1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN All-time NBA Rank- Centers (Hakeem at #5)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 523744, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is straight up blasphemy.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Positional ranks have been revealed for all-time <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBArank?src=hash">#NBArank</a>.

Here's the starting 5. <a href="https://t.co/SMn0GveoYj">pic.twitter.com/SMn0GveoYj</a></p>&mdash; NBA on ESPN (@ESPNNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/689550061160759296">January 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I have Dream overall #1 or #2 center. Anything lower than that and I would disagree

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Prime Shaq is above every other player ever.

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Ewing... should NOT be on this list. I would take Parish, Mourning, and Hayes ahead of him...

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Prime Shaq couldn't handle prime Hakeem.....even Shaq would tell you that.

7. dream2franchise

5th? K...

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/Fml0fgAxVx1eM" width="480" height="558" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/jennifer-lawrence-thumbs-up-ok-Fml0fgAxVx1eM">via GIPHY</a></p>

8. dream2franchise

That list is full of dude's Hakeem sent packing in the playoffs but whatevs.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'm fine putting Kareem and Wilt in the discussion with Hakeem.

The Russell argument is one of those things that I just won't eve be able to comprehend. And I'm even talking at a physical level...my brain just cannot process that argument.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's nostalgia, Wilt being in the conversation is also nostalgia. Hakeem, Kareem, or Shaq would have made Wilt their b**** if they played at the same time.

11. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Kareem was Jimmy Paige
    Dream was Jimi Hendrix

They were both great innovators, but Dream was the iconoclast. Kareem came to basketball through very traditional training. John Wooden and UCLA at the time were basically synonymous with fundamental basketball. But, Dream started with only his ability and creativity and showed you the possibilities of his artistry.

12. AXG

AXG Member

Shaq's prime was with the Lakers.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I know, and he wouldn't be able to handle prime Hakeem even then....and he'd very likely tell you so.

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think Kareem is clearly #1. I think Wilt benefited from having only one other comparable center at that time. But I hesitate to take away from his sheer dominance of the game. Similarly I hesitate to take away from Russell's 11 rings. Granted, his team was so stacked that 6th men were making the Hall of Fame. But he was a defensive/rebounding powerhouse. Pitting Hakeem vs. either of those two is hard to do as the game had changed so much in those 15-20 years. Hakeem also had an interesting career arc where his rebounding and defensive prowess peaked earlier than his offensive prowess, so we only saw both peaks in full effect for about 3-4 years. This takes away nothing from the man, but those 3-4 years are what is etched in our memory. He was always a good two way player, but his peak defensive years were 89-93 and his peak offensive years were 93-96, and his 92-93 campaign was probably his single greatest individual year. Wilt and Kareem both played at their peaks for nearly a decade, while Russell is really hard to gauge given the lack of good statistics.

I give Hakeem the nod over Shaq. I'd consider Hakeem hypothetically against Wilt and Russell, but have no objective evidence to put him over the top of either. Hard to stack against 11 rings or Wilt's obscene stats. But I couldn't disrespect Kareem - only Duncan comes close in terms of longevity, and Kareem's peak blows away Duncan's peak. If Hakeem ranks below Kareem, I can live with that. Both are giants among men.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

yeah but Hakeem played for Houston, automatic espn deduction right there.

1 person likes this.
  16. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

I have a hypothetical question if he played a full career would you have taken Yao over him? I argue about this often and personally would have. I think while injuries and time to adjust to the NBA game really hinder his consideration, to me he had more skills than Ewing and if Yao and lets say Ralph Sampsons injuries keep them off the list why would Bill Walton be on the list over Elvin Hayes?

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Hands down it's Hakeem. The guy had all the moves, the size, the speed and the smarts. KAJ had the greatest PG ever (Magic) to make him look better. Look at the teams that had phenomenal PGs- Phoenix with Nash, Lakers with Magic and now GS with Curry. They make their fellow players look like all-stars. Shaq was a HUGE skilled center, Wilt and Russel played with a bunch of crackers. No contest. Yes, this is a Rockets forum but even taking away the bias Hakeem is the best, hands down.

I agree with Magic and MJ on that list, and probably LBJ. But I'm not so sure about Duncan at PF.

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I'm sorry but Kareem is NOTTTTTT better than Hakeem. I will argue with anyone over this debate.

19. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Lots in this thread seem to be okay giving Russell less than his due, but not that many seem skeptical of Wilt's place here.

I would have Wilt #5 on my list of top 5 centers of all time, at best. Argument for Shaq, Hakeem and Kareem among the top 3, in some order, is very debatable imo. Russell #4.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Not sure if serious, but Ewing is better than Mourning and Parish, kinda by far. Hayes is ahead of my time.

Almost half of Shaq's best career numbers and feats happened in ORL.