I prefer a center that can actually play basketball, long, athletic, has a good basketball IQ, smart with the ball, always in control, can protect the rim and play as hard as Hayes. But unfortunately, there aren't that many. I mean there are few good centers in the league but I bet you anything, Most of the time Chuck Hayes usually outplays them night in and night out.

Hayes is undersized but he makes it up with his basketball high IQ (he is incredibly smart with the ball, always in control instead of forcing the issue, know exactly where to be at on the court, works hard and play extremely hard, he is incredibly strong and tough and most of the centers and PF in the NBA cannot back him down on the low post, he is one of the best passing big man in the NBA today, he has great hands and is incredibly quick and not only are they quick, they are also incredibly strong; he is probably the top 5 best post defender in the NBA today and he is able to guard perimeter players like SG or SF long enough so his man can get back into defense without the guards blowing by him easily to score, he is willing to sacrifice his body to draw charges because he is so good at it, and on top of that, he added an offensive game this year. I don't know if you guys notice it but his FT percentage has improved dramatically and instead of trying to dunk wildly over everyone like some other centers try to do all the time (McGee, Andre Blatche, etc) and ends up getting called for an offensive foul, He's very crafty and also learned to maneuver around the rim for a simple easy layup. He plays the Pick & Roll very well because of his good passing ability. He is incredibly tough and he's not afraid to battle against any big man in the league. How many centers this year got a triple double? I remember Blatche from Wizards was trying so hard just to get a triple double that he completely embarrassed himself. Andre Blatche even screamed at his teammate because his teammate got the rebound instead of letting him get it so he can get a triple double. Those are the type of players that they care more about putting up good individual stats other than trying to win a game. To some of them, winning is not as important as their individual stats. Hayes doesn't care about his stats at all, he goes out there and do everything in his will-power to win, not trying to stack up good numbers.

Chuck Hayes is a competitor and his goal night in and night out is to win. Just because he's undersize and doesn't do spectacular dunks or highlight reel blocks, many of the people on this board would be excited to trade him to for a player that is long, athletic with low to almost nothing basketball IQ, doesn't work hard, cares more about individual stats instead of trying to win the ball game even if it sacrifice their own stats, and lazy on defense. But because they are big, athletic, and shows up on ESPN highlight reels pretty often, you guys automatically assume they are a big upgrade over Hayes... You don't appreciate Chuck Hayes now but once he's gone to another team and the Rockets get one of those centers that tries to get on highlight reels and go for individual stats instead of trying to win the ball game, I can almost guarantee you, Hayes will make you wish you never let him go because he WILL shut down any centers or PF we throw at him.

2 people like this.
  8. Rivers

Rivers Member

Remember what Donatas said? :D Maby Dwight will try to catch him more often the he thinks. Lol.

9. valorita

valorita Member

If you are a true supporter of Mr Hayes, then you should either A) learn more B) denounce that you are his fan
    because even your valid points become discredited by the other deficiencies in your arguement.

constructive criticism, not a personal attack.

10. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

well it's not like we haven't help other nba teams before with trades that help benefit other teams in the past (nets, grizzlies).

11. lild713

lild713 Member

HELL NO..i HOPE NOT.

12. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

BTW, Im not attacking anyone. I am a fan of Hayes and any other players wearing the Rockets jersey that goes out on the floor and play their hearts out.

Hayes is undersized and that is his biggest disadvantage. But I am not going to replace him with a 7 footer who cannot bring the same production as him. Chuck Hayes has outplayed many starting center in this league. His low post defensive skills is very important for a winning team.

Yes I know the Rockets also do need a 7 footer that can protect the paint. But I am not going to replace Hayes just for a big man that can play. Many on this board want to go after guys like Omer Asik because he's big. But I will promise you, they would not bring the same type of intensity and productivity like Hayes.

The only type of big man I would put over Hayes are centers with size, skills, high IQ, decent athleticism, decent low post defender, and overall, can actually play basketball. Im not a big fan of big man with crazy athleticism that fall for pump fakes because they want to block everything and tries to do too much as well as low basketball IQ. Look at Thabeet, he got the size but Hayes will always outplay him. Even if the Rockets traded for a center or draft a center with size, most of them will still be Hayes backup.

My point is, size does matter in the NBA but skills, talent and smarts are also important. The Lakers are good because outside of Kobe, they have two 7 footers that actually have great talent in Gasol and Bynum. Guys like Omer Asik, Aaron Gray, or Anthony Randolph all have size advantage over Hayes but can they shut down or slow down guys like Bynum, KG, Amare etc like Hayes can?

I like Nene because he can play good defense, got the size, good athleticism and can score but he's out of our price range because teams will offer big bucks for him and I know Morey will not offer a big contract to Nene because he is running on his last tank of gas. Nene only have about another 2 good years left in him so its no point because its not like the Rockets are in a win now mode. DeAndre Jordan is one of the players I would like to get because he is a very good shot blocker and he has the potential to be a good center in this league but the Clippers are not giving him up so easily.

Also Marc Gasol is another guy that I would replace Hayes with because he has the size, the strength, the talent is there, he has great footwork and skills, plays incredibly hard, high potential to be a all star caliber center one day. Marc Gasol can score in the low post, contest shots due to his size and very talented. He is also young so I wouldn't mind Morey paying a little big extra or give up a few good players for him.

There are other centers I would replace over Hayes are Al Jefferson (if he can stay healthy and at a good price), Noah, Marcin Gortat, Bogut, Javale McGee, Tyson Chandler (he's not young so its really no point, plus he much rather play for a contender like Mavs at this stage in his career)... Thats pretty much it and the truth is, most of those players are pretty much impossible to get. Big men in the league are rare so they don't come cheap.

With me, instead of desperately trying to find a 7 footer center that is below average to average, I hope Morey focus more on trying to get a superstar on this team first. Because in order to actually be a playoff team that can compete with the best of them and not endure another first round exit, we need a superstar first and then the Rockets can plug in players around him. Getting an average center at this point just puts us back in the same cycle. We be either good enough to be the best non playoff team in the league and get stuck with the 14th pick again or an 8th or maybe 7th spot and get knock out of the first round.

13. acjeitherocket

ha this is foolery

14. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Let me start by saying 1) I want Hayes no matter what happens, and 2) I'm a little rusty on these things, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing what everybody else sees in this thread.

I think everybody's posts are colored by the optimism about getting Nene, Marc Gasol, Tyson Chandler, plus those that are enamored with some of the lesser guys like Fesenko. What if we don't get any of those guys? Think back to last season, after the trading deadline. I think Kaman would have been a nice consolation prize for a team that is adamant about not over-paying.

And here, we're giving up pieces we can do without. I can't believe all the love for TWill. I can only guessing that this is because many here are even more rusty than I am. I think, at the end of last season, that TWill was likely to NEVER help the Rockets. Courtney Lee is a very, very nice piece, I'll admit, but we have to get some center help from center. I think that DM will find a gem in the draft sooner or later, but we have to do something now.

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Just to be factually correct. The leading shot blockers usually block around 3 shots per game . The league leader for charges taken is usually under 1 per game.

The NBA doesn't officially track charges per game but many of the statistical sites do but they take a while to compile the numbers. The '10 season is the latest season where I find published statistics on charges. Just to give you an example in the '09-'10 season Andrew Bugut lead the league in charges taken at 0.74 per game while Dwight Howard blocked 2.77 shots per game.

http://www.hoopdata.com/defrebstats.aspx?team=%&type=pg&posi=%&yr=2010&gp=40&mins=20

16. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Hollinger is an idiot

17. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

I'd take a dick up my ass before that stupid trade.

18. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

Just Dumb, Why Trade T-Will He's A Beast!

19. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

Umm I Wouldnt Go That Far, But I'll Sex Thabeet Before That Trade

20. jogo

jogo Member

I don't know why people hate this trade so much. Unless we trade Martin, Lee is not needed here. And Twill may never pan out. So people think that
    Lee + TWill > Kaman + 2012 2nd round, 201x 1st round pick?