1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN headline after Jeremy Lin loss: "Chink in the Armor"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Child_Plz, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can't think of a pun. But there are plenty of words that rhyme with it that might be tempting to make a clever headline.

2. blink

blink Contributing Member

im asian and this is a non-issue. it's actually funny in a toilet humor kind of way.

man the fck up and take your licks. dudes, regardless of race, should let stuff like this roll off their backs... cant waste time worrying about little girly nonsense like this.

ps. if that jock flexes at you, you flex back

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

bruce bowen has always been known to play *****rdly defense.

espn headline equivalent: spurs *****rd defender helps win title

actual word...but cmon now. espn loves to build up ppl and tear them down. they did it with tiger and now they will do it to lin. they hype ppl to death and then cackle like burns while using their litany of pathetic "humor" to take them out. i hate the company.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

I think Tiger deserved to be hyped to death....

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

This is ESPN, not the Westfield High School Gazette. I don't give them a pass. They have an entire editorial process that weeds out things like that. Someone knew exactly what the hell they were trying to do.

6. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

True. They build people waaaaay up so that they can spend even more time tearing them down (LeBron).

Sad way to be "journalists"

7. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

Yup, because the best way to prevent racism is to pretend it doesn't exist.
    :rolleyes:

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

What's up my Knicker?

1 person likes this.
  9. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

not only that Chinese workers who helped lay down railroad tracks in the 1800's were murdered so that their bosses wouldnt have to pay them. "no law against killin a chink" . so it isnt just 'they took our jooobz!" or a 'you hurt my feelings' thing.

10. Yonkers

<object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=997584,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=997584,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

11. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I'm half Chinese and while this doesn't bother me, it bothers the heck out of my mother who grew up in Mississippi in the 50's and 60's. She endured prejudice that most of us can't imagine.

Personally (and I tell her this all the time)...I think we all take ourselves too seriously and we should learn to laugh at ourselves better. All of my friends growing up picked on me for being Asian, and I would laugh along with them. I would crack on them for being black, Polish, German, etc., and it was all good.

12. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

lol. now that was well played.

13. MD_in_Training

Why should you learn to laugh at yourself better about your race? It's one thing to laugh at yourself if you, say... miss an open layup. It's another to laugh at yourself for being born black, white, yellow, brown, etc.

14. Yonkers

I think it's funny. And it's definitely something I've said before and would say amongst my friends. But headlines for a national newspaper? Seriously?

15. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Hah, imagine ESPN putting out a series of these:

No Cracker Jacks in Today's Box: Nicklaus fails to surprise at Open
    Spic and Span Clean as Garcia Pitches 3rd Perfect Game
    Texans' Rosenfels Drops the Money on Cheap 4th Down Play
    Dat Nguyen's Hands Full of Gook on Fumble Return
    Demarcus Cousins Sn1ggers at "Playoff Race" Comment

ESPN might become worth watching.

Back on topic, if you are a journalism professional, it's your job to know these things and filter them; someone should be accountable and fired. From a societal standpoint, on a large scale, I think it's a lot healthier to take these things in stride racist intent or not (I'm ethnically Chinese btw and found it funny).

What's that quote?: "When we can no longer casually laugh at each other's differences, then we know things have gone too far."

16. red_alertz

red_alertz Member

this, i am chinese but spent most of my life in the US, and it bothers me quite a bit, i 'd hate to see fellow asians refer to each other with racist slurs like how black ppl often call each other *****s, classless, when u lack the respect for yourself, how can u ask for respect from others?

17. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

someones getting fired lo l

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't think anyone is getting fired over this. Probably just reprimanded, if not just a slap on the hands.

Didn't Don Imus get his job back after a blatantly racist comment he made? At least this guy at ESPN can say he meant "chink" as a crack or a cleft.

19. what

what Member

So you just sit back and let people make jokes about your race and it don't bother you? :confused:

20. dback816

dback816 Member

I man, I love these kind of posts

"I"m XYZ and I don't find it offensive! I speak for everyone! Stop getting offended! Stop it now!!!"