1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN anchor Jemele Hill called President Donald Trump a white supremacist.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Daddy Long Legs, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

To me, ESPN's calculation is as follows:

Don't the people who are now outraged about Hill already consider ESPN as having a "liberal bias" or "too political" or "too PC"? I've heard these complaints several times in recent years.

I am guessing the vast majority of these people have either already stopped watching ESPN or have decided to watch ESPN despite their complaints. It's not like these people are thinking something about ESPN that they didn't think before. These guys are already listening to Clay Travis rather than watching 6 pm SportsCenter.

So they don't really weigh much in ESPN's math.

el gnomo likes this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Very mildly racist. Lol

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Wasn't at all talking about you. I know enough about your posting history. Talking about Trump supporters. They know who they are.

Yea = agreement of your statement of Hill being unprofessional.

The idea is that if you complain about Hill's unprofessional behavior, you absolutely should be complaining about Trump. But again, that's where it simply doesn't happen with Trump supporters.

Simply put, this is what we see often
    1- Trump: supporters will allow, excuse away all of his horrible behaviors. Even some none supporters are now not caring, just who care. Normalization of horrible behaviors.
    2- Someone that isn't Trump: horrible behaviors are rarely acceptable and not excused away

Two standards.

el gnomo, Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Very, very is a Trump word

I would say she is mildy racist per the reasons he stated. Understandably so.

Also a large percentage of Trump fans are racist ;)

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

White House Rejects Supremacist Label: “No One Has Done More Than Trump to Prove White People Are Not Superior”
    [​IMG]
    By Andy Borowitz

September 13, 2017

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Upbraiding the ESPN anchor Jemele Hill for calling Donald Trump a “white supremacist,” the White House press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, said on Wednesday that “no one has done more than President Trump to prove that white people are not superior.”

“It’s grossly unfair that Ms. Hill sought to portray Donald Trump as an upholder of white supremacy, when everything he says or does directly undermines that whole concept,” Sanders said. “Anyone who thinks that Donald Trump is on some mission to make white people look good hasn’t been paying attention.”

Sanders urged the ESPN anchor to “do her homework” on Trump before making baseless allegations. “Read his tweets,” she said. “Listen to his speeches. If you still think Donald Trump is trying to prove that white people are superior, I tip my hat to you.”

Ending on a personal note, Sanders said that she was “a hundred-per-cent sure” that her boss is not a white supremacist. “Donald Trump cannot even spell the word ‘supremacist,’ ” she said.

el gnomo and Nook like this.
  6. adoo

adoo Member

true, but that doesn't mean that he is not a white supremacist.

judge him by his actions.

he surrounds himself w white supremacistss (Bannon, Gorka, Miller, etc.)
    he repeated has said that there are good folks in the Nazi / KKK community
    he had the the leading voice of birtherism, for at least 5 yrs
    he had decclared that Mexican judges can't be impartial
    he had called Mexicans are murderers and rapists​

krnxsnoopy likes this.
  7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

"rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It's like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan." - jellybelly hill

nothing mild about that quote, that's what a full on racist sounds like.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He fabricated a story of thousands upon thousands of Muslims in Jersey City celebrating 9/11.

Retweets false statistics about black crime that was fabricated by a white nationalist group.

Best buds with Sherrif Joe who violated the 4th amendment by searching and detaining individuals just based in physical appearance and then pardoned the man before he was sentenced without him even admitting he did anything wrong.

I'm not sure if he is a hardcore racist. I know that he appeases them.

Has probably the highest approval rating amongst self labeled white supremacists since possibly Andrew Jackson.

Conservative posters who feel as if it is their duty to play apologetics for Trump, we have actual explicit reasons why Trump is often labeled as a racist, not just vague platitudes like with your Hillary hate.

#308 fchowd0311, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Nook and krnxsnoopy like this.
  9. fchowd0311

Let's hypothetically assume she is one even though it's based on far less data points than Trump's allegations that he is one.

What is more concerning to you? A ESPN sports commentator being racist or our President?

The reason I ask this is that you've dedicated more time to calling her out as a racist than our actual president who has significantly more evidence that he is racist or at the very least panders to racists.

AkeemTheDreem86, Nook and krnxsnoopy like this.
  10. ipaman

love him or hate him i don't care but if you actually think that donald trump (modern day businessman & celebrity) is a "white supremacist" your iq is embarrassingly low.

now if you think he's dumb, white, wealthy, and slightly insensitive and/or ignorant, then we can talk.

11. fchowd0311

Okay I'm dumb. But he does have far more data points to accurately pin him as a racist or appeasing racists than this ESPN commentator.

No, Trump does not attend KKK meetings with a white robe and explcitly state white people are supurior. You are incredibly naive if you think gaslighting doesn't exist. He says all the right things to get mass approval from self labeled white supremacists. He's doing something right to tickle their fancy.

You just can't ignore this. People labeled Obama a racist. They labeled him a Muslim extremist. But the difference here is that a Muslim extremists hates Obama. BLM activists think he's an Uncle Tom.

White supremacists love Trump. Why is that? Ask these rhetorical question to yourself and see for yourself if Hill's comments were so drastically off base.

Keep in mind that you are condemning her like, a sports commentator , for calling our president a racist yet our president has called our former president racist multiple times yet I don't see you asking for his resignation.
    Do you have higher standards for ESPN sports commentary than the office of POTUS?

I mean this is a sports forum first so maybe you do value sports commentary over the powers and influence of the POTUS.

I mean this is so evident in the post I'm replying to.

You brush off Trump, our god damn president as unhinged white person out of touch but seem significantly more outraged that a sports commentator with far less influence called him a racist. Your priorities are out of wack.

#311 fchowd0311, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  12. ipaman

obama is not a even close to being a racist and whoever thinks that has an even lower iq.

the only "standard" i hold against espn is based on sports and they suck balls at that as it is. to add to that they want to shove liberal propaganda in my face when i just want to watch a game or some highlights? fack all that bullshit. trump is a politician and he's gonna have to deal with all of that bullshit for other politicians and the media. jellybelly hill is a host on a sports network. if she wants to become an political activist or social commentator she should quit her day job and join cnn or foxnews idgaf.

13. fchowd0311

Dude... That's some horrible logic to justify being more concerned that a ESPN commentator might be racist rather than our POTUS being one or appeasing them.

14. fchowd0311

I would like to add how disengenous this complaint is.

She made the statement in her private Twitter account. She did not use her ESPN platform to make the statement.

Do you follow her on Twitter? No? Then your viewing expereince on ESPN shouldn't be altered then.

Do you think she has the right to hold opinions in her private life?

15. ipaman

Her bosses at ESPN completely disagree with you in that they've publicly stated that twitter and other social outlets are not considered private when it comes to their public staff. ESPN's actions (demand her apology and numerous firings and suspension) also prove they completely disagree with you.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That article was satire

No Worries and KingCheetah like this.
  17. adoo

adoo Member

yip, a satirical take on the truth about Trump

18. krnxsnoopy

So what Jemele Hill did was unprofessional and probably inappropriate given her job and platform, though that doesn't mean what she said isn't true. Please don't try to convolute the two. They're two distinct and separate points.

That said, you seem awfully focused on the unprofessionalism and the 'firing' of Jemele Hill rather than the merits of her statement which were addressed by previous posters. Yet you only decided to respond to comments whether Jemele Hill and ESPN are using their platform appropriately.

The paradox Trump fans face when defending Trump. More often than not, it's impossible to defend Trump's actions so their focus is on how others are conducting themselves. It's almost as if everyone else is held to a higher standard than the (incompetent) President of the United States.

But but... the leakers! They're not doing it the right way! What they're doing is illegal! False equivalencies. As if leaking is just as bad as the potential collusion with Russia.

What ESPN and Jemele Hill did was inappropriate! How about the appeasing and enabling of white supremacist racists by the Orange r****d??

19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i know white people from boston and white people who have lived in boston and they say the exact same thing.

20. krnxsnoopy

New Yorkers (White, and other races) often say the same thing about Boston.

"Boston is racist af"