1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN]2009-10 Forecast: Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by burnshroom, Sep 28, 2009.

1. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Didn't see this elsewhere. Lock or move if already posted.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/trainingcamp09/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=RocketsForecast0910

1 person likes this.
  2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Only 37 wins.. COME ON, WHERE IS THE LOVE, BSPN?

3. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

37 wins is more than I'm expecting, not that bad of a analysis.

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

all the Hollinger love is gone with the Yao ;)

That's okay when we finish above .500 everyone will be eating their words.

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

He's right to a certain extent, the rockets frontline is a bunch of midgets.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hollinger's preseason analysis is always well worth the read.

Thanks for posting it.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lind of intereting thought on the opponent FT%. Hollinger said it's just luck-- maybe not, though. Perhaps Rockets were smart enough to avoid hacking high % FT shooters more than other teams. It would be interesting to see if we look at the seasonlong FT% of those who went to the line vs. the Rockets and do a weighted average (by the number of FT attempted while playing vs. Rockets), whether that "expected value" would be lower than the normal league avg.

8. echu888

echu888 Member

Wow, predicting below .500. Pretty rough, but possibly accurate considering the anchor of our offense and defense disappearing.

Here's to hoping for a surprise season from the Rockets.

9. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Matt Bullard's vaunted "Free Throw Defense" :)

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

writing of the rox again? you'd think they'd learn.

11. Raven

Raven Member

If the Rockets miss the playoffs, let's hope they fall far enough to get a high draft pick.

12. Steve_Francis_rules

That's a really interesting idea.

My initial take was to disagree with Hollinger because it's quite possible that because the Rockets make teams work much harder on the offensive end than most other teams, players were tired and missed more free throws. This of course, wouldn't be as easily testable as your idea.

1 person likes this.
  13. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I agree with a lot of it, but I think we're going to be a lot better offensively than people expect. We have a lot of guys who can play in the system Rick wants to run. I think we'll see a lot of movement, pick and rolls, and open mid range jump shots. If we don't plummet defensively (and I don't expect us to), that will be enough to win more than 41 games and make a serious run for seeds 6-8.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

37 wins? WTF.

I'm expecting at least 45 and maybe a 8th seed if we make a playoff push deep in the regular season.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I knew Hollinger wrote this without having to look. Is there anyway we can rep Hollinger? He is always on-target.

16. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

This is a very realistic assessment of our current roster, not too optimistic about the potentials of our young and new players, at the same time not too pessimistic and dismissive.

17. ThaShark316_28

I got em at 38-44...so...

18. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

i came in this thread expecting to see a prediction of 38 wins so yeah from the outside its pretty spot on, i believe will be between 45 and 50 wins myself but thats just me i guess

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

The Rockets have been consistently near the top of the league in "free throw defense" for the past few years now. Hollinger is flat out wrong --- that is no coincidence or luck. The Rockets play a brand of intelligent defense that is rarely found elsewhere in the league, led by Shane Battier. One of their key disciplines is to avoid fouling high percentage free throw shooters. The Rockets generally make an effort to avoid fouling at all, tend to play physical and force a lot of long missed jumpshots (both of which have a negative impact on confidence at the free throw line), and do a better job than average of sending lower-percentage shooters to the line when possible.

1 person likes this.
  20. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

i agree. i thought the analysis was right on as i was reading it.

some people think that they have to hope for the best for their team, but sometimes those hopes are unrealistic.. in the houston texans case, they are always unrealistic. i hate that some people here blast people for having their own 'realistic' expectations, saying they're not true fans or whatever

1 person likes this.