1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN headline after Jeremy Lin loss: "Chink in the Armor"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Child_Plz, Feb 18, 2012.

1. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

thread over

2. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

It absolutely is. Same with homosexuals calling each other "queers" or "****". Don't use it if you're not using it within the context of the community, it's very simple.

3. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Is Chink even still derogatory? I guess it would help if I knew where it started.

4. dback816

dback816 Member

Make sense, just like how a black athlete is subject to being called a n**ger on the headlines of a major sports website...don't think that's happened recently though...mmm

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This.

It's not that anyone is intentionally more sensitive to racism against blacks. It's that if you say something racist about blacks, blacks will raise hell about it and many times people are more careful knowing the how crazy the backlash will be.

If there was a huge uproar from the Asian American community for this racist crap ESPN would have much more of an issue on their hands. And, if organizations knew they'd have to deal with this type of reaction on a consistent basis they would learn to police themselves more carefully.

6. dback816

dback816 Member

I lol'ed

Good job A_3PO

7. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

It was used against all types of Asians in the early 20th century in the US to demean them, as there was a lot of anger from Americans who viewed Asian immigrants as threats to their jobs and communities.

If you want to know if "chink" is still derogatory, go ahead and use that word around Asian people you don't know.

8. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

So Asian people should accept that fact that they will have racist remarks used against them because it's their fault that they're Asian?

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Watch "Deadwood."

10. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Wtf?!?!?!?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!

BAN HIM!

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

12. zoids

zoids Member

Nah, it's just asian, Al Sharpton won't care and no one will get fire over this. This is why people are still doing it.

13. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

So let's just put this into context with a related story and gauge your personal reaction:

The picture of the fortune cookie with Lin's face and the message that read "Lin's good fortune continues"

vs

A picture of a watermelon with T-Will's face and a supportive message

The outcry if that were to happen with a black athlete...that's why it won't ever be done. At the end of the day, as messed up as it sounds, it's good that all this ignorance and borderline racism involving Lin gets used up and tossed to the wayside one after another, because the media will know never to use them again. They got it all out of the system so that in the future they can and hopefully will learn from their mistakes. I'm pretty sure in the 50s racially insensitive headlines were made about blacks, it was only until a matter of time did they disappear after usage and reactionary condemnation. Remember, this is one of the very few times a prominent Asian American has took American society at the forefront. For Asian society, this age is still the 1950s in civil rights as it was for the blacks.

14. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

Just classic.

15. dback816

dback816 Member

So you're basically saying America learned nothing from the civil rights movement?

16. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

It works on TWO levels:

1. An actual fissure or crack in one's armor
    2. A derogatory word for Chinese people - Lin is Asian American (Taiwanese in fact)

So, saying that it would have been great if not for the negative connotation of the word "chink" reduces the "many" levels this horrible pun works on to one.

The post should have ended after your first four words.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think it should be understood the replies in this thread aren't representative of most Americans. Not even close.

18. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Absolutely not. What I'm saying is in terms of Asian Americans in American society, we still have a lot to learn, and at the end of the day it's good to have these ignorant (not even calling it racism) statements put forth so that hopefully the people who have used them and ultimately society as a whole can learn to not use them again for the betterment of society. And in reference to my civil rights movement comment, I feel that American civil rights and respect for the African American culture is more progressed than it is for Asian Americans in the year 2012, which I believe this is due to the African American civil rights movement over half a century ago.

19. dback816

dback816 Member

So enlighten me.

Which community is more likely to be racist:

A) Clutch BBS - an internationally diverse community dedicated to a team that once housed a hardworking Asian athlete

B) Generic sports forum #1928 about some team in some farm state

If A is already this bad, how would B fare?

20. AXG

AXG Member

To be fair, "chink in the armor" is a fairly common phrase that has nothing racial about it.

But yeah, I agree it was a poor use of words in this context.