1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Daily Dime: Scola Tops "Best Not Quite NBA Stars" List

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theogcasey, Feb 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

who noticed scola way up on that espn list today of best contracts??? I can't believe we had 3 key rotation guys in the top 25, that's very impressive work morey

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

Scola = Most underrated player in the NBA.

If not most than he surely is close to it.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I still think Adelman is not using Scola quite right. We could squeeze more production and efficiency out of Scola's game by having him play more minutes without Yao, and less minutes with Yao. If you want to see Scola's production spike up, simply replace him in the starting lineup with Landry and then make him Yao's replacement early. This would have Scola playing primary minutes against backup big men. It would also make him the primary option in the post when he is in the game for the most part. In all honesty, Scola should be the primary offensive option when Yao is out........period, not McGrady or Artest. Our offense should be designed around getting the ball to Yao and when Yao goes out, getting the ball to Scola.

If Scola played the 16-18 minutes per game that Yao was off the floor, then got another 12 minutes or so with Yao, his scoring numbers would go up significantly, with him being the primary option on the 2nd unit. And he would be even more efficient as he would have the low post as the primary option for us to go to. I wish, wish, wish that Adelman would just do it. Move Scola out of the starters role and onto the 2nd unit. Either that or start him and pull either him or Yao early and start subbing them back and forth for each other. It would help our spacing, it would help Yao, it would help Scola. Scola should be averaging 17 ppg playing off minutes to Yao and occasional minutes with him instead of having to subserve his game and move out to 18 feet when Yao is in the block. I would bet if Adelman separated those two guys that Yao's scoring average would increase by 2 ppg and Scola's scoring average would increase by 4. And we would be getting much more efficient offense.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

if tmac is really done and ther'es no trade, i'd love to see Scola become the second option after yao, and ron third. Let him become the Scola that was the MVP of the olympics (yeah i know not the same style, but u know what i mean).

5. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

He makes mistakes just like every player does. I don't expect any player to play a perfect game every night. Yes he isn't a great defender, but is he the worst? No. He is the most consistent player we have, and I guess that's why I barely find myself questioning what he does on the court. You just expect a solid game from him and he always delivers exactly that.

He is just crafty around the basket and he runs the court EVERY fast break.

#25 wakkoman, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Luis is surprisingly good on the boards. I don't think he can score at a higher rate than he is right now, though. And his biggest weakness is that he can't protect the middle at all. He's basically a Troy Murphy on a good contract.

7. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I would have to say that along with Yao, Scola is untradeable.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I said it many times. And I want to say it one more:

I still can't believe we stole the dude from the Spurs!

9. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Nuh-uh, we had to give up V-SPAN to get him! Didn't you know he was T-Mac back in Greece?

Oh, I guess that doesn't mean much these days...

10. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Haha yea, it all depends if you're talking about T-Mac of 2005 or T-Mac of 2009.

11. jondoe

jondoe Member

Tmac needs to give up some of his salary so the rox can re-sign him, Brooks, Landry. Tmac should make around Artest's salary.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I feel like he should get more offensive touches because he is one of the more efficient starters.

13. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I absolutely cringe when I read posts calling him "Scrubola".

If anything, it should be "STUDola.

Dude is a gun.

14. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

scola is awsome

15. joesr

joesr Member

you would think yao for his size and weight isnt athletic

16. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

You mean Tru Warier.

17. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

Viva la Scola!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front court is so good! :)

18. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Yao's lack of athleticism doesn't hurt him due to his enormous size, sure he's not versatile defensively, but he's still 20/10/2

Scola is unathletic but there are a lot of jawdropping athletes who don't utilize their talent

Scola is a double-double machine given 30+ minutes a game, he plays a physical brand of basketball (3.2fta a game) in 29 minutes is quite great compared to the scariest man of them all (KG who only shoots 2.6 FTA in 33 minutes)

He gets 8.2 rebs a game alongside Yao who is good rebounder himself, If there is anything desired in Scola's game is what he noticeably lacks is his athleticism but regardless he is the epitome of consistency, heart, hustle and team play.

Scola's PER 36 are impressive

15.4 pts, 10 Rebs and another important stat 4 FTA per game which for an unathletic guy is great.

Per 36 in this case is not misleading here because he does play 29 minutes a game, not 6 or 7 minutes a game :D

19. bjshot

bjshot Member

That's one reason I think he should be off bench. He can be a go-to guy type player.

20. devin23

devin23 Member

In my opinion, other than Yao, Scola should be untouchable.