1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN headline after Jeremy Lin loss: "Chink in the Armor"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Child_Plz, Feb 18, 2012.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

ESPN isn't a "sports" news channel anymore. It's more like TMZ mixed in with sports games.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This just shows that "racism" only applies to blacks in vast majority of American's minds. Pretty sad if you asked me. People are so ignorant about racism toward other minority groups.

MorningZippo and albuster like this.
  3. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HHt8wsLHhK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4d0nNS_zjds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It's smart, but inappropriate.

And your last comment, that's like saying if the N-word simply meant African Americans instead of having a racist history then a lot of jokes revolving around that word would be gold.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not at all. Don't let your disgust here drive you off a ditch. For obvious reasons, Americans are far more sensitive to racist terms about blacks than others. But for you to say racism only applies to blacks "in vast majority of American's minds" is very ignorant in and of itself. You are adding to the ignorance problem making such a ridiculous claim.

ESPN can only hope their apology is enough to sweep this under the rug. Hopefully there is enough outrage to force all details of how this happened to be released.

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dnb1aRb_p80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Luckily for ESPN that asians don't have a group like NAACP, or if it was done with the N word to the other race, ESPN would blowup pretty bad.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Obviously out of line.... let's see if the rainbow coalition steps up on this one.... guessin not.... ;)

10. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

You're just plain ignorant if you don't think "chink" is racist. I dare you to approach any group of Asian people you don't know and use the word "chink."

It's like having a story about a Mexican swimmer and using the term "wetback." Disgusting that some of you would even find it clever.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What is it about basketball that bring out the racism police? Yes, it was a bad title, get rid of it. But to sit here and start calling each other out (as so frequently happens on Clutchfans) doesn't seem very productive...?

I have frequented football, baseball, hockey, and music message boards and haven't encountered nearly as many "you're racist" posts as I have here. Demographics, I guess.

That being said... I don't know what was going through their minds when they released that title..

12. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

It's not subtle though, the word is right in the headline used to describe the athlete. Just because it's a case of lame wordplay doesn't absolve it.

What if a black player cost his team a game and the headline was "Alone in the Darkie"?

In what world is this okay? I don't think I'm being too PC asking the media not to make blatantly racist references.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I guess nobody found a good pun for "n***er" yet.

14. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

This is going to be a real tar baby for someone.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree, if you are working for multinational, as an experienced web person or writer. You would think ESPN are hiring people who would be cognizant of those sort of things. The only thing witty about that quote (for some people) is the chink in the armor refers to an Asian American, specifically and not necessarily his team. It's about context. If you were to say this about another team losing, most likely it wouldn't be an issue and it would refer to a team or player who is not Asian/Asian American.

16. dback816

dback816 Member

Nope, seems like a pretty accurate statement. This thread proves it :rolleyes:

Think about it this way. We actually have had a major Asian athlete affiliated with this team, yet the replies so far in this thread are still garbage.

How bad will other sports boards look in comparison?

17. Carl Herrera

I would have chuckled if, say, someone used that pun in describing Yao's injury history on clutchfans. But for the biggest sports media outlet to do it in this context? I only laugh at the idiot who thought this would not have matter. This is like a headline coming out of the Onion,.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

After reading this thread all I could think of is this:

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:cms:video:colbertnation.com:25082" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b>The Colbert Report</b> <br/>Get More: <a href='http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/'>Colbert Report Full Episodes</a>,<a href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor & Satire Blog</a>,<a href='http://www.colbertnation.com/video'>Video Archive</a></p></div></div>

19. LowrySauce

LowrySauce Member

<font size="7" face="verdana" color="red">Lin is asian... sorry but he's kind of subject to this...</font>

20. Carl Herrera