1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN: Astros looking at Aurilia

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Rich Aurilia
    Padres

Angels
    Astros
    Reds
    White Sox
    Rangers

Jan. 17 - Rich Aurilia, who hit six home runs and had a .314 on-base percentage in 399 at-bats with Seattle and San Diego last year, is finding it hard to land a job, Insider's Jerry Crasnick reports. Aurilia had hoped to get a starting shortstop position, but it appears he might have to take a deal as a utility player.
    The Angels, who have rookie Dallas McPherson at third base and Chone Figgins at second, could be one of Aurilia's better options.It also remains to be seen what the Reds will do now that shortstop Anderson Machado has suffered a knee injury playing winter ball in Venezuela. Texas needs bench help, and the Astros have yet to determine if they want to play rookie Chris Burke at second, shift Craig Biggio back to the infield or go in a different direction.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What? Astros seemed pretty definite on Burke (or swapping for Soriano if pitching demands get lowered).

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Please no. Aurilia had a couple good years with the protection of Bonds in SF. The Astros already have Viz and Lamb. They do not need Aurilia.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I don't think he'd be terrible. He's not a necessity, I agree...I'd rather see burke or bidge at 2nd. But say Burke/Backe go for Sheets. Then we sign Aurilia for 2B and have Biggio in the OF until Berkman gets back, at which point Bidge is super utility man. Seem like a good scenario?

I'd surely take that. Don't say no before you know the why.. not that I know, but there are possibilities

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

utility infielder is the least of our concerns. waste of money. Burke starts. Biggio is backup. this is pure junk and filler.

6. leroy

I'm not sure where you people got it that Ben Sheets is going to be traded. Why exactly would the Brewers trade the young face of their up and coming organization? They have a new owner who is willing to spend a few bucks. Sheets is going no where. Especially not to a division rival.

7. kaleidosky

Yeah, it doesn't seem likely. But unlikely things have happened. The rumor is out there (and not started by this board), so I'm guessing someone's thrown his name around the league a little..

8. leroy

All that has been said (outside of this board) is that there is the slightest possibility that the Brewers would even begin to think about thinking about trading Sheets sometime around the trade deadline. They are fighting for respectability in MLB and in their own city. Why trade your #1 pitcher and the current face of your organization? What could they possibly get back that would help them? It's not like when they traded Richie Sexson. He was replaceable. They have what might end up being the best infield in baseball. They need to build around Sheets, not jettison him for what will not be equal returns. Stranger things have happened, but this isn't going to be one of them.

9. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Aurilia would be right in lin with what Drayton and Tim's game plan has been all along... Increase the average age of the team while decreasing the production. welcome to Houston Richie!

10. kaleidosky

I agree, it's not likely. My main point was that, you don't know what could happen...so there could be a rhyme and reason to this Aurilia business. Just pointing out one possibility of how it could make sense

11. Buck Turgidson

I hope that in retrospect, even you can recognize the complete ridiculousness of this statement.

12. NJRocket

yeah....i guess it would make more sense to say decrease both...my bad

13. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Who else likes this idea? I would love to see Biggio back at second base. He has NO arm or range but I think that benefits his at second. In a perfect world, we could have Biggio hit second, and Tavares would be ready to start in Center and lead off.

Tavares isn't ready though is he?

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

No, but Chris Burke is. He should be starting at 2B. Only way I'd start Biggio at 2B is if Burke was moved back over to SS, where he played in college (I think). Don't waste a major league-ready prospect by leaving him on the bench (like they've done with Lane). You have to give Burke a chance to play, otherwise why did you draft him with your #1 pick a few years ago?

15. kaleidosky

Well the ideal situation based on all this is to start Burke at 2nd and Biggio in the OF while Berkman recovers. If Burke proves he can handle it--at least decently (can't expect the world of a rookie)--then keep him there and let Bidge super-sub. If not, when Berkman returns, give Biggio the spot and give Burke a lot of spot-starts, moving Biggio around some.

Last thing I want to do is move Everett out of the lineup...he really showed a lot last year the last few weeks before the injury, and should continue to imrpove. An ideal 2-spot hitter I think.

16. Buck Turgidson

Story is, Hun felt like the scouting guys sold him a bill of goods. He was told the kid would be a solid MLB SS. After a couple of years in the minors, it was clear to all that he just doesn't have the arm to play there. Hun stated privately that there's no way he drafts Burke that high if he knew he'd be a 2B.

Purp views the younger guys like Burke & Lane in a much more favorable light than Hun did. Hope he's right.

Biggio/Lane/??? in the OF until Berkman comes back, then reevaluate. I don't see Biggio playing 2B much this year, not sure his body can take it.

17. NJRocket

I think he would be much better suited for the 8 hole...the 2 hitter really is a major cog in the offense, which Everett is certainly not unless his bat drastically improves

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

That wouldn't shock me. The Stros farm system is regarded as one of the weakest in baseball these days, when it was one of the strongest 4 or 5 years ago. The good high draft picks, the late-round finds, the Venezualan academy, they all pretty much dried up. I still think that Burke will be a solid offensive contributor at the 1 or 2 spot.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

20. Buck Turgidson

Not really dried up, somuch. Upper levels are tapped out, that's what happens when you have as many high-level prospects hit the majors in that same 4-5 year span. They've done a great job replenishing the system the past couple of drafts. Rookie level and A-ball is ridiculously stocked with pitching, some of that should get tested in AA this year. That's one of Gerry's & Purp's strategies: since there's such a premium on young arms, draft the hell out of 'em, and then you have ammo to later fill the holes in the organization, position player wise. Most of these guys are 2 years or so away, but there are some definite potential contributors in AA/AAA, especially bullpen guys that we could see in the summer (ala Qualls last year).

Not sure where everyone is going to shake out this year, between Corpus and the A-ball teams. Should be fun to watch, can't wait to head down the coast for a few days of fishing and baseball. RR will definitely have some talent as well.

I hope so. Depends on which Burke shows up: the punch & judy slap hitter he was in RR, or the aggressive line drive gap hitter he was in AAA.