1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] All About Chemistry: Houston Finding the Right Mix

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Water Boy, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Water Boy

Water Boy Member

[​IMG]

One thing stands out as we see how well the Houston Rockets have been playing in building this 17-game win streak.

Chemistry.

It's the major class that's in session all across the West right now. The Rockets are right at the head of the class.

That lesson tells us that basketball is more chess than checkers, and a team is more than just the sum of its parts. A team that gels with five playing in unison will always have more success than a more talented but less cohesive team.

Getting the right chemistry is something crucial to the hopes of other West teams. You see it going on now with the Phoenix Suns as they're trying to incorporate Shaquille O'Neal into their style of play. And we see it with bringing Jason Kidd to the Dallas Mavericks.

Even the Los Angeles Lakers, when they get Andrew Bynum back, will have an adjustment period, fitting him in with Pau Gasol up front.

Houston made subtle changes and has found the right combinations, enough so that it can even withstand the loss of Yao Ming.

I'm happy to see Tracy McGrady, who had 31 points in the win over the Mavs, have this kind of success. He's taken a lot of flak for not getting out of the first round of the playoffs, but when he's hot, he's as explosive a scorer as we have in the NBA.

He has had help. Rafer Alston had a season-high 24 points against the Mavs. Luis Scola brings some nice intangibles to the floor. Rookie Carl Landry has come out of nowhere and given them that live athletic body while still playing within himself. And it's good to see Dikembe Mutombo sipping from the fountain of youth. I played with him for two years in Denver. As then, he knows how to play to his strengths.

Rockets coach Rick Adelman gets a lot of credit for keeping this team together after an early adjustment period.

So far, the team has adjusted well to the loss of Yao, winning all five without their center. The loss of Yao is tough break, and great loss to the game, not just the Rockets.

With a healthy McGrady, this is one team that now looks like it will be anywhere from a No. 6 to No. 8 seed. Even so, I don't see Houston coming out of the West as the representative. The West is tough. It's the Spurs, still.

Two of the three teams generally agreed upon in the preseason as the tops in the West were San Antonio, Dallas and Phoenix. It's amazing to me that we now hear some suggest two of those teams are in danger of missing the playoffs altogether.

Coming into this game without Dirk Nowitzki, if you're Dallas, you're probably thinking if you lose, it's a close game. For the Rockets to beat you soundly, that's something to see, and has to give Dallas something to think about

It's going to be interesting to see how Dallas plays in the weeks ahead with a tough stretch of games ahead. Still, I think they'll find a way to make the playoffs, even if they are on the brink of falling out now.

Finding that good chemistry will be key to it all.

ESPN analyst Jalen Rose is a regular Daily Dime contributor. For more about Jalen, visit his Web site: JalenRose.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080307

2. matty101

matty101 Member

At least we are getting some credit but c'mon guys, dont we have a shot at the 5th or even 3rd seed??

IMO we can take over NO for the 3rd seed, that would be sweet.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm not so sure about this Jalen...imo...basketball is more a game of twister than marco polo.

4. diehardrockets

I didn't realize Jalen Rose could write so well ;)

5. jason_long

jason_long Member

it is Rick Adelman who help to build the chemistry among the players. That's probably why Rick Adelman is better than JVG. He knows all the players, while jeff probably only knows the playbook and the two super-stars.

I feel really good about trading away MJames and Bonzi Wells. :D

6. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

I guess that degree from Michigan is worth something :)

7. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

I really thought that Bonzi was playing as much team basketball as he has ever played. Mike James obviously wasn't part of the team, never mind contributing to the chemistry.

But I thought Bonzi made an honest effort to feed off of Yao and Tmac even though it was a contract year for him.

Bobby Jackson is either feast or famine. :) He either makes all his shots or he missed them all. Bonzi brought a different dimension.

Rebounding has been more difficult without Yao. Landry is really undersized and Bonzi is a better rebounder than Landry even though he played at guard or small forward.

8. engr chris

engr chris Member

No pls! I dont like us to be the 3rd seed. I hope we would be 5th so we can have our revenge against the Jazzholes!

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That was a nice complementary article except for the part where he said we'd finish between 6th and 8th in the West. Granted, that might still happen, but we're in 5th right now and could move into 3rd with a win on Saturday. Why does no one give us a shot at finishing in the top 5?

10. Pringles

Pringles Member

if we are 3rd, we could play one of the fellow likely teams

• Dallas
    • Hornets
    • Denver
    • Golden State
    • Phoenix

i like my chances on all teams, except dallas.

11. noname

noname Member

i don't think we can beat jazz in the playoffs this year, most i hope is to versus NO!

12. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Except Dallas? Really? I'd rather play against Dallas then Golden State!
    If Golden State makes it to the playoffs, they are the "dark horse" ...

13. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

If we beat NO on Saturday, we'll do just that :cool:

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I was going to say more Battle Ship than Monopoly but I see your point. :D

15. conquistador#11

16. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Marc Stein hopping on the bandwagon !

17. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Finally, some props given to our two-headed monster, and he's one of the few to see that Landry is a very underrated athlete.

Starting to turn their heads towards us a little more I see ;)

19. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Member

it seems like everytime the rox do good they say okay they can do that but can they do this. man what to they have to do to get more respect. i kno. win the damn championship!!

20. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

The way Jalen Rose writes, is the way he talks.