1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Ausmus agrees to $7.5 million, 2-year deal with Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by yc324, Dec 13, 2005.

1. yc324

yc324 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2257977

HOUSTON -- Houston Astros catcher Brad Ausmus agreed Tuesday to a $7.5 million, two-year contract that will keep him with the NL champions.

The 36-year-old batted .258 with three homers and 47 RBI in 134 games for Houston during the regular season and hit a tying two-out, ninth-inning homer in Game 4 of the first-round series against Atlanta, a game the Astros won in a postseason-record 18 innings to move on to the NL championship series.

He became a free agent after the Astros were swept by the Chicago White Sox in the World Series and was offered salary arbitration by Houston last week, extending the Astros' negotiating period through Jan. 8.

"I think he's a key member of our team," said Astros general manager Tim Purpura. "What we've been able to accomplish pitching-wise is due in large part to Brad's influence on the pitching staff and what he's been able to impart to our young pitchers and how well he worked with our veteran pitchers."

Ausmus has played seven seasons for Houston, after spending 1997-98 with the club and returning in 2001. He won the Gold Gloves in 2001 and 2002 -- the only ones won by Astros players.

A 13-year veteran, Ausmus has also played with San Diego and Detroit. He has 71 career homers and 508 RBI.

Purpura said Ausmus spends so much time studying and preparing for games that he is almost like another coach.

"He really takes on that type of role," he said. "He goes through scouting reports and all the statistical information like a college professor going through an exam. He really puts a lot of time into it."

One question raised with the re-signing of Ausmus is whether it will help get Roger Clemens back for another season with the Astros.

Houston declined to offer salary arbitration to the seven-time Cy Young winner last week, meaning he can't re-sign with the team before May 1.

"I don't know if it helps," Purpura said. "But I certainly don't think it hurts, because he's got a stable commodity there behind the plate, someone who he works with extremely well."

2. jeff from vandy

jeff from vandy Contributing Member

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

*ker-plunk*

Is that lysol I smell?

4. coma

coma Contributing Member

IMO, outside of the household names, Ausmus is one of the most integral pieces to our team.

5. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Before anyone rags on Ausmus and complains about his hitting or makes sarcastic "weeee" comments (ooops, too late), keep in mind that in July, August and September, he hit .298 with an OBP of .380+.

In addition, of all the number 8 hitters with at least 200 at bats, Brad led them in average and on base percentage.

He did not perform as badly offensively as some seem to argue.

In addition, regardless of whatever any fans say, the pitchers and coaches love him.

7. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Not to mention that everyone's wife/gf loves him too.

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I agree bobrek. If Clemens doesn't come back, we're be screwed without him.

9. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good move. Glad to see Ausmus back.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Don't forget sisters and daughters.

This is what I went through this summer: "Hey, I want to go to the game!!!" "Is Ausmus playing, is Backe pitching?"

11. weakfromtoday

Supporting Member

A lil off topic, but my mom is the same way, but with Biggio. I've literally heard her to tell my dad to stop talking, because Biggio was at the plate. Gotta love it when your mom is almost as big an Astros fan as you are.

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Not to mention if we didn't sign him who else could we have gotten. Its either somehow get bengie molina or be forced to rely on ugh.. raul chavez or humerto quintero neither of which can hit or call games the way ausmus does.

A good move by Purpura to bring him back, now find a way to get some new offense.

13. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :eek:

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

good to see him back. i'm relieved. had he signed elsewhere, we'd have been left with a big hole to fill.

15. weakfromtoday

Supporting Member

Seriously? Why?

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

We've got to upgrade the SS position now. Need a stick

17. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

PHEW!

Now all we need to do is re-sign Vizcaino and we're set!

18. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Good to get that out of the way. Wasnt much of catchers in the FA market so good move.

19. NickC19

NickC19 Member

Brad Ausmus is a beast. I'm predicting he bulks back up, starts utilizing some of his untapped power, and knocks out no less than 47 homers this year. Mark my words people.
    [​IMG]

20. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Ausmus' offense is the icing and his looks, for those who care about that, is the frosting decoration on the cake. He's possibly one of the best if not the best catcher when it comes to D, calling a game and working with pitchers. One of the things that Clemens cited for unretiring was Brad Ausmus and just look at Houston's record of developing pitching talent since he's been here.

Ausmus could bat below .200 and look like George Costanza and Janet Reno's love child and still be valuable to the Stros.