1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Astros have a major perception problem

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Fantasma Negro, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

onoes! Scott Kazmir!

Astros are looking at 2018 at the soonest. Not a single **** given.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Cubbies future >

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'll believe it when I see it. You've had too much Old Style.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Seems like when it comes to perceptions of players and in general around their individual leagues, all three major Houston teams have issues.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

And Jeff Luhnow came on, when? 2011? You're giving him that long right off the bat?

This isn't Daryl Morey we're talking about here. Luhnow has not crafted a core that has championship potential and simply disappointed come playoff time. This is an historically bad, bottom-feeding penny-pinching team that only breaches the boundaries of innovation when it comes to finding new excuses to peddle to its fans.

Think about that potential: the Astros might be picking first four years in a row. If we were a soccer team we would have been relegated twice and then finally contracted. We're all hanging our hats around two rookie "stars" that are each hitting less than .240.

Face it. The Astros are now a clown franchise run by a clown owner that has found a nice outlet through the guise of 'analytics' to justify why he can continue exploiting the revenue sharing system to further his own get-rich scheme. We have the baseball equivalent of Donald Sterling at the helm.

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

These are tough times to be a stros fan... It's weird because I don't think Luhnow is an idiot but he is really making me reconsider.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Baseball prospects take at least 2-3 years before they make an impact in the show. Luhnow's first draft was mid 2012, so it's downright illogical for people to complain about his drafting when his first wave of draft picks hasn't arrived yet.

The only player he inherited that had any real trade value was Bud Norris, so it isn't as if he's had a lot to deal with. He inherited a garbage team, he's not the one who built it.

And as for the Aiken situation the Astros decided the number 2 pick next year was a better option than damaged Aiken. The only way they wanted him is if they could get 3 prospects, otherwise he wasn't worth the risk, this had nothing to do with being cheap. I don't fully agree with the decision myself, but this consistent misrepresentation of the facts really ticks me off.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Another hatchet job article. I like how Kazmir not signing here was some how because of the perception of the Astros and not because the A's have been one of the best teams in all of baseball the last few seasons.

We are in the midst of an interesting experiment, and some fans are becoming restless (same thing happening in Chicago). Baseball isn't like basketball or football, it takes years to find out how good your team will be from a draft.

9. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

This.

Winning cures all. IMO, the Astros are turning the corner and once they start winning, all this bullsh!t will be forgotten.

10. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I think most informed Astros fans are hanging their hats on some combination of:

• Correa and Springer succeeding, achieving star status
    • A handful of guys from Singleton, Santana, Stassi, Tucker, DDJ, Kemp, Ruiz, Hernandez, Fisher, Reed, etc. becoming above average major league regulars
    • The power arms in the system (Folty, Appel, McCullers, Hader, Velasquez, Feliz, Thurman?) continuing to mature, some to find sustained big league success
    • Crane spending money once the team is competitive

11. Granville

Granville Member

This latest blunder isn't indicative of the Astros turning the corner. They have been "parked" in last place in all of baseball for 3 years and could be looking at a 4th. Even if you believe they were gaining momentum, the Astros blowing it on the last two 1.1 picks lengthens the time it takes to become a winner.

Tanking is an ugly way to build a team and it get's much uglier when you do it year after year. The Astros deserve heat at the very least for bungling the controversial course of action they chose to build the team.

12. Raven

Raven Member

The Astros suck, and it starts with their owner. Actions speak louder than words, and it's clear what his priority is, maximize profits by keeping cost (payroll) to a minimum.

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

So we're letting the Rangers out tank us? This sucks we lose again.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well when will that happen? They just lost a year of progress with this last draft.

15. Buck Turgidson

Don't be silly.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

So, just to be sure

If we finish with the worst record again this year, we pick first and second next year

If we don't sign either of those two picks, we would pick 2nd and 3rd in 2016? And, if we still have a really low payroll and finish last again, we would have the first three overall picks in 2016?

I'm just wondering how the rules work and if we can keep kicking the can down the road, until a really good first overall pick comes up that we can draft and pay?

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's possible for 2016 but I believe two years is the limit the pick can be carried.

18. Raven

Raven Member

Well said, and boycotting won't help change things, because they consider any tickets sold to be gravy. It's an economic system which rewards a team for not trying to compete. I haven't even watched a game this year, because the writing is on the wall. They simply aren't going to be a competitive team until they get a new owner, and that is that.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Silly? It's a fact. They essentially didn't get the best prospect hey could and now have to wait a year to get another crack at it. They lost. Big time. It was a set back.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So when they are competitive and winning you still won't be a fan. OK whatever. Ownership isn't going anywhere and it is easy to bash a team rebuilding. Go bash the 76ers while you are at it.

They didn't waste a year. Current prospects have another year under their belt and we didn't lose a draft pick.

1 person likes this.