1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Can the Rockets win it all?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Mar 16, 2014.

?

Do we have what it takes to win it all?

1. Yes

46.5%
  2. No

53.5%
  1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

IMHO of course the Rockets can win it all. I rate the Rockets behind OKC, LAC and MIA and ahead of everyone else. Well ahead. And everyone is behind the team that has LBJ. Howard and Harden have been there before. Bev and Parsons are rocks. Asik is not going to be intimidated by anything. The rest of the roster is where things could get dicey. Overall chance for the chip? 11%.

And well said torocan.

2. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

The games slow down in the playoffs, and you can't underestimate the advantage having 2 elite defensive bigs to protect the paint.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Absolutely right good sir. The Rockets main strength against the competition. The value of paint protection in the NBA cannot be overestimated. And the Rockets currently have 48 minutes of paint protection.

4. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Thunder and the Clippers

5. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

Nope. Mchale

6. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

Umm... the Clips with CP3 and this new Blake Griffin/DeAndre Jordanvare nearly unstoppable.
    Plus with their recent acquistion of Granger, Davis they got tougher and deeper on the bench. Deep team, tough D, amazing offensive aka Lob City, and a very good coach thats knows how to win a ring. When you earn yourself a ring you get respect and until McHale can toughen his team by pushing them to the limit and not just going, "defense up! passing up!" and actually talking about oppossing teams and their weaknesses during games and what works i dont see a deep run. ill be happy if they can get to the 2nd round this year.

7. kevtse

kevtse Member

Playoff = less fast break and calls = No win it all

8. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

It's possible, but only with a heaping spoonful of luck on our side. If Warriors upset the Clippers and Grizzlies upset OKC. I think our chances are relatively good vs. everyone else in the picture.

Just like it was the Spurs fortune that Beverley took out Russell Westbrook for them, otherwise the Thunder would have easily beat the Spurs in a series, and made it to the NBA finals.

9. FeaR

FeaR Member

Rockets can't win it all this year, maybe the next.

10. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

QUOTABLE II: "We were getting beat in transition; too many transition points early gave them a comfort zone. They got hot early and were tough to turn off." -- Scott Brooks
    vs
    ''We did not come out ready to play,'' Rockets coach Kevin McHale said. ''I have no idea why. You have to ask them. We did not offensively or defensively start the game. We were walking it up, not running.''
    translation..i dont know im scared to ask Howard and Harden what they were up to last night... can you do it for me?

1 person likes this.
  11. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I agree

12. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

My second agreement

13. Play07

Play07 Member

yes we have a chance, but everyone is going to have step up...

Howard - no bs if shot not falling set good picks don't just go through the motions

Parsons- shot has to fall and play tuff D

Harden - hit his average

Lin- believe it or not this is the X factor, playing Lin 15 mins won't cut it, gotta find a way to play this guy 30mins

----------

people put blame on Mchale but understand we don't have PICK & POP PF, jones and dmo are ok but screens only go so far if the guy setting them are not a threat to hit a jumper, every playoff team has to have a 3 shooter or pick & pop PF to win... Mchale would be able to do wayyyy more with an offense if he had this, morey spent it all on Howard

1 person likes this.
  14. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Can we win it all? Absolutely.

Will we win it all?

Things have to line up just right for that to happen. If we only have to face one of the Clippers/OKC; if Harden locks in on defense; if Dwight is feeling it on offense; if Chandler's shot is falling and he isn't trying to do too much; if Lin is playing on his ceiling instead of his floor; if Beverley is an in-control pest... It's not that just one of those things has to happen. Most of them have to be happening, and it has to last for the entire playoff run. That is a lot to ask.

15. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Not as this team is currently composed, no. I like your optimism Izak, but as I said in my "this team has to lose" thread this group isn't strong enough mentally and doesn't have the experience yet to overcome the challenge of when opposing teams lock in and take away their first and second options. It takes a certain discipline to remain mentally locked in and composed when shots aren't falling and finding another way to win. They do it sometimes, but not consistently enough to do so all the way to the finals.

I think they'll get there though....no team just has that factor naturally. It takes time and failure to nurture that quality.

16. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Same can be said for 20 other teams. Your shots aren't going to fall for the 16 playoff games required to win it all. Decent defense isn't going to stop the Spurs offense or the Clippers pick and roll. Then there's that other #35 guy from OKC. I think we are 1 all star wing or power forward away.

17. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I like this quote and thinks this is exactly spot on with the Rockets in the West. Hopefully they can get Portland in the first round and maybe upset or go 7 games with one of the the big three in the West in the next round. After that either win and get swept in the WCF or lose and start looking at players to help rebuild.

18. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Matchups, Matchups, Matchups.
    That is the key.

If our opponents end up being, Portland, San Antonio, and Golden State, we can definitely win the West.

19. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Hate to say it, but realistically no. I now believe Oklahoma City will be standing at the end.
    I think what ever we do, it should be geared towards over coming the Durant/Westbrook combo, no small feat.

That looks like an upgrade at the point guard.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Rox have the ability to win it all which is why I voted "Yes" but I think it is unlikely they will this year.

As other posters have noted it is going to take a lot of luck and the Rox to really step it up for this to happen. It could but I would recommend making a Houston Rockets 2014 Championship banner.