1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Grades and Comments

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrjohn, Jun 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

He never lived up to the potential, yet he was the sec player of the year.

1 person likes this.
  2. dram1

dram1 Member

And how do you suppose you were going to be so much better after the draft. They were not going to get that type of impact player with their draft positopn. They tried to move up, but it didn't work out.

Morris is a player that was rated higher than where he ended up. Many mocks had him as high as #6 and #7. He is a very versitile player that can score the ball in many different ways. He uses footwork and BBall IQ to get to the basket instead of depending on only on athleticism. He can be effective in the post and take a defender out to the three point arc.

I like Morris over Leonard too. Leonard would have been a great on ball defender type player, but I suspect he will be meiocre offensively at best. Yes he has freakish atheletic attributes and E.T. hands, but no offensive game. He could work his way uup to a Shawn Marion (old version) if he puts the work in, and this ceiling is so much lower than that of Morris.

Now, we are definitely stacked at the PF, but I can remember that for years everybody complained that all we had were midget shoot first PGs and no frontcourt presence. Well we have that now and folks are still complaining. Will they have their work cut out for them as far as sorting through the talent? Yes! But I believe there are worse situations to be in, like drafting a mediocre 7 footer simply because we need a C.

So, I love the Morris pick and I think the Rockets draft grade nest year will be an A+.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

"E.T. hands"

Awesome! Haha:grin:

4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I am very happy with picking up Morris and Montie.

I think Morris is a still - from a quality player and leader perspective.

I was never big on Leonard. I would not have been happy with him. He just does not excite me as a prospect. Interestingly we will watch both of them square up often.

Montie is is also an interesting and intruiging pick. I was not big on that Turkish center, Kanter. I am glad we did not go up to get him - that would have been a waste - considering we got a better player IMHO plus the lovely pickup in the better of the Morris twins.

We are set at SF for a long time to come.

5. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Unless Marcus Morris is a SF I agree. If Marcus Morris turns out to be our new starting Small forward? Then they get a B+. This is because Kawhi Leonard is sitting right there. Which I didnt like either as a player and feel Marcus Morris is better than. My caveat about that statement is Marcus is a better player than Kawhi but at PF. Tell you the truth none of that interests me until we see Marcus play some Small forward now. Unless they are trading Luis Scola or Patrick Patterson and keeping Marcus Morris or trading Marcus and keeeping the others for a center or something better. Alot of incompletes here I do not know about and am frankly a little tired of examining because its always unfinished business with Moreys decisions.

6. Shanghai Shake

When is the last time height, but no talent, actually made an impact in the NBA?? Hassan Whiteside, Daniel Orton, Solomon Alabi, Dexter Pittman etc........All centers from last years draft that made no impact.

7. dram1

dram1 Member

I don't think there was anything about the draft stategy of Morey that would warrant an incomplete. Kanter or Valanciunas were the only two centers that would ahve made an impact on the franchise ( Kanter immediate, V'nas in a few years). Those two guys were gone and we were not able to move up to that level to get them. So, Morey did what many GM are either afraid to do or just not competent enough to conceptualize. Drafting the best talent on the board. Morris was the best player on the board...yes the best, even over Leonard.

What would have been a total disaster is if Morey would have reached for a lesser talent that fit the mold of a center at #14. I would have been complaining with the best of them if he would have went down and got Vucevic with 14, as he was not worth that high of a pick. But Morris was worth more than a 14 pick. I think there are a lot of questions about the selections before us...like Markeiff? not better than his bro., Jimmer? should have been in the late teens at best, Klay Thompson?, not a lottery talent...because of the incompetency of the GMs responsible for these picks, the Rockets had Marcus Morris fall into their laps. No brainer!!! Had to take the best player. Ballsy! Solid strategy.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Dwyer gave us a C as well.

9. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Hard to blame them. We still didn't improve our center position.

10. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

its way too early to tell, but it looks like marcus morris could potentially be better than t-will.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well lets ******* hope so.

Be careful going out on such a narrow limb...

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So was Dan Langhi.

13. rocketsfan23

rocketsfan23 Member

i think rockets had a great draft. and for some of you thinking that we didn't get a center... don't forget about free ageny. plenty of centers there.

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I kind of agree with you. I just dont know if Marcus can turn into a small forward or we are using him for trade bait or to replace Scola if we move him. Its confusing for me becaus eI am not Morey the GM and do not know what his intention is with Morris at the Sf or PF position.

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

That's all well and good AS LONG AS THEY GET ONE. I can't imagine McHale would be too happy about going into the season with a 6'6" center, no matter how badass Chuck is. McHale likes his big guys to be actually big.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

...or....

That they can find someone better than either in free agency.

17. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011-nba-draft-grades

I like this grade better!

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Wasn't Steve Novak, too?

Rocket River

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Nice point. I gave them a C as well. Morris is an undersized 4 so they are projecting him to be a 3. IF (which is the litany of the Houston Rockets organization and their fans) he can actually show he can man the SF position in the pros, then passing over Leonard for him will have been a smart move. However, there are legitimate concerns about whether he can pull this off - his lack of speed and a reliable 3-point shot come to mind. There's also the poor history of Kansas players from Self's program not panning out in the pros. I am taking a wait-and-see approach on Morris for now until I see him actually show on the court that he can not only play inside but also on the perimeter. As it stands now, it looks like SF next season (whenever that is) will be a two headed monster: Bud for outside shooting and offense, Morris for inside scoring and defense.

20. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Chad Fraud actually gave us a D+ for that draft.

"One of the worst of the night." LMAO. The Rockets got steals for where they drafted that year, and they're going to make Chad Fraud look silly once again.