1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN headline after Jeremy Lin loss: "Chink in the Armor"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Child_Plz, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

Or what about the "yeah, well my WIFE is XYZ so I can say what I want about them"

Or "my BEST FRIEND is XYZ..."

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree. And the word used has been a racist perjorative directed at those of Chinese descent for many decades. I know there are those who see this as "amusing," but I can only assume that they either have no real idea just how this term is viewed not only by those of Chinese descent, but those who abhor racism in all its forms, or else they are simply immature. It was a stupid mistake by an ESPN editor to let this go out, and those involved should be looking for new employment. I have no doubt that those involved knew what the term meant, yet still allowed its use. For that, they deserve to be sacked.

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It's wrong but pretty clever.

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

it was blatantly a dig at his ancestry. the guy who wrote it and the guy who approved it both need to get fired. espn has already offered a real apology (not one of those sorry to those who were offended type deals) so the issues dead for me as long as they set an example and fire those involved. its a company of a few thousand employees probably so you cant control everything. but you better have a good response when something like this happens

1 person likes this.
  5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I'm Pakistani and I talk **** about Pakistanis all the time.

But weirdly enough, it does bother me when somebody who is not Pakistani talks **** about Pakistanis.

I know this is random, it just had me thinking.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good. Can you tell us the BBall situation in Pakistan. Maybe we should get start developing Pakistan, Indian, Bangladeshian players.

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Except it's not really. It was used by them a few years back already, also controversial.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

I dont understand those who cliam they are of Chinese decent think this is funny. I think you are funny. Btw, I first heard John Barry said it during the half time show of the philly dallas game, so the headline is that clever.

9. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

IMO, the headline is actually wrong.

1. Lin is actually the reason why they are winning, how can he be a "chink in the armor"?
    2. If referring only to that game, is his 9 TOs the sole reason why they lost the game?

10. blink

blink Contributing Member

no but crying about it changes nothing. lin didnt sit around complaining about not getting a scholarship or having to ride the bench or play in the d-league. im sure he had to endure some racism himself but he went out, worked hard, brushed off the haters and made it happen. where are those haters/racists now? watching him on every channel, every headline.

so not only are some people too sensitive, but lack a sense of humor as well.

ps. what did that nerd in your hypothetical situation do? go cry about not getting the girl?

11. albuster

albuster Member

This. So much ignorance abounds.

12. albuster

albuster Member

And blacks are not racists?

13. Yonkers

'Crying' about it does change things. And who says that because you call out racist behavior means you give up on everything else you do?
    In your mind it's an either/or situation?

14. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I find it pretty tasteless. It's not even that witty if your looking to throw a racist remark because it's not very subtle at all.

Did no Asian Americans here grow up and face any racism at all? It's easier to laugh it off now than when your a lot younger and trying to figure yourself out. I'll admit it use to bother me quite a bit in elementary school to be singled out and not really no why.

Later it made me angry about it after finding out why.

15. Yonkers

That's a very good point about how we handle it now versus when we were young.
    My 8 year old son came home complaining about kids making fun of him on the bus just this past Friday. Nothing overt and I don't think even malicious at that age. But he had his pinky sticking up and some kid said that my son was giving the kid a 'Chinese middle finger'. And then a bunch of the other kids jumped in saying the same thing.
    It's not racism but it's obvious they're singling my son out for looking different. Of course kids will pick up on anything different about other kids and race is the easiest thing. But something as benign as this in the 3rd grade gets much more malicious in middle and high school.

16. JMG524

JMG524 Member

Yours is the typical reaction of most Asians when faced with blatant racism, just slide it under the rug and act like the bigger man. What you fail to realize is that if you keep letting this stuff slide, it will only get progressively worse. I'm also Asian and I used to think like you but I realized people will only go as far as you will allow them. If you keep tolerating this stuff, everyone will just think its okay to disrespect you. Yes you can take your licks but sometimes you also have to man up and take a stand against something you know is blatantly offensive and wrong.

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Everyone should email Jason Whitlock saying "n****r".

He should get fired but probably won't because he'll be the first one to cry "racism!!"

18. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

Nobody is crying about it. They're simply bringing awareness to the issue. When it comes to racism, America is so stuck on the black-white paradigm that other minorities are simply glossed over.

Educating the public is very different from whining about reality or crying yourself a river.

19. zzpot

zzpot Member

There is nothing wrong in what this guy has said.

Too many people are looking for a reason to play the race card.

The words "chink in armor" are real words used for 100's of years or more in the USA. News papers... Books throughout the world... and without pun or reference to the Chines or even Asians.

The word Chink to refer to a person of Asian origin or the word spook to refer to a black person is racist.. But is it still racist if those same people use the words??? Blacks us the N word all the time then SCREAM racistism if others do?..

Is it a "kink in the armor" or "chink in the armor"??? Is it now ok that 100's of years or more of saying... "A chink in the armor" could be a PUN or play on words?? And now that Pun is racist? Because a player in a sport is racist for playing in a Pro league in the USA??

Yes... you got that right... You have all now made Jeremy Lin a racist just for being born in the USA and playing basketball. If a play on words or a Pun is racist... the people that pun or play on words references.... are now racist too...

Jeremy Lin does not want to live in your.."oh so helpful" racist bull **** world.

He can read and understand the Pun and the words of a headline... Just as he could have seen the headline... Val-Lin-tines Day Massacre.

How does that make You feel... Yes you? Val-Lin-tines Day Massacre.

Go travel the world and ask for the Same rights you have here in the good old USA.

Check yourself before your wreck yourself.

Better yet... Just reach down and play with your turds in the toilet with your bare hands before you flush. You will get the same joy either way buy playing your race card.

http://www.grammarist.com/usage/chink-kink/

zzpot....... PS get your hand off it.

20. VanityHalfBlack

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.