1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Dwight Howard: Never asked Rockets for a trade; 'not running'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sugrlndkid, Feb 11, 2016.

1. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

I thought the season was bad enough, now we got Dwight drama being mixed in. James Harden's cooking motion turned against us.

2. NateNate

NateNate Member

Idk if you know, but they were on the same aau team together.

3. dmoneybangbang

You that anxious to be stuck in mediocrity and the 14th pick again?

What GS and the Spurs have isn't easily replicable at all.

4. dmoneybangbang

Let's be realistic....

[​IMG]

5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Yo boys... I just ran off on the plug twice!!!

6. malakas

malakas Member

Lol like someone needs to be manipulated to want 50 million more? Nope. Its human nature and totally understandable. This is his last big contract and he has like 10 kids. He has to do whats best for him and his family.

You are wrong here t_man. The league today has put some very good measures in the cba and the cap with the max contracts so that young stars cant leave like they used to 20 years ago.
    Now even Minny has money to pay their young stars. And with the rise of the social media its not that important to be in the biggest market to be famous or popular.

20 years ago for example A.D would already be in the lakers because there would be no rfa restrictions and la could pay him much more than No could.

Thats how the lakers stole Kareem from the Bucks for example.

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I agree the league has changed.. 20 years ago, superstars would not come together to play on the same team.. Check out Magic and Bird documentary... They wanted to play against each other..

The rules were totally different back then... But thanks to Curt Flood with baseball the rules started changing with Free agency not only for baseball, but also for basketball.... 20 years ago, a player didn't have the same rights as they do now and the nba didn't have TV money like they do now.

So saying A.D would already be a laker is not necessarily true.

As for as Kareem goes, let me give you a little history on that...

The Lakers did not steal Kareem from the Bucks... At the time he was Lew Alcindor (His birth name).. After the Bucks won the 71 championship he became a muslim and changed his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.. This did not sit well with the NBA or the Bucks..

After that issues came up.. A house that Jabbar bought for his muslim leader was attacked and I think 7 or 8 people were killed including kids.. The bucks actually ended up with body guards and a lot of disruption on the team.

Milwaukee was becoming uncomfortable with Kareem and everybody needed a change... Kareem wanted to either go to the New york his home town or LA where he played for UCLA....

So there you go... A short synopsis of a long story...

T_Man

#47 T_Man, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    2 people like this.
  8. T_Man

Where you think we're at right now with 2 so called superstars???

If i'm going in the 8th to 9th seed, give me some players who give a damn.

T_Man

9. malakas

malakas Member

Well he may not end up in LA but he would have ended up in a big market who would have the means to pay him, because most teams when they weren't big markets couldn't spend that much for the "stars".

Interesting story repped.
    I know about he had problems because Milwaukee didn't suit him as a muslim and he wanted to go to a cosmopolitan market (truth be told from what I have surmised, Milwaukee is one of the most segregated american cities even today). But I believe he wanted to leave even before and he was never happy to be in a small market team. He never tried to embrace the city and even come together with his teammates or the team. Even a championship team.

But anyway maybe he isn't the best example because he's a weirdo with a bad personality anyway.

10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

They are correct, they haven't asked for trade. They asked for a max contract, which is just like asking for trade. Semantics!!!

11. T_Man

I like what you're saying... But take in mind the NBA was so so different back in the 70's and 80's then what they are today....

Especially with the small market and big market and also the movement of players... It was not as easy for a player to move back then as it is today and the tv market did not really come into play until stern became commissioner and he started marketing Dr. J, Bird and Magic... Baseball and boxing was the biggest tv market and football was on it's way.

You are correct about kareem wanting to leave, but it was not because of the small market... He was more about the weather...

Actually, a couple of the players on the team played with him at UCLA and he still kept in touch with them... Kareem was a guy that stayed to himself and he was taught to not trust the media by John Wooden when he was at UCLA....

Hope that helps...

T_Man

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I was against trading him but if we were gonna make him OPT out like this WTF at least get something for him.

Why is the Front office (and owner) so obsessed on doing stupid crap?

13. OTMax

OTMax Member

He be running now!!!

14. Rudy

Rudy Member

Out of town or in D'Antoni's 7 secs or less offense?

15. LakerGIFs

LakerGIFs New Member

Will Dwight definitely opt out with the hiring of D'Antoni?