1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Brown Pistons on 5 yr $25 mil deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Uprising, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I am not sure about how good this article is. I mean, the truth in it. I don't like the sound of it I wish we could have gotten Brown, though if it's over now. I think we should go for Dunleavy now, who appears to be automatic to come to houston.

Brown, Pistons reportedly have 5-year, $25 million deal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

DETROIT -- Larry Brown will be introduced as the coach of the Detroit Pistons at a news conference Monday, a source within the league said.

Brown reached an agreement on a long-term deal to succeed fired coach Rick Carlisle, the source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press on Saturday.

Pistons spokesman Kevin Grigg said Sunday he could not confirm a news conference would be held.

Meanwhile, the Philadelphia Inquirer also is reporting the deal, citing unnamed sources who confirmed that Brown, 62, agreed to a five-year, $25 million contract with Detroit, the same team he lost to in the playoffs two weeks ago. The AP is reporting the same contract terms.

"As I've said before, the team that hires me will be the one to make the announcement," Brown told the Inquirer. "I won't do it. I'm not confirming nor denying anything. That's the way it has to be."

ESPN reported Saturday that Brown had not made a decision yet at that time, and that he was expected to choose between Detroit and Houston within the next 72 hours.

Brown did not immediately return a phone message left Sunday at his home by The Associated Press. But Carlisle spoke about the developments.

"Larry Brown is obviously a great coach and his record speaks for itself,'' Carlisle said Sunday. "That's a great hire.''

Carlisle was asked if he thought Brown was hired before he was fired.

"I'm not going to get into that,'' Carlisle said.

Pistons spokesman Kevin Grigg said Sunday he could not confirm a news conference would be held.

Article

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

All the coaching rumors and gossip is starting to remind me of the hunt for Iraqi WMD. I just can't understand Brown wanting to go to Detroit...maybe its nicer than i've heard, but I thought alot of this revolved around his family and where they wanted to live. If it is Detroit I guess he feels like the Pistons offer a quicker trip to the finals than the Rockets, certainly we've offered more than 5 mill per year in salary (thats more of a question than a statement). I guess that #2 pick is more than the Pistons could have ever wished for...the best coach and Mello.

3. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

They're not drafting Anthony.

Detroit actually plays outside of downtown in one of the richest areas in the United States.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I know the contract has incentives, but they would have to be really nice incentives. $25 mil for 5 years is a good offer...for Silas, maybe. For Brown? Doesn't seem even close.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I guess they are drafting Darko without a doubt...

I've never been to Detroit what's the scene besides the fact they play in a rich area of town?

6. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Downtown Detroit is a bit of a cesspool, but all the suburbs and other areas are very nice. You've got lakes, you've got cosmopolitan stuff, you've got urban stuff, it's pretty diverse. You can drive under the lake and visit Canada, you can drive a couple hours and hang out with Mohammed Ali (he lives in Michigan). It's not a bad place.