1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN calls Mings performance disappointing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCity2003, Aug 29, 2002.

Tags:
  1. ClutchCity2003

I personally didnt think it was that bad.
    Heres the link

Yao

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

ESPN is more of a disappointment by pandering to the evil Disney empire. Oh wait, ESPN is owned by Disney- my bad!

3. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I think ESPN is dumb, they arent the most relibale source on earth!

4. prlen

prlen Member

u r dumb!!!

5. lovethisgametoo

Yao ming did not play very well this evening and the main reason was foul trouble.

Obviously he still very young, and needs better coaching and training, which Houton will provide.

6. fwang

fwang Member

This is a news article (some one please provide a link). Yao said before the China vs. Germany Game that he and his team were prepared to foul out in order to stop Dirk. So, it is not surprising that both Yao and Bateer got a lot of foul calls. What is disappointing is that Yao got 2 foul calls in the first two minutes which really limited his court time. And yet, the Chinese Team still could not contain Dirk. You have to agree that Dirk is super. BTW, Bateer did quite well tonight.

7. prlen

prlen Member

mismatch!

#7 prlen, Aug 29, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2002
  8. ron413

If the ref's were smart they would give the fans what they want and never ever call a foul on him. People want to see Yao on the basketball court doing his thing as much as possible, not on the bench just sitting there doing nothing. Am I right or am I right?

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Bad spelling!

Trolls aside ESPN isn't ever going to give Ming praise so I say why bother. When they're touting Kandi as a better center you know there's something bad being past around down there!

10. fwang

fwang Member

These referees came from all over the world. They are not as "corrupted" as NBA referees. What is clear to me is that the Chinese NT coach planned to use the foul as a way to contain Dirk. It simply did not work. Dirk is a very versatile player. He plays both in and out. Yao also got into the foul trouble too early. This is not his fine moment. One can always argue that the Chinese guards/PWs suck and Chinese Centers (Yao or Bateer) can not get help from them.

11. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Excuse me? who in the world are you newbie? I know you werent just talking to me!?!

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It sounds more to me like bad coaching.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I figured it out. That's right, I know what happened. I will tell you all why ESPN said Ming had a dissapointing game. The reason is. . . he had a dissapointing game. Damn you guys, these things happen to the best of players, quit crying and making excuses. If this set back has you guys acting this way, how in the hell a you going to make it through the regular season where Yao is bound to have his fair share of bad games?

14. prlen

prlen Member

nice post

15. cwww

cwww Member

I agree with that. How could they not playing like a team after so many months playing together? ONLY 4 ASSISTS with 22 TOs???:mad:

It must be bad coaching...:(

Anyway, it's a fact that Ming did not play well defensively tonight... but did well offensively with 16 pts in only 18 minutes.

16. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

While ESPN isn't always consistent with their news and opinions, the article is AP.

17. almostReady

almostReady Member

Yes I read that article too which quoted Yao saying if necessary they would use foul to stop Dirk.

So I think Yao's foul trouble today was partly because of the strategy, partly because Dirk is really good.

18. ClutchCity2003

How was his game disappointing...He averaged almost a point a minute, 5 boards, shot 5-8 from the field and 6-7 from the line, had a block and only oine turnover. I think it could be considered average but not disappointing. Its not like he shot poorly or commited a lot of turnovers.

19. ron413

Ming's performance tonight was not disappointing. Sure it was not as great as his strong showing against USA.

Things that are disappointing are :

1) The strike date even being set in the first place in Major League Baseball so we can watch the Millionaires fight it out with the Billionaires in a selfish power struggle.

2)some CEO's & VP's that get off with a small slap on the wrist when they obviously should be in handcuffs for their criminal trangressions.

..The list can go on and on concerning things in this world that are really disappointing. If writers are going to attach adjectives like this to all of Yao's efforts (good or bad), then it is going to be a long season. Give the guy a break and just report his numbers and analysis of the game action, not some opinion to sway your article to such an extreme.

-ESPN should not use opinions on Ming's performance as a disappointment. It was not disappointing to me, was it to anyone else here? Just because he got in foul trouble, plays with teammates that do not allow him to showcase his talents, and has below average coaching......You know what I mean! I say he had an excellent game :)

#19 ron413, Aug 29, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2002
  20. fwang

fwang Member

Because he is No. 1 pick and because he came with "SO MUCH HYPE AND EXPECTATIONS", his performance is disappointing. But that is OK. He will learn it and we fans will have to live up with it. We hope that he will improve in the next game.