1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN frontpage: Best backcourt ever

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NL Rocket, Dec 18, 2014.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!! Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick, what the hell are these people smoking? How they can even make this judgment on a 1.25-year sample? I mean, seriously, there are even more combos I'd put above those two- I'd put Penny Hardaway and Dennis Scott (mostly for Penny, but he alone in his prime was better than both of them), Mark Jackson and Reggie Miller, etc. I would have no problem putting them in the discussion of the best backcourt- this year.

Again, "what" continues to come through with flying colors.

[​IMG]

2. Classic

Classic Member

oh lawd ESPN

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Rodrick Rhodes + Michael Dickerson

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I'm telling you right now, if Bogut misses as many games as, say, Dwight did, Golden State is going down. Even with him, they're not the best in the west. The Grizzlies, Rockets, Blazers, Clippers and Spurs are all better teams than Golden State b/c they have a better balance of bigs and smalls- but credit to GS for the hot start. Now, they may have a better regular season record than SA and a few others, but they're not making the NBA Finals- no way no how. Matter of fact, I honestly think it's going to be the Thunder, barring injury.

You watch- Golden State, with a few more losses, may actually go to the middle of the pack in the West. Props for the win streak, but a cake schedule during that streak. They're coming back down to earth, people.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Preface: I think the Warriors deserve the love they are getting. Their defense makes them a legit championship contender IMO. Steph Curry & Klay Thompson deserve the credit heaped on them also. Rockets fans who want those guys diminished to try and make Harden look better are pathetic. There are awesome players all around the NBA and that is a good thing.

But to even say those two might be the best backcourt in NBA history is ridiculous. They have done NOTHING! Zero! The need to spur stupid debates just to generate ratings is what I despise the most about ESPN. It's like they think sports fans are trained dogs who will salivate and fight over every piece of meat they toss to the masses.

MJ + ? is better than those two together. Simple as that. 30/30 GMs today would take MJ + whoever over these two.

What's legit is arguing whether these two are the best shooting backcourt ever. Of course, ESPN stirred that up last year so it's old news.

Harden vs. Thompson as the best SG is also debatable, but it's clearly Harden if a person is reasonable.

1 person likes this.
  6. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

Yup. The Warriors are legit. I wouldn't go as far to say Stephen Curry + Klay Thompson = Best Backcourt Ever, but they've been doing an incredible job this season.

I think the biggest change has been in their offense (which was stagnant with Marc Jackson), the coaching change has transformed their team, which already had a pretty good defense last year, into a team with a great defense and a great offense.

7. ryandoc

ryandoc Member

The "best backcourt" hasn't done anything in the postseason yet. If they're being praised right now, then they should be criticized if they fail to have any postseason success. Ya know, being the "best backcourt"... ever and all.

8. Major

Major Member

Yet here you are arguing about their article. Perhaps they are right? :p

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Warriors are great - it will be interesting though how they will play once Lee is back because he is super talented but a complete turnstile on defense. The addition of Green was huge with his strength to be able to guard 4s and quickness to make it harder for 4s defend him. I do like Curry and Klay, but if we are going to talk best backcourt ever they need to stop getting ahead themselves.

Clyde Frazier and Earl Monroe
    Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars

are my two tops -- heck I would even say the former Warriors backcourt of Hardaway and Mullin is better than Klay and Steph

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Heh heh, I'm trained just like other NBA dogs. Can't help myself.

11. what

what Member

step away from the keyboard

12. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

OPs suggestions are horrible lol. at least put some effort in researching the duos instead of MJ plus whomever for example. You could make a legitimate point of the best shooting backcourt ever though.

13. NotChandlerParsons

How about Harden plus whoever has the privilege of spotting up for 3s next to Harden ;)

14. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not saying the Warriors are not contenders, but they are not as good as their record indicates. Look at their schedule to date and tell me how many "tests" they've had?

They have failed most of them, with their best win coming at the beginning of the year against Portland.

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

by that logic they have the best front court, coach, and GM ever as well.

Remember when the Rockets went 22-0? that's better than 21-3 therefore rockets have best everything ever.

16. lalala902102001

Curry & Thompson best backcourt ever? Nah. Not even close.

Curry & Thompson best backcourt right now? Well it's hard to argue against that with Warriors's records being what it is.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Harden and Beverley still needs to give them a smackdown, that's why.

Don't worry, it'll happen sometime this season.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Such terrible logic.

19. what

what Member

they are obviously doing something right. best back court would be where i'd start

20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Sorry, OP, but Kenny Smith doesn't belong on any best backcourt lists. I will love the 1993-1995 Rockets for eternity, but Kenny was a pretty average PG.

How about Clyde Drexler and Terry Porter? John Starks and Derek Harper? Mookie Blaylock and Steve Smith? Jim Jackson and Jason Kidd? ;)