1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(ESPN 710) John Ireland reporting CP3 to Lakers rumor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 28, 2019.

1. ksny15

ksny15 Member

They are not trading CP3. If you trade ham not only will that look badd for the Houston Rockets as an organization but it will look terrible on James harden and I think everyone involved knows that but I don't think the rockets or harden want CD3 gone for that matter I think the whole argument is extremely overblown. Paul is still a very good player in this league and one of the best point guards in the league you don't get better by trading him.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

He's overpaid based on this year's production, but he's not a negative on the court. He's productive, has star power and is a leader, in my opinion. A team would want that, but they'd have to decide if they want to overpay for that. It's not Ryan Anderson.

If you unloaded him purely into another team's cap space, you lose a lot on the floor and could get maybe $22-25M in cap space? (@BimaThug could come up with a better number). Most likely you'd take someone back so you wouldn't get that much. I guess it depends on what you could do with that but the Rockets would need to reinvent themselves at that point.

Deuce, sammy, CCity Zero and 4 others like this.
  3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Agreed he’s still a plus floor general. Think we might have to adjust to asking less isolation creation out of him.

Also I think his shooting has to get a little better than last year. His eFG% on “open” shots took a huge hit, which to me would seem like a one year blip.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

This is my line of thinking right now. I'm okay with moving on from CP3 if both sides decide that is the correct avenue. If that's the case, I can't see many options out there that would make Chris happy. The Lakers stick out. I'm not okay with just dumping him for fun but I would be okay with 1 of Kuzma or Ingram, and Lonzo Ball as future building blocks. I couldn't imagine getting the fourth pick as well, but I think it's crazy that people aren't seeing how valuable he still is. He will still be a positive player on the court in three years even if he's not 40 million positive. Knight and Anderson were negatives, money be damned.

Deuce, Tristan_fiore and Clutch like this.
  5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Basketball Reasons

6. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

This is really disappointing - from owner, Daryl, and Harden - all equally at fault. If this is true, it tells me that all 3 of them have given up on CP3 which is sad for Harden most of all. If Harden's given up on CP, then I don't know who he thinks is the best co-star he can play with. Frankly, I won't be surprised if he lets CP go and chases another MVP type solo-season.

7. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Is he a really good player? Yes.
    Worth the $40m? No.
    Worth the inability to significantly upgrade the team for the remainder of his contract. Definitely no.

If the objective is to be a really good team that will make the playoffs for the next 2-3 years then yes keep him. But if it’s to win a championship then this team isn’t getting there with CP3. And keeping him wastes 3-4 years of Hardens prime. He’s not going to be getting any better. He’s just going to get worse from here on out. That’s what being in your mid 30’s does to your body.

I wouldn’t trade him just to dump him. BUT if he wants to play with LBJ for the remainder of his years and the lakers are willing to give us flexibility in return I’m amiable to that.

8. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

I trust CP3 more than James Harden.

mastan likes this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just don't buy the story. If it happens, I'll be shocked. I think Chris is overpaid as well, but we chose to give him the deal, and he's still a damn good player. Nope, I don't believe it.

mikol13 and justtxyank like this.
  10. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Is flexibility that great when you know you have an all-time great in Harden now in the middle of his prime? The only way this scenario comes about and it's a success is if we can get another superstar in return for the Laker's rebuild package. Outside of landing another star player within the same year or two from the afforded flexibility, a "trade CP for a rebuild around Harden" will be a waste of everyone's time.

RocketsMAN! and saleem like this.
  11. lionaire

lionaire Member

Trust him to do what? Stay healthy? Make an impact in an important series? Play up to the value of his contract?

Or do you mean like if you need someone to watch your dog for the weekend? Cause if that's the case then I get it, otherwise there's no reason for you to trust CP3 more than Harden.

12. Marteen

Marteen Member

If someone is willing to take on that contract then be my guest.

13. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Yes it is....when you consider keeping him locks you into 2nd or 3rd round exits at best. Yes, losing him without improving with said flexibility might mean 1st or 2nd round exits but I’d rather have that with a chance to significantly improve while in harden’s prime. I’m all for keeping him if somehow the rockets can snag a legit 2nd star with CP3 playing 3rd. But I just don’t see that happening anytime soon with CP3 taking up the amount of salary he is.

Rocket River and RocketsFan247 like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

fake news. heard harden is being traded as well

15. Caprah

Caprah Member

How will it look bad on harden? Paul is killing our cap flexibility and has clearly been washed up for a while. It’s the Rockets looking after their best interests.

If any gm is dumb enough to take that deal u do it

Reeko and GotGame15 like this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Geez. Chris Paul isn't "washed up." That's ridiculous. He's simply not worth $40,000,000 a year.

17. JW86

JW86 Member

Are we getting Pau Gasol? That way it’s for us and LA like the veto never happened.

18. tc0330

tc0330 Member

for none of their young core and no bron? lmao so we just gonna give him away? seems legit.

19. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I agree. All off season is always all Lakers talk. I like Paul a lot just not with that salary. If they wouldn't consider giving up Kuzma I wouldn't want anything else.

saleem likes this.
  20. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

How much of this is based on the assumption that KD is leaving to the East? Is there a scenario in which it is more necessary to keep CP this season than to offload him for future flexibility? Just wondering how many here assumed CP was a 2-year rental?