1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Breaking down the Wild West

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CheezeyBoy22, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is also Rockets related. Same article. Also just about as funny as our biggest weakness being "everyone else"

In reference to the Spurs. Obviously. But we gave them Dennis Lindsey. That was the behind closed doors part of the deal.

2. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

The jazz don't play superior defense and the suns have been a shell of the former selves defensively.

3. bbjai

bbjai Member

Im not convinced we can hold forwards like West, Boozer and Amare for a whole series let alone two. Landry picked up three fouls and Scola had heaps of trouble keeping up. We need Yao for these type of matchups I think. Thats where his valuable on the defensive end. Not only that he puts their centre in foul trouble usually as well. Its important over a 7 game series.

4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

San Antonio would probably win, as much as the homer inside me wants to say otherwise... but it would absolutely NOT be a thrashing. Probably a six game series or so.

Terrible analysis, though. Not only do the Spurs not play better "team defense" than us anymore, but the Suns size is not that impressive against us so long as our big men manage to control their active hands and not pick up too many fouls (and the refs don't suck).

5. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I LOVE us being the underdog, and for our players to be told they CAN'T do it ... just makes it all the sweeter.

The good thing about losing a few, is that we no longer have that target on our back. Now, next year, with Yao back ... let 'em take aim. Hopefully, we'll do something in the playoffs that makes them want to ... ;)

Who knows ... I'm just going on the ride ... :)

6. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

i Just ignore people that don't even watch the games and know anything about us...good riddance

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They do in the playoffs. Those guys have to remind everyone every single year I guess.

8. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

i'll take Utah over anyone else.

9. kwng

kwng Member

We'll not be thrashed by SAS. We'll fight like a hero and though we may go down in 7 series .. and that is a BIG THOUGH .. we will not give up and fight to the end. I believed we may even upset the SAS.

10. Cjjr72984

Cjjr72984 Member

Hornets or Spurs are the most dangerous teams in the first round.

11. lalala902102001

Even by ESPN standard, Page 2 stuff should not be considered serious analysis.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think duncan is at his limit. this playoffs will be hard on him. tons of mileage. we will see though.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Yao couldn't cover any of those PF. Look at boozer last year, but on the offensive no one can really can cover him 1 on 1.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

Bring on the Spurs, they are beatable in seven. Not just bravado, I actually believe the Rockets could beat them in a seven game series.

15. jajayao

jajayao Member

I honestly dont see how people think we don't match up well against the Jazz, Hornets, Mavericks. Jazz has size, but they don't play in the post as much as the Spurs/Suns, and Deron for some reason sucks against us. Hornets, their lack of depth is going to be problems for them in the playoffs, unless of course Bonzi plays every game like he did against us last time. Mavericks, Kidd & the Mavs are a long way from gelling, as of late Dirk playing like a 3rd-tier PF.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

it's simmons so it's not serious, but "it's amazing how much the rockets don't miss yao ming" makes absolutely no sense. does he mean "didn't miss yao ming during the streak" , because the only reason we're dismissed from being a contender is because yao is out.

and the 08 rockets streak won't look so out of place when the 09 rockets win a championship.

17. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

You guys and gals are way too sensitive, he gave us a fair amount of credit and even though we had success against them, they are the Champions. Its not an absolute stretch that we will be thrashed by them and we could absolutely beat them.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I know!!

If you look at the 'Strength of Schedule' stats, we have had one of the toughest schedules in the entire league so far this season!

Just because we finally get 3 easy games to close out the streak, everyone talks about how easy our schedule has been :rolleyes:

19. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Here's more from those jokers from ESPN (The Mag):
    HTML:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3310778
    Every team, they say, has a chance againt the Rockets. In the Would Rather See/Would Rather Avoid categories, the my Rockets don't get any respect, they are not feared (exception: Warriors, because we're not even mentioned). WT he//? I know we don't have the "best record" for 1st round triumphs, but for us to be in the top 4 position in the West, without our regular starting center, and we're still winning, why does everyone think we're done already?

I hope my Rockets take this to heart, and get the chance to squash a much more hyped team (PHX). How about Clutch City 3?!

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Who cares who the Rockets play, bring em on.....

I don't think we would be favored in almost any series, but I like our chances against everyone.

DD