1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Cuban: "Players and owners should get together and create our own World Cup of Basketball"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Richie_Rich, Aug 2, 2014.

1. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

If getting paid $15 million a year to play basketball constitutes slavery, count me in.

These guys make more in one year than most of us will in our lifetimes. Its a very strange argument.

2. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

Yeah but not much of the world will be watching this event which is kind of his point.

3. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Cuban hopes George injury spurs change; 'We're being taken advantage of by IOC,' Mavs owner says

Quote:
    "I think it’s a bigger issue than star players,” Cuban said Saturday night. “We are being taken advantage of by the IOC (International Olympic Committee) and to a lesser extent FIBA (International Federal Basketball Association).

“We take on an inordinate amount of financial risk for little, if any, quantifiable gain. It’s like our guiding principle is to lose money on every game and make it up in volume. There is no logic to our position. (We) just hope we get value somewhere in the future.”

Asked if the NBA has any recourse, Cuban said: “It will be interesting. I’ve been beating my head against the wall for more than 10 years. But there has been considerable turnover in ownership of teams in the last few years.

“New owners have paid considerably more for their teams and have different expectations than the owners they replaced. I’m hoping they won’t accept the value of participating in FIBA tournaments and the Olympics on faith.

“I hope they want quantifiable returns for the risk we all are taking. That could create change.”

The big issue is that players who are not under long-term contracts are largely unlikely to play in the Olympics or World Cup, not wanting to risk future earnings that are not yet guaranteed.

Most of the players on the current USA Basketball team for the World Cup are playing in the NBA on long-term deals. George is set to start a five-year, $90-million contract this season.

“The IOC monetizes everything they touch,” Cuban said. “FIBA tries. The players won’t play unless they have their contracts in place. So that leaves just the owners holding all the risk.

“We pay no matter what happens. I think If we can work out supporting the basketball federations of other countries, we can create a tournament that will eventually approach the popularity of soccer’s World Cup.”​

4. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

You mean the NBA?

5. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Paul George injury invites questions about NBA involvement in FIBA

Quote:
    If owners aren't successful in pulling the biggest stars out of FIBA competitions, perhaps a reasonable compromise would be to exclude a player's salary from the cap and tax calculations if he suffers a season-long injury in FIBA activities. At the very least, the injured player exception should be excused from tax payments. Of course, the owners are the ones who insisted on these massive luxury-tax rates, so the issue isn't one of simple winners and losers.

"If the possibility of something like this happening exists, that's fine," one Eastern Conference executive said. "But it should be zero dollars against the cap and tax."

The idea of NBA players competing internationally has done wonders for spreading the league's product and its ambassadors all over the globe since the Dream Team first took the Olympics by storm. Everyone has benefited -- the owners, the players, and the league.

Now, for one All-Star and his team, the concept has done immeasurable harm.

Does the image of a fallen star being carted off on a stretcher change anything? Does that image, the aftermath of a freak accident, become the legacy of NBA involvement with FIBA? At the very least, it will frame all future discussions about whether NBA stars should be participating, and about who should bear the risk.

6. bmd

bmd Member

Cuban is right. I don't know why so many in this thread are b****ing about what he said.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Because Cuban's alternative (limit involvement to 21 and under) defeats his initial argument. Why should the top players of ANY level consider playing for free? You might as well just do away with Olympic basketball.

8. Christopher

Christopher Member

This is something every major international sport wrestles with.

I like the idea of international basketball being influenced more by the NBA in terms of administration, but what needs to be remembered is that you have dozens of countries out there who are doing their best to develop their international sides.

When you start to make decisions based purely on risk to players and financial returns, you start to run the risk of destroying international competition.

Looking at a team like Australia for instance....we will never be able to put together a financially viable international series against anyone despite the fact we have produced a number of NBA players. It would be hard under Cuban's plan to justify Australia having access to the players it has produced.

From an NBA teams point of view, that might be OK. Cuban views these players as belonging to the NBA. The problem is a lot of players these days are born, raised and developed overseas.

9. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I hate the people who want to take advantages with others pain.
    Disgusting

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We have been debating this over the years. So I am not going into it.

I just want to state that the NBA is not the World Cup of basketball. Cuban at least understands this. That's why he proposes to create a World Cup on his terms, rather than says, "Who cares about the World Cup? We already have the NBA."

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Because Chandler Parsons

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm still confused about the risk that Cuban is bearing?

Are the players uninsured? It's the insurance company paying for Paul George this season isn't it?

I would've thought Cuban benefited from the world cup? Any players he has who play (in a tournament that costs him nothing) gain international exposure, and make his product more marketable.

I've never seen an NBA contract, but I highly doubt it gives the owner the right to decide what a player does on their free time. If they are allowed to do what they like, then why can they not play world cup basketball?
    If the world cup was DURING the NBA season, then Cuban might have a point, but since it is in the off-season, he doesn't.

13. Mr. Clutch

He just wants the money from running it. He doesn't have the right to run it, though he can try.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Oh, I'm fully aware of that!

I'm just trying to put the questions he actually poses to the test. Seems there are too many in here who say 'yuh, Cubes is right, huh, huh'.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Which is a dumb point because millions will watch which is why networks pay a ton of cash to broadcast it and promote the **** out of it.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

Any chance I get to play in the NBA World Cup? I got paulwtfk. We need 3 more.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We haven't been debating anything for years.

The NBA champion is recognized the best team on the world that year, and that makes you inexplicably upset for me to say that, because they didn't technically have to beat Murray State or the Shanghai Sharks, or a random exhibition squad of Croats.

Don't make it untrue

18. Mr. Clutch

Yeah you're right.

What bugs me about Cuban is that he presents it as a moral fight of good vs evil and protecting players when he just wants more of the money. He's obnoxious.

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

What the hell is this nonsense? The owners take the risk because the players have traded off more money for the risk to be placed on the owners via guaranteed contracts. Burden of risk doesn't shift in contract negotiations for free and they were fully aware of international play and its potential risks 2 cba's ago.

He's either pleading ignorance or really is one of those lucky idiots.

20. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

The stupid thing is george did not get injured playing a fiba game. He got injured playing a practice game between usa players. Could also have happened during rec games in the summer or regular practice. Maybe cuban wants to stop practice since he is not making money of it. Iverson would have loved him.