1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Montross

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by University Blue, Sep 14, 2000.

1. University Blue

www.espn.com

Another Nets link is current Pistons ultra backup Eric Montross, who struggled to score a point per game last year. OK, the guy only averaged six minutes. In 1997, the Nets swapped Bradley for Montross on the undercard of a seven-player deal that featured Ed O'Bannon and Sam Cassell. Eric's points per game have gone steadily down from 10 ppg in his rookie year (he was the No. 9 pick in 1994, which was the Dare draft) to last year's low with the Pistons. Montross only makes about $2 million a year, but signed an 11-year contract with the Celtics out of North Carolina that will ensure he gets paid 2005. Nice work, Eric.

[​IMG]

If Houston intends to compete with the frontcourts in the Western Conference (in the not-so-distant future), they will need to add more size. Little-used Montross was a solid player coming out of North Carolina and (I think) is still an effective interior presence and rebounder. Pryzbillia would have been great, but Montross would be just as effective on the frontline with Cato and Langhi.

Who's going to run with Stackhouse, Hunter, and Cleaves in Detroit? Maybe Carlos Rogers?!

------------------
    Forget regrets or life is yours to miss.

[This message has been edited by University Blue (edited September 14, 2000).]

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

3. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Montross? Nah, I'll pass.

------------------

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Not just a simple no from me....HELL NO!

Montross is easily in the cellar as far as centers go. He is slow, limited offensively (that is being nice) and is a poor rebounder and defender to boot.

RUN FAST! RUN FAR AWAY!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

5. himself

himself Member

Rudy wouldn't do this to save his life!!!!!

------------------

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

We don't need him. Next years draft is deep, and we have a lot of picks (hopefully) We should be able to land someone better than Montross

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

7. University Blue

<quote>Montross is easily in the cellar as far as centers go. He is slow, limited offensively (that is being nice) and is a poor rebounder and defender to boot. "</quote>

I dis-agree. Houston does not need Montross to run the 200M in Sydney. They need him to provide an interior presence and grab some weak-side rebounds.

His statistics are mis-leading because he only averaged six minutes a game with Detroit. Just because Detroit didn't know how to utilize his size doesn't mean he cannot be a solid contributor to a contending team.

At two million a year, he's a good deal.

------------------

8. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Montross can be effective against a handful of teams each season. He can match up with the largest of centers and deny them position fairly well. He's basically useless against the smaller, quicker guys that inhabit most of the NBA's pivots now though.

His main problem, other than being slow, is his confidence has eroded for years. He's too focused on what he can't do (be quick and hit free throws) than what he can (play position d, bang and rebound fairly well).

He could be a decent enough pickup for a team that needs a situational big guy to play sporadically. A team like Portland could use his body a few times a year. Just don't expect him to be a regular contributor.

In other words, if money doesn't really matter and you need the guy for a specific purpose, sure. If not, not.

Houston doesn't qualify as needed or wanting a guy like Montross.

------------------

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Eric Montross is old news , Nobody wants him , he's just a tall white dude that cant play NBA ball

------------------
    This signature space for rent call 555 ...

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

We had Eric Montross for about 30 minutes this past June 30th before we traded him away for Jason Collier.

Hmmm...Collier vs. Montross/Pryzbilla: Who would you rather NOT have. Now that sounds like a good thread discussion.

------------------
    Mo money, Mo problems...

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited September 14, 2000).]

11. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

University Blue, you must REALLY disagree with me....so much you posted your response twice!

Well, sure, Montross is an inside presence, but what the hell does that mean? He is not an intimidating presence apparently with .62 blocks per game for his career(and I would think we would want that).

I just have to question why his minutes and accordingly his scoring, rebounding, and assists have all diminished as his career has progressed (or regressed). There must be a reason for it. And it didn't just start with Detroit.

I had a chance to watch him for half a season with Dallas, and I will tell you he is not a force inside at all. I don't think we pay a guy 2 mil. pull down a few weakside rebounds. Hell, Pig Miller was the steal of the century then....let's keep him!

------------------

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Jason Collier has a pretty big body(7'0 250).

Jason Collier led his CONFERENCE in rebounding in college.

Jason Collier blocked more than a shot a game over his college career.

Jason Collier can shoot too and can contribute on the offensive end.

Why would we want the Montrosity?????

Oh yeah, Kelvin Cato is 6'11 255 - is that too small a body??

------------------

13. University Blue

I dis-agree. Houston does not need Montross to run the 200M in Sydney. They need him to provide an interior presence and grab some weak-side rebounds.

His statistics are mis-leading because he only averaged six minutes a game with Detroit. Just because Detroit didn't know how to utilize his size doesn't mean he cannot be a solid contributor to a contending team.

At two million a year, he's a good deal.

------------------

[This message has been edited by University Blue (edited September 14, 2000).]

14. University Blue

I watched Montross play at UNC and granted collegiate success doesn't necessarily translate to the NBA, but he has the size and body to be a solid player. Statistics are mis-leading -- especially if you look at his time in the league: Boston, Dallas, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Detroit.

Boston had entitlement delusions of rebuilding the team with a young guy by the name of Michael Smith (?).

Dallas was having its own problems with Kidd, Jackson, and Mashburn.

New Jersey has had how many coaching changes in the past six years?

Philadelphia and Larry Brown might have been a good situation for Montross.

Detroit was Grant Hill's team -- that is until the playoffs started, and then it was anybody's team. This is a team that has now lost both Hill and Allan Houston.

[​IMG]

Houston will need more than Cato (and Collier) to compete with the frontcourt players in the Western Conference.

------------------

15. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Stats can indeed be misleading....but has not shown he can play in this league since his rookie year. I would agree IF he had had an on again off again career. But he has had one good year out of six.

It is hard and maybe a bit unfair to blame the teams he has played for or team turmoil on HIS level of play. One can have bad luck, but you cannot blame his poor play over a span of five years on luck.

If the team turmoil or situations he was in were bad, then what does that say for the character of the man? Is he that weak minded that he cannot overcome change and adversity to do his job.

Geeze, I cannot believe I have spent so much time on a Montross thread.

[​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited September 15, 2000).]

16. University Blue

You're not talking about M. Taylor, are you?

J. Rose?

It might be un-fair to attribute Montross's poor statistics to the team(s) he played for [sic], but for a player with his collegiate success, you have to question why he never lived up to expectations. I think Montross was short-changed by some of the teams when he entered the league and never got a chance to develop.

At six minutes per game in Detroit, Montross never got a chance to "overcome change and adversity to do his job."

------------------

17. Bballplayinplaya

Zan Tabak, Serge Zwikker, ERIC MONTROSS?
    Please god dont let his happen!

------------------
    Bow down to GOD FRANCIS!

"If they offered me (a lifetime contract) tomorrow, I'd take it."

-- Steve Francis on if the Rockets offered him a lifetime deal. He has now been elevated to "God" status.

18. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

19. University Blue

We can each judge for ourselves if there is un-tapped potential in Montross.

January 4, 2001
    February 8, 2001

It's a long time to wait (for redemption), but hope springs eternal.

------------------

20. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I have been waiting for 6 years for that untapped potential. If he has it, it most definitely UNTAPPED!
    I think 6 years of waiting will not be redeemed in two games, even if he has a line of 40, 15, 5 and 5.

Even the sun shines on a dog's a$$ from time to time!

[​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited September 18, 2000).]