1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon needs to be a Rocket for life

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Zergling

Zergling Member

I was on board for trading Gordon in the offseason after the horrific start he had to start the year, but he more than stepped it up in the 2nd half and was a critical piece to beating the Jazz in the playoffs. He shot almost 50% from three and played elite defense on Donovan Mitchell. With Tucker, Gordon, and Harden in the starting lineup, that's 3 really THICC bodies to bully the other team. Good luck ever posting up on this team.

I was not a fan of the small ball lineup because of our poor rebounding at first, but Gordon has proven he absolutely can hold his own as a small ball 3, and the advanced stats of that lineup in the 2nd half have been scary good. Keeping Gordon as the starting 3 was supposedly the Rockets' vision during the offseason and clearly it has worked.

Unless we can get a much superior player in return, I think not only should we not trade him -- we should sign him to an extension for a reasonable amount of money. He's just too perfect for this team and system. Both with our heavy volume threes offense and heavy switching on defense.

Eric Gordon should be a Rocket until he retires.

napalm06, bilaal14, Patience and 10 others like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We only have the taxpayer MLE to work with this off season and he's the only tradeable contract.

If we aren't good enough this season and need upgrades, he's getting traded. If we win a title, then maybe extension talks will get somewhere.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's sad because besides Harden and Capella, Gordon is our most tradeable and sought after asset. So if this team feels as if it needs major roster upgrades this off-season, he's most likely gone which sucks because I want him to stay also.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

How sought after is he though?

5. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

How is it a roster upgrade to get rid of Gordon?

deb4rockets and IBTL like this.
  6. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

We should give him a max length extension to pay him some on the back end

deb4rockets likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

I would say for any contending team, he would be a sought after acquisition especially if they want a good 6th man type scorer.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

it probably won't but I'm thinking of packaged deals.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So what is a contending team that wants a 6th man scorer going to give up?

This is what I mean. We aren't trading him for someone's star. The teams that want Eric Gordon are teams like the Rockets. Teams like the Rockets aren't trading their players better than Eric Gordon for someone like Eric Gordon. Are they?

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

the reason he didn't sign the extension morey offered was because he knows that he'll get a much bigger contract if he just waits. He played like an all star in last year's play offs too. this is nothing new. It would be a bargain to get him at 20 million a year. Problem is, he might get 25 mill or more and i don't know if the rockets can afford him. They may just trade him as an expiring next year for younger, cheap talent and or picks. It is really hard to find great shooters like him who are two-way players. and he and his agent knows this.

burlesk, Hakeemtheking and IBTL like this.
  11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Well said. we will miss him dearly.
    There are enough teams that he will get paid.

He is vital. sucks but true..

Good for him if he gets paid after this year and rocks reap benefit this playoffs. He is playing for that contract.

12. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

But will he have fun being a Rocket for life??

13. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Morey will be thinking about the Butler S+T scenario, even though it's somewhat of a long shot.

Year on year now we have seen disgruntled 'stars' force their way out of teams, with only a small return. I'm not talking about a superstar like AD, but Butler in Minnesota, even Melo at the end with the Knicks. Every year there is another B level star demanding a trade and the return is always less than what everybody expects. Gordon/Capela/Tucker and all the draft picks we have going forward will always be a possibility for trades and some combination of those could get a deal done for the next Jimmy Butler, if Morey chooses. So EGo definitely has value as a trade chip if we extend him, and that's why he turned down an extension last year, cause he know he will always be in trade rumours for an upgrade.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Idk why but fans turn on ego so fast. He is a huge reason we have been big over the last 3 years.

deb4rockets, Patience and jcmoon like this.
  15. macan

macan Member

EG + picks for Jimmy buckets?

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

I see what you're saying. With that in mind, here's the trade I propose:

Rockets in: EG, 2nd rounder, Hartenstein
    Houston out: EG, 2nd rounder, Hartenstein

Rockets out: EG, 2nd rounder, Hartenstein
    Houston in: EG, 2nd rounder, Hartenstein

Why the Rockets do this: They trade their only movable assets, and in return get a 3-point sharpshooter and a young big with potential to back up Capela.
    Why Houston does this: They move a streaky aging vet and a green big man, and get back a 3-point sharpshooter and a young big with potential to back up Capela.

Ger 'er done, Moreys!

Patience, burlesk, Nick_713 and 2 others like this.
  17. Zergling

Zergling Member

You know Adam Silver is going to veto the living hell out of this trade for "waste of paperwork" reasons.

topfive likes this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Stern would have allowed it, though.

19. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

exactly. Some smaller market team is going to offer him big bucks. or even LA or NY if they have cap space then.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm in
    He has been great

Rocket River

deb4rockets likes this.