1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn] Gov. Barkley? Sir Charles eyeing office in Alabama

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LFE171, Jul 27, 2006.

1. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Please move if this belongs in the other threads but I thought it'd fit here since it is "Sir Charles" and all... :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2531022

MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- Basketball Hall of Famer Charles Barkley has changed his political uniform from red to blue and is talking again about running for governor of Alabama, possibly in 2010.

"Alabama, that's my home. I'm thinking about running for governor; they need the help," Barkley said.

His decision was received warmly by Joe Turnham, Alabama's Democratic Party chairman, but with skepticism by a political observer.

"I say welcome Charles Barkley. Charles Barkley has been a Horatio Alger story for many people, not only in sports but in business and broadcasting," Turnham said Wednesday.

Turnham said he plans to contact Barkley and invite him to some events the party has coming up.

Jim Seroka, a political science professor at Auburn University, said the former Auburn basketball star is getting ahead of himself by talking about possibly running without first building a base of support or looking at finances.

"He doesn't have any of the bases necessary to run a statewide campaign," Seroka said Wednesday.

Barkley, a Leeds native, has been talking about running for governor of his home state since he was playing with the NBA's Phoenix Suns. In 1995, he said he was considering running in 1998 as a Republican but that never materialized.

After that, Barkley continued to identify himself as a Republican until recently, when he switched to the Democratic team.

"I was a Republican until they lost their minds," he said earlier this month at a celebrity golf tournament in Nevada.

"Sir Charles" reinforced that Tuesday while speaking to a convention of public school board members in Destin, Fla.

"What I've said is I'm rich like a Republican. But I'm not one," Barkley said in remarks reported by The Birmingham News.

Barkley said his immediate goal is to get his 17-year-old daughter through high school and into college. Then he plans to decide on his future, including whether to run for governor of his home state.

"I really believe I was put on Earth to do more than play basketball and stockpile money," Barkley said. "I really want to help people improve their lives, and what's left is for me to decide how best to do that."

Alabama's last Democratic governor, Don Siegelman, said Barkley has become a role model for many people and "would make an excellent candidate for high office."

Siegelman noted that Barkley has the personal wealth to stage a strong campaign. "He's definitely going to be taken seriously," Siegelman said.

Twinkle Andress Cavanaugh, chairman of the Alabama Republican Party, said Barkley was never involved with the state party when he identified himself as a Republican, and she has no idea whether he's serious when talking about a future race for governor as a Democrat.

"To be governor requires more than a publicity stunt. It requires real leadership," she said.

In Barkley's remarks in Destin, he was not complimentary of Alabama's past leadership.

"If it wasn't for Arkansas and Mississippi, we'd be dead last in everything. I think we can do better," he said.

Barkley told the school board members that poor children don't have a level playing field with wealthier students, because the poor children have to cope with more problems like crime, drugs and teen pregnancy. But he also admonished some black parents and their children.

"There are too many black kids and their parents who do not value a good education," he said. "There are places where a black kid who is a good student and tries to speak correctly, you hear stuff like, 'He's trying to be white.' Well, I say, if that's true, we need more kids trying to be white."

So Shaq is a cop...and Barkley is running for Governor...wonder what Hakeem and Dream will be. :confused:

2. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Bull****. He's a better candidate by far automatically than anyone else. HE has the capability of getting education better. HE has the power to do a lot. Plus he wouldn't become governor just to get rich or embezzle money (fingers pointing at Siegelman). Seriously if I was Barkley, I would avoid that guy.

If Sir Charles ran for this office, he would win. In a landslide. I mean, he might quit after a few months or move the capital to Birmingham (since Montgomery SUCKS), but it sure would be fun to watch!

3. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

LMAO @ Gov. Barkley.

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

lol. Quote material for some of you D&Ders. :D

5. compucomp

compucomp Member

It does make sense though. There are quite a few rich people who used to be very strongly Republican because the Republicans were for smaller government and lower taxes, but nowadays the Republicans spend just as much as the Dems did and the evangelical Christians seem to have taken over the government (at least according to some people), which is why people like Barkley no longer really sympathize with them.

6. Ryan Bowen MVP

I don't know anything about his politics, but I really admire him as a broadcaster on TNT. He speaks with a lot of authority and confidence. I'm sure he has his college degree. I could see him as a great debater. He's been talking about running for a long time though.

7. ak47

ak47 Member

Barkley we be a great govenor lol.

8. brambly

brambly Member

Can not support any more

9. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

i thought Hakeem and Dream were the same person? ha j/k.

when i read that line by Charles where he's like "i'm rich like a Republican..' all i could think about was Chappelle saying "I'M RICH, b****."

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Hey if Arnie and Jessie the Body can be Gov. why not Sir Charles??

11. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Barkley would have the same advantage than guys like arnold schwarzenegger or reagan when he was governor, since he doesn't have a political background he doesn't have any strings attached, no interest groups that have propelled him through his career to please. Nonetheless, he's going to need to hire some damn good advisers because a lot of the financial nuances will be over his head, and he's going to need someone to explain it to him. The guy has ALL his money in CDs, he obviously knows little about finances.

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Charles won't run - he's just having fun with the press. He has too good of life to screw it up by committing himself to public service and politics.

Every couple years, George Foreman says he is going to make a boxing comeback. It never happens - the guy made over $100 million with his grill, which would soften anyone's resolve to put in the training and sacrifice necessary to be credible. Same holds true for Charles.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he's been saying that for years

14. Sextuple Double

F the nonsense. Barkley for President 08!!!

15. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

"If it wasn't for Arkansas and Mississippi, we'd be dead last in everything. I think we can do better," he said.

That is funny, he says what he feels, he never met a mic or a hamburger he didn't like.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why are you sure he has a degree? He left college early and I have neither seen nor heard that he ever went back to finish.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree he won't ever actually run, but I don't think he's just having fun with the press. I think he thinks he'll do it, but will later find himself going nowhere because he isn't willing to put in the necessary work.

18. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

I think you meant to say "HE has the capability of getting a better education." The guy is definitely funny on TNT, but he needs to learn how to speak correctly. :rolleyes:

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Great Post, but shouldn't this be in hangout?

20. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

I feel the same away about Gov. Barkley as I do about Gov. Schwartzenegger. Both certainly got the charisma and good intentions, but being outsiders to this process means they'll need to find good help from pros who know this game...