1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Hollinger: Evaluating the James Harden Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 28, 2012.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

In his first three years, Kyle Lowry couldn't throw a tennis ball into the ocean from 3 point range. Why is everyone so convinced Lin can't improve his shot?

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Lin is also a hard worker like Lowry.

He will continue to improve.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree. Lowry took a huge step forward in shooting after he had a year of solid playing time. I don't see why Lin can't do the same.

None of our players have rounded out yet, which is pretty impressive considering we're the youngest team in the league sitting with a .500 record. In a year, Lin will match Parsons production with more assists. We are also almost guaranteed to have an all-star PF either through FA or from one of our current prospects.

Asik and Harden are franchise pieces, Lin and Parsons will be above average roll players, and our future PF will be an all star. I trust Morey to fill in the rest of the roster with great complimentary pieces.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good read as always from Hollinger. I guess we will need an entire season sample size to really see how Harden stacks in the Lebron/Kobe/Melo/Wade class, but the evidence so far shows that even at his young age, he's at least right behind them which in a league with a dwindling amount of upcoming superstars wings left, Rockets fans should be counting their blessings that they landed him at this point of his career.

If the Rockets look like they are going to be in the playoff race come January two names to look out for in trade will be Beno Udrih and Luke Ridnour or a lesser cap damaging guard who can play alongside Harden. Can't think of too many other backup PG's in the NBA that would fit much better with Harden.

That being said, you shouldn't just be giving up on Lin just yet. He's got the ability to make himself into an excellent spot up 3 point shooter with time. We could also see the coaches experiment with more lineups of Harden/Cook or Lin/Cook to add floor spacing in the short term. No doubt that the Rockets front office brainiacs already know what Hollinger noted here.

If the Harden/Lin/Parsons/Asik + whomever steps up at the 4 & bench stays together for 2 or 3 years, I think this is a team to be reconded with in the twilight of some of the aging dominant teams in the West. Houston definitely has alot to be excited about in this Rockets team built around Harden for the next 5 years at least.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Why is it "universally accepted" that Harden is better running the pick and roll than Lin is? Even so, Lin is the point guard; shouldn't he be running the plays more often. It's not like he's horrible at it. If anyone needs to become a spot-up shooter, doesn't it need to be the SHOOTING guard?

That's like the Lakers saying Nash needs to be a better spot up shooter as Kobe runs the pick and roll?

6. Allegro

Allegro Member

Ah, your LOH agenda is now totally clear.

Lin is not better than Aaron Brooks? Do you realize that Lin's first and second years as starter are almost exactly the same as the first and second years of Jason Kidd? (If you correct for usage rate.)

In effect, you are claiming that a potential second coming of Kidd is not as good as Brooks the Scrub. smh

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

And the award for worst post of the day goes to......

8. Karolik

Karolik Member

Strictly running the P&R wise, Harden is one of if not the best in the league.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Harden is more potent offensively than Lin.

That's like saying why we ran a McGrady/Yao pick and roll over, a Sura/Yao or Alston/Yao pick and roll.

10. Arthurprescott2

Past couple of weeks have shown Kobe is awesome running the PnR. Also Nash is an amazing shooter...

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I did not like Lin's play in NY, nor do I like him here. I thought he was a high usage low effeciency player with way too many turnovers who doesn't bring much to the team.

Comparing him to Jason Kidd is absurd.

I despise all of his idiot followers coming here and ruining our board. I am very interested in him not being on this team.

That aside, I have no agenda. If he does well, more power to him. I am a Rockets fan above all else. I stand by my assessment that we would be better served to have a deadeye shooter at PG who can play off the ball.

1 person likes this.
  12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sorry, Aaron Brooks is kind of crap.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

You all obviously missed my point. The team's got to get the PG involved in the game. Lin is not horrible at running the Pick and Roll but he's obviously horrible sitting at the 3 point line waiting for a pass. He's better when he's aggressive.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yes but if they're both healthy, Nash is running it at least half the time.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

So you want to relegate Harden to a spot up shooter instead?

16. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nice read, but i think he misses a significant component to Lin's play and value, ie his ability to drive the pace and run. the rockets run the break much better (from what i've seen) than in recent years past.

this aspect has also contributed to parson's improved play. and, i don't think you can discount the undeniable chemistry that is developing among the three wing & backcourt starters.

Lin's a keeper.

1 person likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Of course not. Neither of them should have to be relegated to being JUST a spot up shooter.

The team has two players that are good at running an offensive play. Use them both, not just the one that's better.

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

They do use them both, they just use Harden more because he is better at it.

19. zdrav

zdrav Member

Not to compare Lin and Harden to the Miami guys, but people also said that Wade and Lebron couldn't play together because they were too similar.

Players have to adapt to survive. Lin needs a reliable jump shot because he can't be driving and kicking all the time until he's 35. Harden also needs to, uh, improve something in his game too, lol.

20. Postcall

Postcall Member

Jesus has spoken:rolleyes: