1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN E:60] James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Aug 15, 2015.

1. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

Just watched the E:60 episode about JJ Watt, reminded me of this. Anyone have any info about this one?

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Crazy looking at James barbers pics. I knew him from when he was a kid. My aunt and his mom were good friends and I use to go to his house every once in awhile plus his family went to my church. I actually hung out more with his bro (RIP) when we were kids. Real cool to know this kid did good for himself.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The story of the man behind the beard. James Harden - Tuesday 10p ET on ESPN <a href="https://t.co/46TAeBNDTm">pic.twitter.com/46TAeBNDTm</a></p>&mdash; E:60 (@E60) <a href="https://twitter.com/E60/status/721059360001105920">April 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What, are you kidding? I've seen maps of the area confuse the two so easily, I can't blame Paul Towers for mixing them up, too.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Paul Towers

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thoughts on some of the great beards in history:

Abe - that's vintage, one of the best to ever do it
    Santa - classic
    ZZ Top - who is that? ... I wish I could get mine as long.

What nickname did your mom give you when you were born?
    Harden: She didn't give me a nickname.
    Mom: Lucky. (Between Harden & his sister, she suffered a series of miscarriages)
    Harden: I didn't know that.

Harden was raised by a single mother in Compton.
    Odds are against you. People aren't strong-minded. They're in jail or not here anymore.

James Harden Sr. was in & out of prison on drug charges throughout his son's childhood.

Relationship with him? He was in jail so we really didn't spend time together at all. He would get out on occasions but it was pointless. I had no trust, no faith in him. It was just me and my mom.

Mom: It was hard to raise three kids on single income. If I let my guard down, the gangs will get him. Then I'll be burying my kids. That's why I kept him active in sports.

Harden: It was basketball & school. I'd be out there 'til 1:30-2:00am just playing.

Mom: He wasn't a trouble maker. One time he got in trouble in junior high. He threw a basketball at a girl that kept bothering him. He wasn't into dating. He just wanted to play basketball in the gym. I think she was flirting so he threw the basketball. Sorry!

HS Coach: He was a little soft. He had not lifted weights. Not imposing by any means.

Harden: I couldn't really do anything. I couldn't really move. Kinda slow. Very slow. I could shoot. I was a catch and shoot type of player.

Mom: He already knew what he wanted to do. Mom, I'm going to the NBA. He didn't have a plan B.

Harden: I felt I would be a star one day. Didn't know when but knew it would happen.

HS teammate: When he started to put the ball on the floor in HS, we said you're the next Manu Ginobili. Manu was the best with the eurostep. I think he emulated him growing up.

Harden: The eurostep is all natural instincts. Just me being crafty. I had to figure a way to get to the basket.

(Rookie in OKC) What did you view your role as when you arrived? I felt I should have been the starting 2 guard. That wasn't the case. I came off the bench. I had to be humble & just continue to work.

Durant: We were all so young at the time and learned the NBA lifestyle together. That makes it easier as well. We grew up together.

Scotty Brooks asked if I wanted to start. I told him no. We had a chemistry. My role was to come off the bench for the better of the team.

What did you think your future was with OKC?

That I was gonna be the 6th man forever. Forever. It's been almost 4 years and I still think about it. What if, what if...

What does this (OKC) house represent to you? (His former house, now/was his sister's.)

Mom: Divorce.

Is that the right word?

Harden: Yeah, I would say so.

Are you mad?

Harden: I was. This is 4 years ago.

Why didn't you accept OKC's offer?

It was an afternoon phone call, 4 o'clock and had an hour to accept or not. This is the most money I've ever made in life and you're giving me a short amount of time? It wasn't enough time for me.

[Harden got a phone call later that night informing him of the trade.]

That was a very, very sad night.

What did you think when the phone call ended?

Went home. Laid down. Started tearing up. We had big plans. We were gonna win a championship for years. That ended quick.

Durant: That's what people don't notice, it's the relationships that's difficult to let go.

Mom: There was a bond there with Kevin & Russell. That was the hardest part, leaving that relationship.

It's been almost 4 years and I still think about it. What if, what if...

What's the answer to the if?

It stops when I think about it now.

Harden: How am I gonna figure this out? Starting, my own team, go-to guy. First game I had 37 & 12 assists. Next game 45 points. Those two games gave me that confidence that I was gonna be alright, I was gonna be good.

56 wins to where you are now, how do you explain it?

Frustration. Wins aren't there so people are saying he's getting his stats but they aren't winning. Can't play defense. Doesn't pass the ball more. Not a winner. I hear it all. I don't pay attention to it. Great leaders & HOFers aren't built when things are going well.

Mom: Still trying to figure out this man they're talking about is my son. I get tears in my eyes.

Harden: Continue to shock the world. A lot of people a few years ago never thought I'd be in the position I am today. I am.

#27 J.R., Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So we'll get defense in a few years:p?

9. for-three

for-three Member

Harden's Mom should give Shaq and Barkley a good tongue lashing for the way they have trashed her son.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Not to play amateur psychiatrist but maybe the lack of a strong father figure in his life explains a lot. He's acted as if he's going his own way as a player; but he also acts as if he wants that guy who'll kick his ass a bit. When he had coaches really challenge him for Team USA, he responded. He attended Kelvin Sampson's speech when the guy went to UH.

I have always thought Harden wants someone to look up to, who'll give him direction.

Yes, I'm reaching. Am I reaching?

But it follows as a small but important part of his psyche.

11. BackdoorHarden

I take it that his mom doesn't watch TNT or go on Clutchfans.net

12. rockets13champs

at a few points i got scared he might get lured into going back to OKC in 2018 if kd and westbrook stay. On the other end theres a chance Scott Brooks, KD and in 2017 Westbrook come to Houston

13. BackdoorHarden

Makes perfect sense. He was a great defender when he was on Team USA. Now with no leadership, he turns into a piece of crap that everyone is talking crap about.

You look at guys like Klay and Curry that grew up with daddy, they listen to their coach because they know if they don't, Dell or Mychal will kick their ass.

Then you look at Draymond, who didn't have a daddy, and he needs a guy like Izzo or Kerr or he would probably be in prison.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Despite this year he still has a great story

15. BackdoorHarden

KD is either coming here OR:

KD, Harden, Russell = LAKERS 2018

We know KD ain't going back to OKC

16. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-mnzaBWifqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  17. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

You're not reaching at all. Thibs is that man.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Really well done. We are lucky to have him