1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Astros have a major perception problem

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Fantasma Negro, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All that has been said was an independent physician (who didn't evaluate Aiken, but is more than qualified to speak about UCL's) who said that the increased risk of injury with a small UCL is unknown, and whether or not its more difficult to repair it is also unknown.

So basically, they don't know.... and didn't want to stick with the original agreement to try and find out.

And the only way we ultimately will "know" is if Aiken eventually gets hurt... which is what the Astros now have to be rooting for.

2. Buck Turgidson

MLB wants it, the PA doesn't. PA is using this as a bargaining chip and will get some other concession in the next CBA negotiation.

It's not that difficult to do: come up with a list of X number of agreed upon doctors around the country. Take the top ? number of players (top 300 prospects?), tell them they need to be examined by one of these physicians (MLB foots the bill) between X & Y dates and submit the results to MLB.

The NFL comes up with a list of the top prospects to invite to the combine, it wouldn't be too difficult for MLB to do the same.

3. Buck Turgidson

The precedent has already been set. See RA Dickey, Barret Loux, Matt Krook and countless others who have had their agreed upon offers reduced or rescinded completely because of failed physicals. This is just the most high-profile case because it involves a 1.1 and the current Astros FO.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I respect your opinion but I don't think anyone can say one way or the other how far Aiken will fall in this draft.

What I will say is that it was bad for both sides. Aiken is really in an odd situation, and most likely will not get as much as he turned down because of the smaller UCL and the fact the Astros very well could have 2 of the 3 first picks.

The Astros get bad press and have to wait another year to get a top pick from sucking in 2013.

I wish his UCL has been normal and signed.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I think the player's value was diminished by the uncertainty surrounding his ucl. The Astros still made what they thought was a fair offer. You agree to buy a house subject to inspection, this was basically the same thing. Let the teams get medical exams 1st and you never have this fiasco to begin with.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea I hear what you are saying.

Guess I just care a lot about the Astros screwing up their draft

And don't care so much about Aiken since I haven't been a lifetime Aiken family fan

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its also featuring an MRI result that raises questions as to the long-term (or short-term) impact of the finding. Dickey had NO UCL, Loux had a tear in his labrum along with inflammation in the UCL, and Krook also had a tear in his labrum.

The other teams also were not accused (or in the position to) lower their original offer in order to potentially sign an additional player (something you have to admit that while it wasn't their original intention, the Astros definitely let the Marshall camp in on their plans).

#87 Nick, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Except in this case, its like buying a house that was built slightly below the expected elevation (the small UCL), in an area that could potentially flood (the nature of pitching).

Still could be a great house that never floods... only time will tell.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

But from Aiken’s perspective, right or wrong, the Astros had proven to be cheap and dishonest; an organization that had gone out of its way to demonstrate that Aiken’s best interests were not at or near the top of their priorities.

In that light, when you consider this would be the organization tasked with developing and nurturing Aiken's career for the next 7-10 years, I think it’s hard to argue walking away from that environment was bad advice. Or, conversely, that sucking it up and taking $5MM because “$5MM!!!” would have been good advice. In fact - again, using Aiken's perspective - I think it shows an incredible degree of compassion from his agent; that cashing a commission check was not any more important than the long-term well-being of his client.

---
    What'll be absolutely fascinating is if Aiken maintains top of the draft status and the Astros hold two of the top four spots (as they currently do). Do they dare redraft this kid?

10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I still don't get how we can waste money on Scott Feldman but not on our draft pick... But the #2 pick is nice too.

11. Indaface

Indaface Member

[​IMG]

12. Hey Now!

Those two events have nothing in common. Putting aside health concerns, the Astros weren’t lowballing Aiken in order to pocket money; they were lowballing him to try and game the system by spreading allotted money to other draft picks; draft picks, incidentally, that were highly regarded but considered signing risks due to their financial demands. The intent was to spend money; they just didn't want to spend it all on Aiken.

13. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en data-scribe-reduced-action-queue="><p>FINALLY, for those of you who find it impossible to understand that there's another side to all this- <a href="http://t.co/s0BtkE9WQr">http://t.co/s0BtkE9WQr</a></p>&mdash; Gina Luhnow (@ginahagopian) <a href="https://twitter.com/ginahagopian/statuses/492024165830914049">July 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

was just about to post. It wont let me read unless a subscriber, Im assuming. Can you post please.

15. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn. I can access from my phone, but not from my computer? Here is the text, at least.

16. msn

msn Member

thanks for that SI article. good read.

17. Indaface

Indaface Member

Well considering the Astros have lost 100+ the past 3 years I think the team can safely also be considered the real loser as well.

18. Granville

Granville Member

Well according to Luhnow, we are a team on the rise.... We haven't risen from the worst team in baseball for 3 years but it looks like one or 2 teams will suck more than us this year. There's a team on the rise......

But let's keep to our plan of F the present and let's build through the farm teams while nickel and dime negotiations with draft picks blow up in Luhnow's face.

19. Hey Now!

They didn't nickel and dime draft picks - did you read the article? They were prepared to give a fifth rounder *five* times his slot value. There's nothing "nickel and dime" about that.

20. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I don't think they nickel and dimed Aiken; they only found out that his arm isn't healthy enough to justify such a large bonus for a 17 year old kid. Pre-draft physicals should be mandatory, IMO. Could you imagine if the NFLPA suddenly disallowed physicals at the combine?

Sad we didn't get Aiken, but I'm excited about the idea of getting 2 of the top-5 prospects next year. Draft 2 college kids and they likely see the bigs long before Aiken would had we drafted him...this isn't necessarily "F the present".