1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Asik unhappy, may force trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jul 5, 2013.

1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I believe Doc on this one -- and it isn't even cryptic--just the straight dope. Omer is a professional...perhaps even an advanced experimental Turkish android prototype (that sweats too much and has defective hands...BUT NO OTHER FLAWS).

I don't see Omer getting this info to reporters so quick (¿minutes?!) after Dwight's decision started leaking out -- as if he was watching on clutchfans just as crazily as all of us and had the number to a reporter on speed dial waiting to press send as soon as the news came out -- no, there's no way.

No, this is coming from other teams who want Asik.

So Omer, we love you, every NBA team loves you -- don't sweat this Howard stuff...pun intended.

2. rocketblood713

Asik sounds like hes been holding this in lol

3. Chamillionaire

A-freakin-men. That's not how we roll.

4. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

[​IMG]

5. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Says the guy who thinks Lin would put down 25/12 every night on a crappy team.

6. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

OP is also to blame for this one. Thread titles like these just add to the negative speculation. Would have been better to write a title that didn't further exaggerate a potentially BS report.

1 person likes this.
  7. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Of course Asik wouldn't want to play as Dwight's backup. He's already proven himself to be a top defensive center in this league. You can certainly make a case that he's one of the best 5s in the league period right now - who's better? Howard, Gasol, Noah, Hibbert, maybe Chandler/Lopez. That's it. Asik's already played under Noah for years. It absolutely makes sense for him to want to play in a place where he can put the full extent of his abilities on display (plus he's still improving).

However, this talk about how he "could force [a] trade" is all just conjecture and speculation. That's very out of character for Omer. I would bet if Morey doesn't move him, Omer will suit up and come off the bench without complaint. He's not one to throw a tantrum, unlike the guy we just got.

All this talk about an Asik for Smith S&T is making me uneasy - Morey has repeatedly stressed that they are not in a hurry to deal Omer, if at all. 48 minutes of All-NBA caliber interior defense is invaluable and believe it or not, can be more important than the marginal increase in talent that you get from the 4 spot. You know what we need from the 5th guy to join a Howard, Harden, Lin, Parsons lineup?

Shooting. Some people are asking if we need to sign another bench shooter, a Delfino or Garcia type. Yes, yes and yes. We need about 3. If Miami's victory in the finals tell us anything, it's the importance of shooting. Their best lineup by far during the playoffs and indeed the entire season, both in terms of offense and defense, was some form of the following:

Chris Bosh/Chris Andersen
    Lebron
    Battier/Miller
    Ray Allen
    Mario Chalmers

Yep, no Wade. Because Wade can't shoot and spread the floor (as well as their other options).

Personally, I don't think Josh Smith would be the right type of forward for this team. Yes he would be a great weapon in transition. But our transition offense is more than good enough. Yes he will help with our transition defense. But that will improve with Howard. As for our half-court D, we were already top 10 when Omer was in the game. We'll have above 10 defense all the time with both Howard and Asik.

Offensively, I would bet that we'd be able to get better production out of a Howard/Parsons/(Delfino like shooter wing)/Harden/Lin group than having Smith at the 4.

Fit-wise in terms of offensive production, someone like Millsap will be better than Smith because of his more consistent mid-range game.

Oh how I wish we had Patrick Patterson back... #channelingCarlHerrera

8. kumakun

kumakun Member

He pulled off those stats when Harden was out.. you forget that 30+ game against the Spurs? i did the math and it seems the only feasible way to get Smith would be to trade Smith and Teague for Lin and Asik. Hope we keep Lin get Milsap instead.

9. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

lol win

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

So, are we to conclude that Asik's mind is not on winning championships?

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Rudy Gay to the Hawks
    Josh Smith and Kyle Lowry to the Rockets
    Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin to the Raptors

Why the Hawks would do this: They don't get a center they need back but they get a swingman who can score and is a marketable asset (well, moreso than Asik would be). This becomes an even sweeter deal considering Gay has a player option for the 14-15 season that he will probably opt out of to get what would probably be his last extension, thereby creating the same cap space for Atlanta for the Free Agent Fest of Summer 2014.

Why the Rockets would do this: Well, the Josh Smith factor has already been discussed but Lowry is the point guard that the Rockets can utilize moreso than what Jeremy Lin has provided. We all know the MO with Lowry but I think what he can (and has already) bring to a starting lineup comprised of Howard/Smith/Parsons/Harden is a lot in that he's a pretty good defender, has a big body to play point, can get to the free throw line, and can hit from the perimeter at a better clip than Lin. ALSO, this is the last year on his contract which will help take off about $7 million after next season to give Morey and the Rockets room to work with just in case a better point guard (Rondo?) becomes available via trade.

Why the Raptors would do this: Pairing their 2nd year big man Valanciunas with Asik would give Toronto not only an international flavor but also a pretty good defensive front line that, if/when blossomed, can prove to be a good weapon come playoff time as Chicago and Indiana has shown. Getting Lin isn't as important as getting Asik but with a big Asian population in Toronto (as well as reuniting him with costly teammate Landry Fields) could give both Lin and Toronto a new start that sees Lin more in a scorer's role (which is what he is) than a point guard. This moves also affords Toronto to move Amir Johnson via trade or part ways with him after next season and save $7 million in salary.

12. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Damn! Just noticed the tweet is from Chris Broussard. Means it is far far from true. Probably just speculation.

Either way, my two starting line-ups I picked look pretty solid. Be happy with either:

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Howard
    Asik

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    J.Smith
    Howard

Can't wait for the season to start!

13. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

YES PLEASE!!!

14. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I LOVE U OMER!! HOPE U WILL HAVE A GOOD TIME AT YOUR NEW TEAM!!!!!! LOVE YOU AND ALWAYS!!

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

While i doubt Omer is the type of guy to voice this opinion, i couldn't blame him for feeling this way.

He is probably one of the 10 best centers in the NBA, and he showed improvement throughout last year, he shouldn't be backing up anybody.

I wish him all the best, he seems like a class guy and clearly a hard worker but this move is for the best for us.

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

They should trade to get LaMarcus Adridge. He fits better than Josh Smith.

17. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

With the Blazer's getting Lopez, and them having a stud in Lilliard, we have no assets that they would want

18. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

He deserves to start, i dont think anyone really blames him for what he's trying to do. But you really can't blame the FO for going for Dwight. Not at all.

19. Korver167

Korver167 Member

Looks like Slim Thug has started his Josh Smith recruitment:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Yooooo <a href="https://twitter.com/JSmooveNBA">@JSmooveNBA</a></p>&mdash; slim thug (@slimthugga) <a href="https://twitter.com/slimthugga/statuses/353277020081360897">July 5, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am with Doc Rocket. This kind of stuff of out of Asik's character.

And according to Feigan's tweet (which I trust a lot more than Brousources'), Morey did lie about not shopping Asik.

BTW, I do believe Asik is more valuable than Josh Smith. If Morey trades him for Smith, it would only because that's the condition Howard would sign.