1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN front-office ranking - Rockets standing prediction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smartxtai, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Honeybager81

Honeybager81 Member

I am curious about coach mchale's ranking? I would rank him a top 10, but in reality, he probably is in the 10-15 range.

2. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Right, but the next step? You have to actually turn those picks into something, like Morey did. I'm just shocked at the lack of respect Morey often gets for how amazing he's generally been, though to be fair, this is still an overall score and not one solely based on our GM (but him not winning Executive of the Yr last season was BS!).

And Pacers? Their trade deadline tinkering is probably a contributing factor to the mental collapse and current troubles the team is going through; just imploding...

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

they turned those picks into KG and ray allen and won a championship and now they are trying to do it again.

4. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I was fully aware that the criteria included the coach, front office manager, and the owner.

If you have Les in the top five while ranking McHale in the top ten. I thought Morey could have taken us to the top five.

I guess I was wrong. They probably ranked Les in the top ten. Whilst the slip in the rankings out of the top five.

Regarding the Celtics, it makes more sense if you guys say it like that.

Thanks for the info.

5. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I thought this was for only 2014. Is it instead a ranking for all-time?

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Chicago is too high for my taste. I consider Thibs to be the main driver behind their success.

7. torocan

torocan Member

What makes you so sure McHale was in the top 10? :p

8. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member

Thunder? are you kidding? They lucked into Durant/Westbrook.

The Harden trade was so bad that it on it's own should remove them from the top five.

Ownership is part of the equation and an owner who stymies a team's chance of being a DYNASTY gets no respect.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I can't really complain about the Rockets coming in at #7 overall in the weighted rankings. I would have maybe put them a couple of spots higher, but I am obviously biased.

San Antonio is clearly #1. The combination of Greg Popovich and R.C. Buford has been the gold standard for competent NBA management for years, and they are both still at the top of their game. I'm not sure what impact Peter Holt has on the ranking, but if nothing else, he is smart enough to know to let those guys do their jobs.

I also have little issue with Miami at #2. They've won the last two championships and are on pace to potentially be the first team in decades to make four consecutive NBA Finals. While it certainly helped already having Dwyane Wade in the fold, what Pat Riley pulled off in 2010 was a master stroke of GM'ing. Spoelstra is also a very good coach (albeit not in the top 5 IMO).

The Mavs (Carlisle), Pacers (Vogel) and Bulls (Thibodeau) each have, IMO, one of the top 5 coaches in the NBA (along with Pop and perhaps Doc Rivers).

Cuban--like him or not--is a very good owner, and Donnie Nelson is a pretty good GM.

Larry Bird is a terrific GM, and it has been amazing to see how the Pacers built a title contender without either a top-5 pick or a team stupid enough to trade them James Harden.

The Bulls have quietly amassed a nice collection of assets. (Don't overlook how valuable Nikola Mirotic is as an asset.)

Boston has a very good GM (Ainge), a hot young coach (Stevens) and an overall front office at the forefront of the analytics landscape (along with Houston).

All in all, I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over the Rockets being ranked behind each of these teams.

Personally, I would probably rank Morey as a top-3 GM, Alexander as a top-10 owner, and McHale as a middle-of-the-pack coach.

10. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

This is about right.

11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Our rankings took a hit because the front offices booking of the half time entertainment... We gotta rank near the bottom on that :eek:

12. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

My homerism, I guess I was too optimistic.

13. JBar

JBar Rookie

Considering the Rockets haven't won a playoff series in many years, that seventh place is about as high as one could expect. Let's hope that mark against the Rockets will be null and void after this spring.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If it's the current management, and not historical, then Toronto should be somewhere in the top 5.

15. torocan

torocan Member

Depends on how you rate Casey and MLSE (the owners). Ujiri you could argue is near or in the top 5. However, is Casey a top 5 coach? Is MLSE a top 5 owner? If no, then no... they're not in the top 5.

16. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

I like this ranking although I'd probably put Houston below OKC, Portland and GS maybe ranked about 11th because they still having coaching and rotation problems +soon to be bloated player contracts in Lin and Asik. The acquisition of Howard was the last good thing the management has done. Since then there have been a lot of blunders and missed opportunities, especially with trades and improving the coaching.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think the rankings are fine. But going by their criteria, which seems to feature a lot of historical success, the Rockets actually should be lower. We haven't done anything YET. We are likely going have major success over the next few years. But nothing has materialized. So ranking our front office in a way is an investment in the future that may or may not come true.

18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Chicago?! Chicago ahead of houston?! Bunch of turds.
    They let go korver AND belinelli. The best they could do to replace them is dunleavy. They can't even get rid of boozer and his horrible contract. they're lucky to have thibs for the coach. Else they wouldn't even be in the playoffs.

19. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Rockets ownership ranked fifth in the organization.

So I was right with my first assessment about Les.

20. torocan

torocan Member

Hrm, interesting owner rankings. Texas takes 3 of the top 5 spots.

1. Spurs (Holt)
    2. Dallas (Cuban)
    3. Heat (Arison)
    4. Celtics (Grousbeck)
    5. Rockets (Alexander)

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10710924/2014-nba-front-office-rankings-owners

Gotta be something in the water...

That said, can't wait to see the GM and Head Coach rankings. Will be interesting to see what the outside observers make of the Morey and McHale...