1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Hollinger - Chat Excerpts on the Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TechieOne, Feb 19, 2009.

1. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Link: http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25127

Here are some comments on the trade in Hollinger's Chat

Keith, Beijing(China): Why did Rocket abandon Rafer Alston for several garbage players?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Kyle Lowry isn't chopped liver -- he's a dynamite defender. But he's better in a transition game and struggles in the halfcourt, so that part of the equation is a bit odd. However, now Houston gets $3 million in wiggle room with next year's tax line.

Dan (Chicago, IL): I think the Rockets won this trade: PG Kyle Lowry is better than Alston.

SportsNation John Hollinger: In a vacuum yes. I still want to see how Lowry fits in there offensively though .. but it wouldn't be the first time they've had success with one of the Grizzlies' role players.

Dan [via inert]: If Stein's reported deal is accurate, wouldn't Orlando have been better off just acquiring Lowry themselves? Also, the post says Cook to Houston, not Memphis.

SportsNation John Hollinger: You are correct on Cook, and actually it would have to be that way for the #s to work. So for Memphis it's basically Lowry for a first. Interesting. I think Orlando wanted Alston more than Lowry -- especially given his history with Stan VG.

Steve (Orlando): So How much does Alston add to the Magic? He's no Jameer Nelson but he seems like a terrific upgrade from Johnson after last night's fiasco

SportsNation John Hollinger: Yes, at both ends. I think he guarantees Orlando reaches the second round of the playoffs, and that added playoff dough is important for a team that just had to borrow $10 million from the league.

bob (north carolina): Is the Rockets trade a good trade?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Thinking about how long they've been trying to get rid of Rafer and how little success they've had interesting buyers ... and to get a young PG in return, even one who's kind of rough around the edges? That's a really solid trade.

Tian. (Toronto): Do you think that Tmac might be the reason why Rockets gave up Alston for another PG?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Definitely. If Houston still thought it could win the West it doesn't do this deal. Instead they look toward the future with a Brooks-Lowry platoon.

2. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Nice find.
    Interesting.. I didn't know Lowry was a good defender.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I don't know why he says we save $3 million in cap space next season. One site I looked at says Cook has a $3.5 million player option for next season. It also shows Lowry guaranteed for over $2 million next year.

Are those numbers inaccurate? If not, we are actually adding a couple hundred thousand for next season.

#3 BrooksBall, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  4. Olajuwon2Yao

Olajuwon2Yao Member

Hollinger is not the brightest analyst out there, there is much more smarter analysts then him. He really is just a person who jacks it to the numbers.

I really wouldn't believe a word he says, just go look at his scouting reports or ask Grizzlies fans.

5. yaofor3

yaofor3 Member

i really hope this is a good pick up.

6. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

So basically Morey is building the team for next season? Unless Morey can convince Artest to stay in Houston with a reasonable deal, We will still lose him for nothing this summer though.

7. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

I'm still confused with Cook. If we're getting Cook and he has an option for $3.5 MIL next year how does this help us?

We have to pay more next year than we would have with Rafer and with two sub-par players.

Morey needs to be on Radio 610 AM tomorrow to explain this trade!!!!

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

uh, yes it would.

9. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

What he says sounds about right, the Rockets have given up on the season, the Magic have become better, Lowry is here for the future and may be a nice player but the fact that Lowry is better in a 'vacuum' is a contradicting statement but he's on the money with almost everything.... :(

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What are you talking about? His scouting reports are great; I used to read his old Basketball Forecast books and they were excellent.

Hollinger is one of the few NBA analysts out there who's opinion I value. I respect anyone who makes a concerted effort to base their opinions on facts.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

so you don't think they have EVER had succes with Shane?? He didn't say win a ring, but just success...

12. Olajuwon2Yao

Olajuwon2Yao Member

I mean go look at other scouting reports or ask Grizzlies fans how they feel about Lowry, I couldn't edit it so I left it as it is.

Hollinger is not a good analyst at all, I doubt he even watches basketball games, It seems like all he does is look at the numbers and compare.

There is nothing special about stat-junkies.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

No the money is the same 3.5 + 2 vs 5.25 for alston

Is helps nothing for money.

14. God's Son

God's Son Member

this is dEFINITELY a morey trade: more value or bang for the buck

people forget rox have ben tryin to trade away alston for at least a couple years now. one thing that is undisputed is that he is one of the bottom 5 starting pgs in the league

long term the rox are better for this. alston was a subpar player who was a notorious chucker for someone whos such a crappy shooter. i will never forget his disasterous playoff showings and every year he would have these stretch of games where he played good and people buy into this fools gold thinking he turned a corner

i liked rafer cause he played hard but he was not the answer at point, that much was CLEAR beyond a shadow of doubt

i think people are much more dismayed that rox didnot make major move and they deflecting that anger on the rafer trade

when we sober up with time u will realize this was a good flexibility move and that we have enough guys to cover rafer through this season

some times getting enough flexibility is a better move than a non move

15. BrooksBall

It's similar but Cook + Lowry make a couple hundred thousand more.

The point is that it doesn't save money if those are accurate numbers.

16. Bandwagoner

cook makes 3.5 Lowry makes 2 and change.

Alston makes 5.25

Oh right nevermind. We are saying the same thing.

17. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Let's ...

[​IMG]

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

At the end he basically says McGrady's latest move put us in rebuild mode. Lowry is 10 years younger than Alston, isn't he? So there's more potential upside. But I do believe he's a downgrade at PG for the remainder of this season. This was not supposed to be a rebuild season MF!!!!!!!!!!

19. BrooksBall

3.5 + 2 = ?

20. Bandwagoner

did you see my previous post I had those exact numbers?

nevermind I'm reply happy today.

congrats to your boy.