1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN’s Royce Young: Harden Is Ruining Pro Sports/Stepback Should Be Banned

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Apr 17, 2018.

1. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

The main difference seems to be that Harden covers more ground by taking a larger step on the initial step back. Jordan (and Kobe who employed the same move all the time) probably executed the move more quickly where Harden actually uses the change of pace between steps to throw off the defender. I think that change of pace is where people think they see an extra dab step of the foot that he jumps off of. This is actually what makes the move brilliant.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

3. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I understand exactly what it is - a delibertey inflammatory statement that is masqueraded as analysis.

There is no part of the “hot take” construction that guarantees no backlash from what is said. It is an unfortunate trend in sports commentary that I anxiously await the day that its popularity ends.

4. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Lmaooo thought that said "Royce White" at first

J Sizzle likes this.
  5. MystikArkitect

Does anyone know what Ja Rule thinks about Harden's step back? I need him to help me make sense of all this.

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

When reached for comment, Mr. Rule proclaimed simply, “Murrrrdaaaaa...

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It can be in the guise of a hot take, but the more it gets perpetuated in the media, the more scrutiny it will get and be put under a microscope. Kerr knew what he was doing months ago planting the seed.

8. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Oladipo could have been diplomatic so as to not offend. Also, a catalyst can be positive or negative. For example - Russ was a crap selfish player who marginalized me, so I played like ****. Once I left the team, because of my experiences with Russ, I decided to be someone who people actually wanted to play with. So I learned from my experiences with Russ.

Could have easily been shade. Russ is an amazing fearless athlete whose style of play unfrequented hurts his team and teammates.

DonKnock likes this.
  9. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

"You know what they say about left-handed people, right? They worship the Devil! The word 'sinister' literally MEANS 'left-handed'! How many unbaptized children has James Harden murdered to get this good at basketball?!"

The_Yoyo likes this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You know who else ruined sports? Lew Alcindor, which is why the NCAA banned unfair game destroying "dunk" shots.

In general - when people claim "unfair" and request a legal tactic be banned, it is the last step of cementing greatness, because they are out of ideas.

Hakeem travel on dream shake
    Jordan push off on Russell/traveling complaints
    Shaq bullying in the post
    Lebron Crab dribble
    Warriors moving screens

11. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Simple......people who don't really play basketball and just report the game are baffled and think it's traveling.

If you've played the game, you know that you get 2 steps after a gather just like a layup, plain and simple.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  12. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Your deduction skills are a bit suspect.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

what are you tired of defending him? the legit fouls called on him? or his legit moves which are not called as travel?

14. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Why don't the Rockets, a much better team in a immensely more important city, have a Houston-based homer pretending to be a beat reporter like this dunderhead Royce Young? **** ESPN.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That is a fair question. Calvin Watkins was ESPN's "Houston Blog reporter" for the Rockets but was laid off when ESPN did the house cleaning. Amazing that Young is employed but yet in a small market. Spurs have Michael C. Wright as their ESPN team reporter.

Rockets "share" Tim MacMahon of ESPN who now rotates with Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Utah and Memphis.

dc rock and DonKnock like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Calvin wasn't exactly a Houston/Rockets/Harden homer.

Came from NFL/Dallas, now in New York, covering the NFL again.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because the Thunder are more popular nationally than the Rockets. It's simple economics.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

True! So even when the Rockets got their "own guy" he was really championing the team much.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Harden has to be prepared for these now.

He can't let it get in his head. I'm scared that they will call it once and it'll get in his head that he can't do it. That's the whole purpose of this.

They know they aren't going to outlaw the step back, but if you can get in Harden's head then you can make him hesitate or think too much about what normally is a natural go-to move from him.

We need a Houston beat writer to start the narrative drum that Westbrook is the 2nd best player on his team and that it is Paul George's team now.

slothy420, HakeemOnlyFan and rocks123 like this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

I do believe that Russ helped Dipo in that sense that he got to see how Russ prepares and takes care of his body, he got to see the amount of work a star player puts in to get where they’re at which is something he didn’t get down in Orlando...part of the reason why Dipo is so good now is because he transformed his body

as far as on the court, Russ didn’t help him at all