1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN.com: Dan Patrick Poll - Should Rockets Select Yao Ming?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Click over to Dan Patrick's ESPN.com page to vote in the poll about the Rockets and Yao Ming.

You're the Rockets: Yao Ming with the first pick?

Yes, 7-5 centers don't come along often

No, too big a risk (pardon the pun)

http://espn.go.com/danpatrick/index.html

Chris

2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Dont be fooled by these numbers our competitors are also voting!

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was thinking the same thing

PUNKS!

Rocket River

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Exactly! They want us to fail! All the more reason why the strong Clutch City contingent should show their support for the team and vote for MING!!!

Chris

5. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

I'm not a competitor and I voted No. If you got out of the dark alleys of the internet once in a while, you'd see that not every Rocket fan wants this guy.

6. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

El Grande Queso-

You seem mad! Its ok bro, I am quite sure the Rockets Management knows what they are doing. Dont worry!

If Rudy & CD are excited about Yao, we all have the right to join the bandwagon. What is the problem? Do you want a trade? Do you want Butler? Let it out bro instead of making fun of the clutchcity.net crowd.

We are all on the same team, rooting for the Rockets & chatting about scenarios/ articles/etc.., and arguing/ debating here & there among the ranks in a civilized manner. Not talking down to folks.

7. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

Results make sense, if I was a Suns, Dallas, Utah, ect fan I would be voteing "NO" on the Rockets taking Ming. Why would they want the Rockets to get that much better then they are. They have all had to put up with Shaq, and now going to have to put up with Ming and have no chance to get another as good. They do need to be concerned.

8. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

....or maybe most people realize that Ming is not the type of players you all think (hope? dream?) he is. C'mon Lamar 8 & 12!

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm sure most people can come to a logical realization on that after watching footage of the guy for a minute and a half. :rolleyes:

This country is always about the underdogs, and unfortunately most fans outside of the Rockets will be rooting for this guy to fail. Ming's not the undersized guy that makes up for his lack of physical talent with heart. It's not to say that he doesn't have heart, but Ming is the consensus top pick because he's a 7'5 center with a ton of skills. It's not easy to cheer for Goliath-- the guy that's bigger and stronger than everyone. It may be if he's on your team, but if he's not, he's going to be the kind of guy teams love to hate.

#9 The Cat, Jun 18, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2002
  10. Eddie!Eddie!

Eddie!Eddie! Member

UT Baller, I am on the fence about drafting Yao(leaning towards, but understand the risks involved),but you have to understand how horrible our center play has been the last few years,that is why these guys are so sold on Ming. Most of us don't think he is Jordon, or Shaq, but he will be a top 5 center. And I cannot personally think of a team without Mr. Jordon on it that has won the title since I have been watching B'ball(80-81) without one. I won't be upset if we trade the pick, but it just makes too much since to keep it.

Guys in all seriousness, alot of people think Ming is gonna be a bust. Now granted they are just fans and haven't seen him play but on the Chicago clips, but then neither have some of us(including myself). So I don't think most of them are Haters from other teams as much as they just here what people like Patrick and others say, and jump aboard. But in all honesty, I would probably have voted no if I hadn't heard alot of you guys talking about seeing videio of him,scouting reports,etc..

And if I wasn't a Rocket Fan;)

11. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

i personally don't think we really need a big man that bad or a new center that bad. in a couple years when griff bulks up he'll be able to bang down low with almost anyone else in the league. there really aren't any true centers in the league except for shaq and thats why hes able to dominate so much. i dont think we should waist a number one pick on an unproven player and someone who can't even play down low. i would much rather trade with the clips for odom and one of their picks. then we can draft borchardt, hilario, or stoudemire to help at C. with the 15 we can get another SF or a SG to back mobley up. if we draft ming and he doesn't dominate or is atleast an all star(not sayin much) then we've waisted the pick and a chance to be a really good and deep team. anyway i guess i hope Rudy and CD know what theyre talkin about and he does turn out to be good or they'll get a lot of **** because of it.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So in a couple of yrs Griffin will be able to bang but Ming not? Ming is more skillful and stronger than Griffin right now, but yet Griffin will get stronger quicker and go from been basically Raef LaFrentz to a young bruiser like mailman. If you don't like the guy cool, but don't say that Eddie will progress faster for the sake of not taking the guy. If anyone else besides the Lakers had the number 1 pick, they would take ming. That should tell you something there.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You guys can't seriously think that the only reason people from outside of Houston voted no was because they want us to suck. I doubt that sports fans outside of Houston saw that and said to themselves, "No, I don't want Houston to succeed, I'm voting for too big a risk." I love the Rockets, but I don't think non fans really care what happens this team.

14. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

So in a couple of yrs Griffin will be able to bang but Ming not? Ming is more skillful and stronger than Griffin right now, but yet Griffin will get stronger quicker and go from been basically Raef LaFrentz to a young bruiser like mailman. If you don't like the guy cool, but don't say that Eddie will progress faster for the sake of not taking the guy. If anyone else besides the Lakers had the number 1 pick, they would take ming. That should tell you something there.

dude ur puttin words in my mouth. i never said ming couldnt get stronger or better than griffin and i never said griffin would be the next karl malone. my point is we don't know how good or bad he could get. i hear lots of peeps sayin our front court is terrible which it was last year but i think after griffin gains some wight and experience he'll be able to get his share of boards. o ya theres teams like the clips that would prolly take jwill over ming so it doesnt tell me too much.

15. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

Eddie- I hate it when others do it so sorry but......The guy's name is Jordan not Jordon

The Cat- He is not stronger than everyone! If he were then he would be in the post and nobody would have a problem with him. I am just really worried about a guy that stayed on the perimeter in the freaking Chinese League and now y'all are talking the guy up like he is George freakin Mikan.

16. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

We know where you stand. You and watchman77 (same person???) are the 2 main people on this BBS against Ming and 99% of the messages against Ming. You are the very, very vocal very minor minority.

I will laugh my butt off (at you) when we pick him and he does well.

If he doesn't do well, I guess its you who will do the laughing.

17. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Hehe. I disagree. NY wants Ming by any means - and they outnumber us and hate us for stomping them in the finals(NY press has made this clear) . Shaq fans hate us for handing him a sweep. Phoenix fans hate us for the kiss of death. Portland fans hate us for giving them Quitten. Grizz fans hate us because we took Franchise. They have long memories :)

We will irritate them all even more by taking Ming.

18. droxford

droxford Member

I voted no.

IMHO, the Rockets, in time, might be able to build up Ming's body a little better, but I don't think he has the right mindset to succeed in the physical game the U.S. plays. (Since it looks like we're gonna draft Ming, I would like very much to be wrong about him).

I think we should get the best PF or SF coming out of a U.S. college, or trade it for a sweet deal (such as, Clippers: Odom and their two picks).

-- droxford

19. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

Hakeem was good because he was finess and power, this Yao guy may have some delicate moves and lots of jumpshots, but jumpshots and girl arms isn't going to do anything but a tall chinese man on the floor with a black eye and a bloody lip, I don't even think they call a foul on Shaq for that :p

LETS GET LAMAR, CURRY, AND THE 8 and 12... who knows

lets not shy away from using the actual currency of this pick, drafting this guy may really upset the chemistry on this team.

20. watchmen77

watchmen77 Member

just say no to ming.
    who needs a true center? shaq will be out of league in 3 years and by then, a good team with odem plus even cato will be able to dominate the west.

JUST SAY NO TO MING!