1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Buster Olney] Pettitte will return to the Yankees

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

do it timmy,

zito time.

2. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I'd rather spend the money to improve our pen.

Andy pitched extremely well second half of the season but was still only one game over 500 with above 4 ERA. Nothing great..

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

You think Wandy is better

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

this whole "wouldnt take the option thing" brings back memories of the infamous beltran no trade clause

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Astros suck. I'm a Yankees fan now.

6. NJRocket

purp aint calling boras

7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Just because other teams are being stupid doesn't mean the Astros should be. Gil Meche, incidentally, is a better pitcher than Andy Pettitte at this point. For $14 million I don't want players who have long-term elbow issues and don't know if they even want to pitch anymore. He gave the Astros 1 and 1/2 seasons of decent pitching. Time to move on.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

they made a value. they drew a line in the sand. they said andy isn't worth more than $12 million/year. we'll see if that's right or not this season.

as they were saying a bit on the radio this morning...i get the impression there developed some bad blood between andy and the organization in the midst of all of this.

9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

The Astros NOT over paying for talent is what has kept them a winner for the last ten years. Just because some other teams over pay doesn't mean we should. You're examples are the Cubs and Royals. Are those the kind of teams that you want the Astros to emulate? Eh, not me.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

^^ Did they not overpay for Carlos Lee?

11. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Pettitte is a pos. It's all about money. I hope we can get Garland and Suppan.

12. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I've already stated in this thread that I am not a big fan of that contract.

13. NJRocket

a good part of the value that Andy brought to the 2006 Astros was the distinct possibility that Clemens would pitch too....THAT in itself is worth the 14 million even if AP isnt.

14. Buck Turgidson

If by "infamous" you mean "completely ****ing ficticious", then I agree.

And given their track record, I wouldn't believe a word coming out of the Hendricks' mouths just yet.

This kinda sucks, but it's not the end of the world depending on what else happens.

15. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Drayton can't afford to bump it up to 14 from 12 because Timmy is eating away the budget

16. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

I can't imagine Purpura being that adamant about the option year or two mil more than their original offer unless he had some deals up his sleave. Drayton knows damn well he can't go into next season with Oswalt and Backe and uh....yeah. Either the Garland deal gets done or he picks up the phone and calls Boris and we talk Zito. Hell, if they had room to fit in Pettite and Clemens they should have room for Garland and Zito, ha!

17. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Back is done for 2007. We need Suppan and Garland

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As long as he didn't go to the Cardinals... the Astros will be ok.

They now need to commit the $14 million that they could have had slated for him to other players that can help the team next year.

Also, I hope Pettite does well in the Bronx... the Yankees could use some october magic again... but it wouldn't suprise me if he has a Randy Johnson-like season for them.

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Fresh take. Could you kindly invest in a 12 gauge and do some target practice on your face? Thanks.

20. Buck Turgidson

I think you're completely correct here.

As to how this affects Clemens, I don't know, and frankly don't really care. Both of their acts, and that of their agents, has become beyond tiresome.