1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN.COM] Suns to sign Brain Grant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rikesh316, Aug 15, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2135122

The Phoenix Suns are on the verge of at least one big-name score from the waiver wire.

The agent for Brian Grant told ESPN.com on Monday night that the veteran big man, released via the new amnesty clause by the Los Angeles Lakers last Wednesday, plans to sign with the Suns later this week.

"Unless something changes dramatically, [Phoenix] is where Brian wants to be," said agent Mark Bartlestein.

The Suns, one of an estimated 20 teams to show interest in Grant since his L.A. release, are expected to sign the 33-year-old to a two-year deal starting at $1.67 million after he clears waivers Wednesday.

Phoenix will then try to complete its dream haul by signing Michael Finley, although that task figures to be much tougher.

The Dallas Mavericks were expected to make Finley their amnesty player by midnight Monday -- after dogged attempts to trade him away first -- but the Suns will have the least to offer financially of the elite teams hoping to land Finley: $1.1 million next season.

The San Antonio Spurs have just over half of their $5 million mid-level exception remaining to woo Finley, and the top two teams in the East are offering more. The Miami Heat and the Detroit Pistons will be offering Finley a contract starting at the full mid-level exception, as will the on-the-rise Denver Nuggets.

The Suns clearly have a great need for Finley, with Joe Johnson headed to Atlanta in a sign-and-trade deal that was agreed to late last month and which should finally be completed by Friday. Yet they're also eager to land Grant as part of a revamped front line that also features newcomer Kurt Thomas.

Thomas and Grant are smaller than the ever-improving Amare Stoudemire, but both bangers have considerable experience playing center. That means Suns coach Mike D'Antoni will now have two veteran options to play alongside Stoudemire, who emerged as an All-Star center last season but who prefers to play power forward.

Grant was one of three players acquired by the Lakers last summer in the Shaquille O'Neal trade with Miami. Knee and neck injuries, though, limited the 6-9, 250-pounder to career-lows in scoring (3.8 ppg), rebounding (3.7 rpg) and minutes (16.5 mpg).

The introduction of the amnesty clause gave the Lakers an opportunity to release Grant without paying any further luxury tax on his contract. With two years left on that contract, Grant is still owed nearly $30 million from the Lakers.

Grant's offer from the Suns comes with a one-year guarantee and a player option for the second season as the 11-year-veteran tries to re-establish himself after his '04-05 misery. Grant has career averages of 10.7 points and 7.6 rebounds.

2. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

Sounds like a great signing for the Suns. Solidifies the frontcourt a lot behind Thomas and Stoudemire after losing Hunter, and for cheap too.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Brain Grant? Genius.

4. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Good move for the Suns, but he won't do their fast break any good.

5. foodworld

foodworld Member

Stephen Hunter wasn't a world-beater, but he's no worse than Grant at this point. His knees are gone, and so is his game.

In his prime though he was a good and underrated player, even though he's only 6'9".

6. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

i feel sorry for suns fans.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The Suns agree, he's lost a lot of talent, but he has become a very smart player.

8. droxford

droxford Member

LOL!... no, ... check the spelling in the thread title, rezdawg.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm glad somebody else finally caught on to that. :)

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This was a good signing by the Suns. They needed Grant badly when they moved Voskhul and lost Hunter. Grant will get them rebounds, but they are still hurting for shot blocking, and that was something Hunter gave them.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Damn you Colangelo! I called dibs! Drats!

Definitely a good move for the Suns - he and Kurt Thomas would have made a huge difference in the Spurs series. Suns managment really got the message that their fast break team would be great only in the regular season. If they manage to grab Finely, they'll be in superb shape, and everyone that laughed at their offseason will be shut up in a hurry.

Amare /Grant
    Marion /Thomas
    (Finley) /Jackson/Thompson
    Bell /Diaw
    Nash /Barborosa

Plus two draft picks. Puts them in great shape to sign Amare to a max extension, and will have draft picks to bring in supporting players on the cheap, as opposed to choking on Joe Johnson's near-max deal. They're still razor thin at the power positions, and are a Nash hamstring pull from crashing into the ground face-first, but may be better built for the playoffs and the future.

Evan

12. aries323

aries323 Member

I think they want KT to play C, grab the boards, do the dirty work, hit open jumpers,

So

KT
    Amare
    Marion
    (Finley) / Bell
    Nash

Still without Q and JJ they lost a lot of offense, I dont see an improvement over last years squad.

13. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I am with you. I cannot tell you enough how disappointed they will be.

I am just laughing and waiting for the season to start.

I am willing to bet that the Suns as they stand now (even if the add Finley) will not finish any higher than 6th seed in the West. I will prefer they finish 8th so that we can do the honors of knocking them out in the first round.

I pitty Suns Fans - they are in for a rude awakening.

14. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

By signing a bunch of defenders with limited offense, it looks like the Suns are trying to beat the Spurs at their own game. Good luck with that.

15. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Don't pity the Suns fans, pity the people that are gonna take it in the pants now that Phoenix isn't exciting anymore. Amare and Nash had brought an offensive renaissance that would rejuvenate interest in basketball. Now Stern, the television networks, and the sponsors that were hoping for that same excitement are caught with just their d*ck in their hands.

Also, anyone who thinks this Suns team is better is sadly mistaken. EVEN if they did sign Michael Finley, this team is not half as good as last year's team. The way they succeeded last year was by creating matchup problems by moving everyone out of position. No center could guard Amare who was more of a 4 and no power forward could chase around Marion who's actually more of a 3. If they slide KT into center, this team will be more half-court than fast break because they don't have the shooters to space the floor and open the break. Both Nash and Amare aren't great half-court players and we've only really seen them flourish when teams couldn't leave shooters open and had to let the pick and roll have more freedom. Now that the Suns don't have that great option. So, to summarize, last year Phoenix was deadly on the fast break and was able to survive in the half court because three shooters could space the floor for the pick and roll. This year their fast break won't be half as good as it was, so they'll be doing even more half court which they were already weak at. Unfortunately, their half court is even worse. That means D'Antoni won't just be able to yell at them to run faster and have it pay off. Phoenix will be lucky to make the second round.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ahhhhhh, poor fellers. Bless their little hearts.
    :p

17. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

I can't believe people think he'll make a difference...I've watched nearly all of the Laker games since Grant was there and he's useless now. He can't jump, get up the floor, or finish around the basket anymore. Not to mention he can't block any shots at all.

18. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I put this in an article that went up today: Grant had 24 percent of his shot attempts blocked last season. Yikes.

A great guy, but his body is SHOT.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

A stat like that requires the :eek:

I had no idea it had gotten that bad for him.

20. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Exactly. They had a wonderful, hard to defend system. They should have picked up even more offense this offseason. They will still be playing a lineup that is 40% defensive liability that they cannot afford to sit down. Amare is their tallest player. Kurt Thomas and Brian Grant were signed about 5 years too late. Tim Duncan and Yao Ming should love this crew of midgets.